Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

8.3 liter Cummins- inj pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8.3 liter Cummins- inj pump

i bought a cheap used pump... it does not come off a dodge cummins,

a guy told me its a pump from the 350 Cummins 8.3 liter

a while ago we put a pump like that onto a cummins in a dodge 5.9... worked great. and made great power with the STOCK plate slid all the way BACK.

just wondering what pump do the 8,3 have and if they are bigger and will flow more fuel then the 215. ill swap it with my 215 soon.

thx
Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pump

i would like to know too. i have one. like to put the barrels in a 180.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM

I'd like to see a picture of the barrels side by side. Otherwise, I'm calling BS. Sorry guys, I'm just in sort of a bad mood tonight after reading that hydrogen thread in the fuel forum. The things people will believe......

I'm not slamming anyone personally, but when Piers and the guys at Industrial Injection both say that bigger barrels are very hard to find, I'm very skeptical. Piers also told me that the barrels in the 8.3 pumps are the same size as in the 5.9 pumps. I really wish you were right though because we could make some VERY cool things happen if you were.....
Old 05-13-2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Diesel
I'd like to see a picture of the barrels side by side. Otherwise, I'm calling BS. Sorry guys, I'm just in sort of a bad mood tonight after reading that hydrogen thread in the fuel forum. The things people will believe......

I'm not slamming anyone personally, but when Piers and the guys at Industrial Injection both say that bigger barrels are very hard to find, I'm very skeptical. Piers also told me that the barrels in the 8.3 pumps are the same size as in the 5.9 pumps. I really wish you were right though because we could make some VERY cool things happen if you were.....
ok just let me get back my camera... what are barrels anyway? maybe im wrong... with what i think. ok on the top of the pump are 6 "elementos" we call it in spanish.

when i pushed the delivery valve spring with a long thin stud, from the bottom hole, and blew into it with my mouth from the top, it was easy to hear that there passed a lot more air through the barrel from the ??pump than through the 160 barrel

...and we did instal once such a pump into a dodge, it worked great. after installing a GSK from a stock 160... the ones in there where too loose(guess for less rpms) with 160 gsk it reved to 4000 rpm it had too much power for the dodge owner, so we backed off the stock plate all the way BACK.

ill take pics tomorrow
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 PM
JKM

Sounds like you were swapping the delivery valves , to get at the barrells you would have to completely dis-assemble the pump.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:26 PM

No, you don't. The actual barrel is the piece that is held in place by the two nuts (or bolts) to either side of each injection line. BARRELS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!! They are precision matched to the plunger on an individual basis. Almost all P-7100 pumps have 12 mm plungers and barrels, but the clearance between any of the plungers and barrels is only a few millionths of an inch.

Also, if you ever take a barrel out, the pump should be recalibrated on a pump stand. The holes that those bolts go through are elongated so the barrel can be twisted in the pump. This is how the amount of fuel that each barrel/plunger moves per stroke can be adjusted to get the same volume to each cylinder. But, I took one out and just recalibrated it myself by listening to the engine and twisting it while the engine was idling. I never had any problems after that, but it still isn't the best way to do it.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:37 PM

No, you don't. The actual barrel is the piece that is held in place by the two nuts (or bolts) to either side of each injection line. BARRELS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!! They are precision matched to the plunger on an individual basis. Almost all P-7100 pumps have 12 mm plungers and barrels, but the clearance between any of the plungers and barrels is only a few millionths of an inch.

Also, if you ever take a barrel out, the pump should be recalibrated on a pump stand. The holes that those bolts go through are elongated so the barrel can be twisted in the pump. This is how the amount of fuel that each barrel/plunger moves per stroke can be adjusted to get the same volume to each cylinder. But, I took one out and just recalibrated it myself by listening to the engine and twisting it while the engine was idling. I never had any problems after that, but it still isn't the best way to do it.
ok thanks guys. i fopund out i forgot how it was, i took out 1 barrel of the ?? pump, i marked it, to know how it was turned, then i put in a 160 barrel, and the ??plunger was completly loose, in the 160 barrel... so the 160 barrel is bigger then the other barrel.

i found these Pump Numbers:
*side of the pump, under throttle assembly tag:
169 13585
0 402 736 814
PES6P110A120RS7214

*Back of the pump tag:
QV 350...1200PA964-6
CDC No. 391 7089
Made in USA
Old 05-14-2006, 10:37 PM

Wow... I would never have thought that the 8.3 pumps use smaller plungers. That's wierd.

A lot of people think the 913 pump (215 hp) has bigger plungers than other pumps, but they are all the same diameter from 160 to 370 hp. They are all 12mm. They are different in other ways though, such as helix cut and cam profile.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 PM

Wow... I would never have thought that the 8.3 pumps use smaller plungers. That's wierd.
Im NOT saying the pump is from a 8.3 engine. Im asking.... if anybody knows what engine this pump comes off... just sum1 said its from an 8.3... i bought the pump not knowing what it is...
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM

here are the pics

Link to the pump pics
Old 05-15-2006, 01:46 PM

Ok... at least now we know that there are pumps that make the 160 pump look really good!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Ok... at least now we know that there are pumps that make the 160 pump look really good!
true. but a good running pump for 150 bucks... i can sell it for 500 to the same guy who thinks its a 350 hp pump. he installs them then on 24 valves who need only one reliable pump... its good enough.

we are swapping it with our 215 tonight... lets see the difference.

now:Two 215 pumps standing on the shelf
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Man 12valve you and your buddies sure are some 12valve tinkerin fools I thought I was bad but it seems like its all you do.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by fordsux8269
Man 12valve you and your buddies sure are some 12valve tinkerin fools I thought I was bad but it seems like its all you do.
ok sure...
ok i dont talk here about the other things I do...

today we tested the ??pump, installed yesterday.

took off the 215, this one smokes less then 1/2 as much as the 215, but it has almost really almost the same power then the 215.

with a stock plate forward, it did as much as a 160 with a 6 plate forward.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 PM

the pump with a stock plate had has much power as a stock new 3rd gen cummins. ...at least in the 1/4mile

with almost no smoke at all.

we did install a governor spring kit from a 160 pump, and it revs to 3800 easily and pulls hard untill 3300 RPM. now that works great.

Quick Reply: 8.3 liter Cummins- inj pump