Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

191's are in need advice on egt's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Now you can mess with the star wheel if you haven't already. It will give you more low end power. Turn the wheel towards the engine till the smoke on acceleration isn't acceptable. It won't effect your egts.

A lot of folks don't realize how sensitive the adjustments on the these pumps are and blindly slide the plate all the way forward. They'll get more power with it back a bit along with lower egts. I equate the adjustments on these pumps to the points or spark plug gap on a gasser where just a few hundredths is the difference between good running and not running at all.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infidel:

You are absolutely correct back the plate up from full forward untill the arm is riding on the plate properly. At this point + or - a little you will get max H.P. and the lowest EGT's. The starwheel controls low end smoke, to reduce low end smoke turn the starwheel to the rear a couple of turns at a time to get in the sweet spot area and then a few clicks at a time +or-.

Bruce
Old 04-21-2004, 11:56 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sliding the plate back some will help definately full forward is not the best, also you can adjust the govenor arm to start the fueling and de-dueling in a different position on the plate profile.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:55 PM

what amount does the governor lever acutually move ?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:11 PM

Alot you can adjust it to start in any position along a plates profile, i think mine is 1/2 way down on the half moon of my 10 plate maybe a little less so my fueling is starting hard upon boost at 1600 and actually is at the lowest point of the plate from 1800-2100 where it seems to peak at 1800-1900 then start leaning out 2200.

like i said You can set that thing to start putting the coal to the fire at the right point and use the plate profile to back out the fuel and keep it from building too much heat.

Ask Jim Fulmer or one of the other guys for the specifics but that was basically all i did, i chose a place about 3/4 forward with my plate that worked really well, then the EGT's were a little off base so i started moving the gov arm to start my fueling at a diff location so like i said it would start leaning out at the right time.

Alot of ramblings hopefully you can sort through them.

Dusty
Old 04-21-2004, 01:16 PM

Makes sense I think I need some snaps or some kind of quick disconnect on the afc housing I think I am about to wear out the bolts Do you know how much vertical movement does the arm acutually have.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:29 PM

Yeah good idea also dont let your buddy over tighten the AFC bolts, the threads pop right out of the pump Im going to have to drill and tap mine just dreading doing it.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:12 PM

Infidel I was just reading on the tdr that Mark from piers recommended not to use the copper gasket under the 191 delivery valves would this make a difference should I pull mine out???
Old 04-25-2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by boughtadodge
Infidel I was just reading on the tdr that Mark from piers recommended not to use the copper gasket under the 191 delivery valves would this make a difference should I pull mine out???
I'd give Piers a call and make sure.
I could be mistaken but think the smaller pre'96 pumps require the washer and later ones not.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:36 PM

I have seen latter pumps (215's) without them also have you ever seen a overflow valve from marty come apart and start leaking fuel one I put on for a customer on wendsday came apart yesterday and created a heck of a leak I'll have to call marty in the morning and see about getting it replaced.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:30 AM

Never seen one of Marty's OF valves fail but I'm sure he'll cover it.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:12 PM

Infidel I pulled with the truck first time since the dv's I think I actually lost some horse power. I had to haul a dead 86 chevy 3/4 ton and it just seemed like I had more available power I could get it past 1200 in a heart beat. Would the 181's be better at this point I am ready to install the 131's back in . Is anyone interested in 191's I would do some tradeing????
Old 04-27-2004, 06:01 PM

I imagine you mean you lost useable hp, the egts come up too fast. I've had it happen quite often when we think we've got a guy's pump just right till he puts a trailer behind it.
Think you already know the solutions, less fuel (plate back) or more air (bigger housing/turbo)
Never seems to end does it?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 PM

Reading this thread has generated a few questions in my head . I slid my banks plate all the way forward. After reading the previous posts, im going to slide it back about a 10th/inch as advised. Now, i dont think my gov. arm was acually sitting on the plate after i glanced at it full forward. Should it be on the plate? Is this going to cause damage? How hard is it to adjust, have breifly seen a descriptiton of the process w/pics, looks like a pita. Does the arm move up or down durning acceleration? Im trying to see if i have the knowlege to "tune" the lever to plate profile for the "sweet spot". If anyone has some tips of were on the plate profile the lever should be, i can post a pic of it. I just cant put it together in my head the whole profile of the plate to rpm and fueling deal. Does half way up correspond to around 1800 rpms? Stuff like that. TIA -Jake
Old 04-27-2004, 07:05 PM

You need to pop the rear cover off your pump and adjust the gov arm. Check out piers site for the "Super secret gov arm adjustment" i think is what they call it, set the arm to touch then decide what kind of fueling curve you want mby moving it a little further down or slding the plate around some more..

No damage though yet youre fine your just not acheiving your full potential since the amount of fuel needed to get the arm to lift and fall onto the plate is more so your on boost fueling is not fully following the profile of the plate.

Quick Reply: 191's are in need advice on egt's