Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3rd gen exhaust brake on 2nd gen S300

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd gen exhaust brake on 2nd gen S300

I have gotten a few emails asking how my sig says 3rd gen exhaust brake when I have a 2nd gen S300 turbo. I was not a member on this forum at the time that I did the conversion, but would gladly post a link to my original thread on TDR explaining how it was done. Here you go guys. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...e-2nd-gen.html

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance of a better description/rundown for those that aren't members of TDR? And any pictures? How does it work for you? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kas83
Any chance of a better description/rundown for those that aren't members of TDR? And any pictures? How does it work for you? Thanks.
I'll do that tonight for you, gotta leave for work right now.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

I got some messages from guys saying that they can't access TDR because they aren't members. I'll just type it out.

I ordered my Super Stock 62/71/14 with a 3rd gen turbine housing & 2nd gen compressor housing. I had to cut my 4" downpipe flange which bolted to the factory turbo & weld on a 3rd gen flange. I then had a issue with the actuator on the Exhaust brake making contact with the A/c lines at the firewall. I found a great trick to fix this issue. The butterfly valve inside of the exhaust brake is attached to the shaft using a clevis type pin. I knocked this pin out of the shaft which allowed me to turn the actuator 180* to where it faces downward. I then reinstalled the pin & attached the actuator arm back on to the Exhaust brake butterfly valve. I installed the clamps which hold the exhaust brake in place. I called Advanced Diesel Technology 304-864-3399 & Doug sold me a nitrous activation throttle pedal switch. This allowed me to activate the vacuum solenoid when the accelerator pedal was released. Doug also sold me a Pac brake Vaccuum solenoid, both for $120 & I bought the lines/fittings to install my brake at the local Napa for $20. I also ordered a Jacobs exhaust brake on/off switch which mounts on my gear shifter for $30. The exhaust brake itself was bought on ebay brand new for $300. It is off of a 04.5-06 & is a true 4" exhaust brake, the 03-04 trucks had a 3 1/2" inch exhaust & I wanted a true 4" exhaust. This brought my grand total to $480 with shipping. Not bad for a 4" exhaust brake, Thanks Advanced Diesel Technology!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

I got some pics to show the clearance with the exhaust brake mounted, also got some pics of the Pacbrake vacuum solenoid & Jacobs shifter switch. I hope that you guys could make it out through all the grime, truck will be cleaned up soon.

Attachment 19530Attachment 19531Attachment 19529
Attachment 19533Attachment 19532
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

I just bought another 04.5 brake on ebay for $305. Brand new. Here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Lent
I just bought another 04.5 brake on ebay for $305. Brand new. Here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32
Ok guys, just figured that I would post some pics of the dowel pin & actuator design. This may help explain the mod a little better. Attachment 19968

Attachment 19969

Attachment 19970 Dowel pin that I removed allowing me to rotate the
vacuum actuator 180*
Attachment 19971 Another pic of the dowel pin
Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work on this write up J. I will add my two cents too this for those doing this route on different setups for switches if they don't want too spend the money on the shifter switch. On mine I used a new dimer switch off a 85 dodge and mounted it a little high up on the fire wall too keep it out of the elements just so the tip of the boot can click it on. I don't want too hear it about my carpet trim job my knife was dull and so I will finish it on Saturday.

Last edited by DodgeCowboy; 02-19-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spellers
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Nice work on this write up J. I will add my two cents too this for those doing this route on different setups for switches if they don't want too spend the money on the shifter switch. On mine I used a new dimer switch off a 85 dodge and mounted it a little high up on the fire wall too keep it out of the elements just so the tip of the boot can click it on. I don't want too hear it about my carpet trim job my knife was dull and so I will finish it on Saturday.

Thanks for adding the pic, good to know that those switches work.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 AM

Where did you get the Jacobs switch? I tried my local Cummins dealer and they say it has been discontinued. Currently I have a two speed axle switch that is way to big and has to be mounted with hose clamps(ugly). Thanks for any info, Eric
Old 02-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ellerman
Where did you get the Jacobs switch? I tried my local Cummins dealer and they say it has been discontinued. Currently I have a two speed axle switch that is way to big and has to be mounted with hose clamps(ugly). Thanks for any info, Eric
I actually bought it from a member on TDR. It was brand new, $30. Have you checked out the Pacbrake switches? They are nice, but my choice would be the one that Genos garage sells. It has the button on the top of the shifter.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the write-up J Lent. I can't use it for a few months (til I get one), but thanks are due none the less!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JLent, does your turbo have an open throat as opposed to a standard divided throat on the inlet side? You said 3rd gen hotside so I assume they just slapped a third gen housing on there and didn't make a special 2nd gen inlet with a 3rd gen outlet.

Maybe this is why your turbo spools so unearthly fast!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Just wanted to say thanks for the write-up J Lent. I can't use it for a few months (til I get one), but thanks are due none the less!
No problem, I love this site & have learned alot from you guys, just doing my part to save you guys the huge PITA of figuring it all out yourselves as I did.
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
JLent, does your turbo have an open throat as opposed to a standard divided throat on the inlet side? You said 3rd gen hotside so I assume they just slapped a third gen housing on there and didn't make a special 2nd gen inlet with a 3rd gen outlet.

Maybe this is why your turbo spools so unearthly fast!
My turbo was the first Super Stock 62/71/14 built by HTT. They used my truck as a guinea pig to test the new [at the time] 71 wheel. It is a standard 2nd gen turbo with the 3rd gen exhaust turbine housing. I have compared spoolup with a few guys & got me wondering, why is my turbo so much faster? One guy said that it is because I have 4.10 gears. I think it is because of the Dragon fly injectors to be honest, but who knows for sure.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

If anyone would like some more pics, ask now while I have a brand new exhaust brake sitting next to me & I'll post them.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen exhaust brake on 2nd gen S300