Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1200* EGTs - how long can CTD handle that?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 1200* EGTs - how long can CTD handle that?

I've been trying to find more definitive info as to how long (seconds or minutes?) the CTD can handle sustained EGTs in the neighborhood of 1200*. While moving a load of our belongs from Tulsa to Colorado Springs recently I trucked across Kansas on I-70 with very strong headwinds beating against the truck and especially the home-made cargo trailer (6' high walls all around an 18 ft, 7000-pound rated car hauler trailer) that was loaded to the max (I could see where the outside shoulders of the tires actually made contact with the trailer fender lips during the trip ). While on this leg of the trip I kept a close eye on EGTs that hovered around 1200* on several occasions. These high winds were too much for the heavy canvas tarp I had secured to the front of the trailer as well as the poly tarp I had covering the top behind the canvas one, eventually ripping both of them beyond any further use (I even had several ratchet straps going over the top to hold them down so they wouldn't billow up, to reduce the stress). This trailer, in this configuration, is about as non-aerodynamic as you can imagine anything being; it's like pulling a giant flat sail behind the truck that catches a LOT more wind than you would think, adding a lot of drag.

Also when I was pulling this same trailer w/o any contents, but with the side walls still up, from
Colorado Springs to our family cabin in South Fork I encountered more very high winds (headon and side winds) and several mountain passes as well that caused the EGTs to rise to 1200 and sometimes higher, like 1300. BTW, my boost during all these high temp runs will range from mid-teens to mid-twenties with the throttle being used just to keep road speeds constant (not necessarily accelerating although there were a few times I did). The truck can make 34-35 boost when pushing it hard enough to do so, but when towing like described I wasn't doing this or needing to as the engine had plenty of power on tap; I was only using the power needed to move it down the road at speed limit or slightly below as conditions warranted.

I've done a search here on EGTs and really didn't find the answer I'm looking for so, my question is this; how long can the CTD handle EGTs in the 1200* range w/o damage to the engine or its components? I know a lot of the guys on this site haul for a living or at least haul a lot more often than I do (although I'm sure getting to do a lot more than usual lately) and figured you would have a lot more experience and knowledge in this area and wouldn' t mind passing it along. I hope Haulin_In_Dixie will chime in since he has done a lot of hauling and I've read a lot of his posts about EGTs issues ans such.

I know changing my exhaust to a less restrictive 4" will help some (that's already in the plans), as well as going to a larger turbo for more air with less heat than the HX35 can produce. I'm not trying to find out what I need to get these under control so much as how long I can run the engine at these EGT levels w/o causing harm.

One thing is for certain; using the car hauler trailer with the sidewalls I built has more than paid for the trailer when compared to what it would cost to rent a large enough rented moving truck to move our stuff.

So, if anyone can enlighten me on this topic I would greatly appreciate it as I have a few more trips from Tulsa to Colorado Springs to make before all of our stuff is finally moved. Thanks in advance for any and all comments and knowledge you can pass on.

Steve
Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What you are looking for is staying below 1,420F degrees. IMHO 1,200F EGT's are fine all day long. Ocassionally, racer's EGT's can hit 1,500+ degree's, but damage can be done even with one exposure so 1420F should be your limit for towing. Tow away!

I'm sure this is is up for debate, but as a general rule 1200 is fine.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1200 thats about cruising for me i really don't know where mine ends up i just know its way past 1600*. i figure i just drive it hard til it blows up then thsat means i get to put better parts in it next time
Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 PM

Just to clarify, are you guys saying 1,200 is OK for a SUSTAINED period (say 5 miles uphill?)? That would make me nervous too.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by barracuda
Just to clarify, are you guys saying 1,200 is OK for a SUSTAINED period (say 5 miles uphill?)? That would make me nervous too.
You could run 1200F all day long 100% of the time with no ill effect on the engine. Upon shut down I would let it "cool down" for 3-4 mins or 300F.

I would install the 4" exhaust when you get time and money. Helps the beast breath better and lower's EGT's.

Happy towing!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by halerazor

1200 thats about cruising for me i really don't know where mine ends up i just know its way past 1600*. i figure i just drive it hard til it blows up then thsat means i get to put better parts in it next time
Going over 1,420F causes some weaking of piston tops. How much is up for debate. I've read of racers to see 1,750F for short periods of time.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1200 is fine all day as long as you trust your gauge...
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's great info guys! Thanks for the feedback. So, if 1200 is OK all day long what is considered the highest sustained "all day long" EGT that's safe? Is Geico266 on the money with not going over 1420? Could I safely run at say 1300-1350 "all day long" w/o damage to the engine?

Steve
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geico266
I've read of racers to see 1,750F for short periods of time.
You talking in a qtr mile run for maybe 3-5 sec. over 1200*!

I know of one CTD (a 24v) that burned up #6 cyl towing 25,000 lbs on level ground at sustained 1250*.....with just an EZ and a set of medium injectors. This was an HO engine, which may make a difference.

Personally, 1100* is my limit on long sustained upgrades. I'm may be a little conservative but IMHO, 1400*, mentioned above....is way to high.

Thought I read a while back, something about factory pistons starting to melt on the crowns at a sustained 1300*?

Just my .02
Old 08-11-2005, 01:54 PM

No, from what I understand 1200 is the max sustainable temp. Anything over 1200 is for a short amount of time only. Pretty much until you look and see that it is over then you need to back out of it a bit.

justmy.002

good luck
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 PM

I think we need to keep in mind the number on the egt gauge is more of a average, being you may have a cylinder namely #6 at 100 degrees or higher due to design. Hence why the HO burned a piston up running at 1250. I will also join the 1100 degree sustained pull aggreement, If I knew every cylinder exact temp then may I would go to 1300 pull but until then nope, short burst shouldn't hurt to much though. I have seen 1650 in my truck for a couple seconds not that do that every day.

Jason
Old 08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check my photo album for what happens when you get one too hot. It gets expensive.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by infidel
1200 is fine all day as long as you trust your gauge...
Do you know of a way to calibrate EGT's?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 PM

The way I "calibrate egt's is to either test the incoming resistance from the probe or simplier use a ifared heat gun, the down side is you can only test at idle or near idle with no load these ways, which couldmake a big adijustment 1000 degrees hotter.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:52 PM

its the end of the day and i didnt take the time to read all of the details of your post Rockyhud (sorry), but I hope you are talking about PRE-turbo!

Quick Reply: 1200* EGTs - how long can CTD handle that?