Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

**Aeroturbine on 03 HO - results**

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 02:49 PM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**Aeroturbine on 03 HO - results**

Observations - <br><br>#1. did not fit as they expained....maybe my mistake. Others can figure this out if they purchase one themselves.<br>#2. Did not notice a difference in Hp or throttle response. Maybe I am not sensitive enough to notice the difference and I do not have before and after dyno #'s. Make your own conclusions on that one.<br>#3. Truck is LOUD under acceleration. There is a sound file on a web site of the 03 with aero on it...This does not represent what MY HO 6 speed sounds like going through the gears. If the truck is above 1800 RPM, it sounds close, but....there is a big difference with a load.<br>#4. Turbo whistle is very noticable - that I do like.<br>#5. If you will be hauling a substantial load, I would think that the noise level would be way too much. Watching people in cars next to you cringe from the noise is embarrassing for me...and I live in the &quot;dirty south&quot;. Maybe I am getting old....the wife tells me that I am any way.<br>#6. When shifting and the revs drop the tone of the exhaust changes considerably. If you are excellerating through 1500 RPM's, this results in a very loud import-car-exhaust sound inside and outside of the truck - that I do not like. A post on the TDR &quot;...the envy of the ricers...&quot; that's no sh..! Auto trannies may sound different.<br>#7. Had to weld the pipe due to the clamps not holding it together...again, maybe my mistake.<br>#8. Only 2 days on the truck. Too early for milage data. However, I did fill up the day it was put on.<br><br><br>These are just the facts and results that I have obtained on my truck. Your results may vary...but what do I know....not much!!<br><br>Here is an unwanted suggestion from a rookie - put your change together and get the full system from someone that gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling. This won't be on the truck long....maybe not long enough to post milage results.<br><br>As a matter of fact, that &quot;brraaaaaaapppp&quot; around 1500 is so bad for me that I don't care if I net 10 mpg gain. It will be replaced and I will try again with something else. Maybe I won't like that either..who knows. I am picky. : <br><br>the good, the bad and the ugly...<br>FWIW
Old 07-17-2003, 03:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re:**Aeroturbine on 03 HO - results**

Is this your first diesel? Give it some miles on that diesel first it will get better as time gos buy.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:15 PM

JKE,<br> I went to their website and looked around... I noticed that what they claim as biggest bragging point the lowering of EGT's. Do you notice this at all?<br><br> I don't think I would be interested in this product based on the information that you have provided. It sounds pretty disgusting to me... (from your description) I also noticed it was 249.00??? for just the muffler? 2 or 3 mpg gain is the expected gain with the diesel.<br><br> Most of the testimonials I saw were Ford PS owners also. Maybe it is a real wake up for those motors ???<br><br>Maybe it is snakeoil ???<br><br>Thanks for reporting your findings<br><br>James
Old 07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gases that swirl travel a longer distance through the pipe. Gas that travel in a strainght line ( turbulent flow ) travel a shorter distance. If the idea is to remove hot gas from the pipe the quickest, generally you want them to travel a shorter distance = less work.<br>With the caveat that the gases can cool down and velocity decrease. Perhaps the aeroturbine thingy could accelerate a cooling exhaust gas situation, but there is not a free lunch in any type of work done. Who knows, maybe if the placement was just right and the temperature of the exhaust gas was within a specified limit, it may help. Of course with the different turbos, injectors, fueling boxes, etc it would be tough to build a muffler that would be optimum for all of the variables all of our trucks have.<br><br>Don~<br><br><br><br>
Old 07-17-2003, 06:18 PM
JKE

DB,

Yes it is. 11,000 miles on truck in 5 months...not as much as some but...this has no packing so, no difference as time goes by....this is very load and rpm dependant...maybe all exhaust for the 03's are like that. What do you think from what I have posted. I need experience. If you have it, what do you really think? Please let me know. After reading this, it comes across rude. This is not what I am intending. Going staight to the pint.
Yeah the pint to......point...bottums up.

James,

I have no pyro....but any straight through exhaust will accomplish this (lower EGT's). Please keep that in mind when you purchase...

Don,

Placement does have a dramatic affect on sound and this may change from person to person depending on how installation goes....I am not telling anyone to not purchase this muff set-up. If you want to try; go ahead (I do not mean you personally). I mean if any one wants to try go ahead...If I have not typed the actuall results and you get different with a HO 6 speed, then dismiss me as a fool. Above 1800 it sounds good but loud.

My milage, according to the overhead : is suffering by 1 mpg because I am keeping the revs high to avoid the &quot;brraaaaappppp&quot;. I am not towing when this occurs.

I feel like the sound profile is not accurate...even I can sit in the driveway and rev the motor and get good sound. In the real world, this sounds very different.

I tell you what, I will try to get a volunteer (sucker) to ride in the bed as I run the sh.. out of it and let you guys decide. Keep in mind that you will not get the full appreciation of the SPL from this exhaust. I will have him or her (my wife), she's a good one, hold the recording device over the bed on the exhaust side and run through the gears under all situations..... this will require several sound files for you to get the full monty....I still say pile your change and bung your wedge on the full system. Once again, what do I know??

The spiral flow may be it and I think that the **DPPI** is what you are refering to. I have already have been incontact with them....That is next on the list and I will post about that just as I have on the aero-ricer muffler. Love it or hate it.

Rod,

be talking to you soon brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't flame me. I know no other way except direct and straight to the point.

FWIW

John

**sorry about that typ-o Mark**

Old 07-17-2003, 07:02 PM
JKE

If any one is interested in the sound files, let me know. If no response, I will not worry about it.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Chapter President

I am interested in the sound file
Old 07-17-2003, 07:14 PM
JKE

I will work on it for you...stay tuned
Old 07-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Banned

JKE,<br><br>Great post sorry you are not liking that Aeroturbine, I also wondered if it was snake oil or a new &quot;break thru in exhaust technology&quot;, but I guess DonM. spelled that out pretty well didn't he. Snake oil wins from what you have experienced I guess. I would be interested in the sound files as well to make a comparision to what you originally heard etc.<br><br>Mark @ DPPI<br><br>P.S. Try to put up with it long enough to see if the MPG claims are false or not. If you can't I understand.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:35 AM
JKE

#1. Individuals have different preferences in sound...others may like it<br>#2. I doubt that one 6 speed to the next will have a dramatic difference in sound....slightly...maybe.<br>#3. see below.<br><br>Grab the ear plugs boys. I found a victim...I mean volunteer for the in the bed drag fest . I am on the east coast and will try to get this recorded this afternoon and post the stuff on Monday (7/21). I will...HE will record full throttle pass through 5th depending on our location maybe 4th or 6th ;D (I always start in 2nd unloaded), normal acceleration through all gears and 1/2 throttle acceleration up hill to simulate some load. These should cover all aspects of this muffler. I will also note rpm at shift, rpm after shift and throttle application for each and every sound bite. I may even do one of the &quot;stand in the drive way and rev it&quot; deals for a comparison. Oh, one more thing, I will also hold it at the import-car-exhaust stage as long as possible for you all to make your own judgement. Any other details that you guys would like to hear/know?????? Or should I say, is there anything else that you would like from this &quot;test&quot;?? Stay tuned. <br><br>Sorry so long.<br><br>John
Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
JKE

I know there are a few guys on here from Greenville, SC. If you guys care to hear this in person, send me a PM and we can try to get together. I am in Clemson, SC...go Tigers.....I know, Miami will kill them...It's a home town thing. I even loved the Tampa Bay Bucs when John Mckay was head coach...If you guys are old enough to remember...fans wearing bags over their heads.LMAO. AM I getting old? ???<br><br>c-ya
Old 07-18-2003, 01:48 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the Aeroturbine was supposed to be quieter than the stock set-up or at least than the other aftermarket stuff.<br><br>Don~
Old 07-18-2003, 02:55 PM
JKE

No way. This is no where near the same as the stock muffler.

You can listen for yourself when we finish the testing and recording.

will files soon......

John
Old 07-21-2003, 06:50 AM
JKE

sorry, too busy to get them done this weekend. will try to get it done within the next couple of days.