Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

396 different choices for power...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had been thinking about that same concept for a while now, as I've been gathering supplies for my compounds. The 12v won't have the adjustablilty your talking about, I still figured to use a pressure switch to activate the external wastegate along with the wastegate on the secondary. But route to go is use a 3 way spool type solenoid valve that way when the boost drops and the solenoid closes it allows the line between the wastegates and the solenoid to vent instantly allowing the wastegates to close rapidly. Then as you stated, just tap into the pressure switch to use it as a N2o activator, so wastegates will be open and prevent too big of spikes in cylinder pressures and drive pressures with the N2o flowing.
Tim
Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Now is Nitrous as harmful on a diesel as it is on a gasser?? I've never really played with nitrous let alone payed much attention to it.......but just curious what the affects on a diesel are?

And where would you plumb in the nitrous at? I'm assuming the intake horn would be the best place. And is that where you plumb in the water/meth too? Just curious.......I've never injected anything with anything other than lots of FUEL

~Nick
I myself have no personal experience with the laugh gas on a diesel. But using it on a diesel avoids the main danger gassers face: running lean and having explosive detonation (preignition).

So it appears to be a LOT safer on a diesel, but you still have to respect it and account for certain things. First, nitrous will drastically increase the amount (volume and pressure) of exhaust energy. Since this is what drives the turbo, the possibility of overspeeding the turbo (and hence, grenading it) is VERY real if you don't account for this.

Thus the need to have the WG open when you hit the nitrous. I'd also say that you HAVE to have the WG on a Holset turbo modified so that both volutes of the turbo are vented, because the drive pressure in just one volute could be high enough to pop (overspeed) the turbo.

Remember that in this case, we can't get enough O2 into the engine with the turbo operating within it's design RPM (it's stock and too small for the fueling). So we have to use the nitrous to get more O2 into the engine, while still trying to keep the turbo within shaft speed design limits.

The other threat posed by nitrous is to the headgasket. The nitrous will caused the fuel to burn faster (not just burn more completely). Since it affects RATE of fuel burn, this means it will cause a rise (possibly drastic) in peak cylinder pressure and thus put a LOT more stress on the headgasket sealing. I *should* be able to not worry about a headgasket if 1) you keep the amount of nitrous mild, and 2) you consider retarding timing when the nitrous comes in (just like a gasser would).

So, within those limitations, nitrous would seem to be perfectly safe-- if done properly and respectfully. You have to respect what it can do if allowed the chance.

As for plumbing the nitrous nozzle, I think the intake horn is too close to the head, so I'd install it in the metal pipe just after the intercooler but before the intake horn.

Definitely have to put it after the intercooler, or you defeat the purpose of having one.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottl
.... I've been gathering supplies for my compounds.
WideOpenThrottl has it right!
Get twins and very little settings "versatility" required. That's one way!

Personally, as a ex-pilot, I like playing with switches, scaning gauges and adjusting throttles!
Makes me feel like.... if I just pull back on the steering wheel a little bit..... might get liftoff!

RJ
Old 03-28-2006, 12:59 PM

With a truck like yours, that might just happen
Old 03-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Ummmm......yep. I reckon I'd spend 3 hours sitting on the side of the road at the bottom of the hill a'figgerin' out which of the 396 choices to use to git to the top of the hill with the 5th wheel in tow.
I can hear the conversation now:

Wife: Why are we sitting here? What are you doing?

Me: Quiet! I'm trying to figure out the best setting on all these controls.

Wife: Why?

Me: Because if I can find the best setting, we'll get to the top of this hill 3 seconds more quickly!

Wife: But we've been sitting here 3 hours!

Me: What's your point?

Rusty
Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 PM

LOL!

Touché, Rusty-- Touché
(Edit: found the accent e symbol, it's ALT+0233)

Learn something new every day...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:28 PM

I think someone's already mentioned it, but with enough other air you won't need the ability to control 396 options. With twins and a drag comp, your right foot is an excellent power meter. With Mach 6's, the number of times the Drag Comp was switched off was the same number of times the Drag Comp broke. If I needed to tow, driving with an egg under the throttle produced the same results as turning the box down. Thanks for making me think, Justin.

brandon.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Still, there are advantages of turning the stuff down, then not having to worry about breaking that egg under the pedal. Maybe it's just me, but I like pushing down on the skinny pedal, even if it doesn't help much

Chris
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

It seems that my skinny pedal and fuel gauge are directly connected. The more I push on the pedal the farther down the fuel gauge moves. Maybe I have a special option from dodge that shows me how much pedal I'm using. Yeah. That's it.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
I can hear the conversation now:

Wife: Why are we sitting here? What are you doing?

Me: Quiet! I'm trying to figure out the best setting on all these controls.

Wife: Why?

Me: Because if I can find the best setting, we'll get to the top of this hill 3 seconds more quickly!

Wife: But we've been sitting here 3 hours!

Me: What's your point?

Rusty
In a nutshell why I love this site.
The brainstorming never ceases, and there is always comic relief
Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 PM

I have a question. You mentioned being able to run a large injector like a Mach 6 and setting the Smarty to half power in order to be able to tow. How much power would this knock off of your total HP? Say you have a truck that makes 500hp on mach 6's and stock ecm, what kind of power could you expect from the injectors and Smarty at half power?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 AM

Did you fall in love with your hx35 Hohn
Is it worth needing three types of fuel?
Air is free and plentiful, just pump some more in there
Even jumping from a hx-35 to a htb2/62 is an increase of 145% more air being flowed (cfm's by my crude calculations based on flawed #'s =P) It just sounds like your're trying to work around the limitations of the turbo instead of the obvious solution. Good brainstorm and good discussion guys
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by rockjeep73
I have a question. You mentioned being able to run a large injector like a Mach 6 and setting the Smarty to half power in order to be able to tow. How much power would this knock off of your total HP? Say you have a truck that makes 500hp on mach 6's and stock ecm, what kind of power could you expect from the injectors and Smarty at half power?
Assuming the fueling box is off, Smarty's half power will reduce power by...drumroll please...

50%.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phatboy
Did you fall in love with your hx35 Hohn
Is it worth needing three types of fuel?
Air is free and plentiful, just pump some more in there
Even jumping from a hx-35 to a htb2/62 is an increase of 145% more air being flowed (cfm's by my crude calculations based on flawed #'s =P) It just sounds like your're trying to work around the limitations of the turbo instead of the obvious solution. Good brainstorm and good discussion guys

I was thinking of adding Nitromethane and LOX injection, just to add to the "flexibility" of having more options.

I'm not married to my HX35. But spoolup is a quality of life issue, and I'm trying to keep as much of it as I can. Perhaps it's because i'm just really impatient-- y'know that kind that can't wait for the next section of the revolving door and get's caught in it.

This new Garrett BB kit is REALLY piquing my interest. It's a BB GT37, and should spool as good or better than stock. More spool is more gooder.

I'll come right out and say that drugs are compromise and not as preferable as just having more air.

But if you are clinging tooth and nail to quick spoolup, what other options do you have??

The other thing is that drugs, while not ideal and more complicated ARE CHEAPER. For $550, I can get water/meth that will add 60hp and drop some EGT-- while STILL letting me keep the spoolup I have. These are all good things to me.

If I went to a bigger charger that would give me 60hp and drop 200° or so, I'd have to give up a decent amount of spoolup to do so-- at least with the journal bearing turbos that are widely available.

I'm at this point: "My Stock turbo is the bad option for me, except all others are worse"-- at least from a spoolup point of view and a financial POV.

Keep in mind we're dealing with a cheapskate here (me).
Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Before someone is crazy enough to follow Hohn's reasoning...

I HAVE Mach sixers in my truck, even with those SW#0 is a DOG!
No smoke, EVER! Does that tell you something?

Marco

P.S. Having an Italian keyboard has it's adavntages sometimes. à, è, ì, ò, are already there, no need for ASCI codes!