Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Yukon Gold Rush

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yukon Gold Rush

I am leaving tommorrow for the north. I am headed to Whitehorse ,Dawson City, Skagway Alaska. I will be stoping at many other points along the way but those are the high lites. Got my Northern Lite camper loaded, with metal detector and gold pan.
So I just hope I don't come out the back end of a Grizzly bear.
I guess there is a bar at Hyder Alaska where if you have a drink they like to put a thumb from some old miner in the drink Well maybe just to say I was there.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Have a great trip. The 'skeeters are big enuff to carry you off. Panning for gold is hard work, if you never done it. I tried it for fun up in Canada.

Drink the drink with the thumb in it. To be a real sourdough I think you have to: pee across the Yukon River, sleep with a grizzly bear and shoot a squaw, or somthing like that. Take lotsa pix and post when you can. Be safe out there. Great time of year to go. fun in the sun, all day and all night.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 PM

I pulled my 25 foot trailer out to Fairbanks last summer. Great trip! Total of 10,000 miles. The best "up close & personal" wild animals were in nothern Canada rather than Alaska. Denali NP, in Alaska, is a great park but animals are usually a half mile away. If you go past Glacier NP, in Montana, stop in the Two Medicine campground. The icefields parkway is neat which is just before getting on the Alaska Highway at Dawson. If you have time, stop in Whitehorse, Yukon. About 2/3 of the people in the Yukon live in this neat little town. While you're there, take in the "Frantic Follies." If you stop to observe wildlife along the Alaska highway, keep your doors closed and windows rolled up or you'll pick up hundreds of mosquitos intent on sucking all your blood! Have fun!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I tried panning for gold once in CA. I then bought a 3 inch dredge and got a permit for it. After 2 weeks of solid work under water in the bottom of a stream my exact findings amounted to $1.45 in gold. I had a lot of fun though. Gold is where you find it.

Edwin
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you make it to Fairbanks, check out the "40 BELOW" cabin in Pioneer Park. Drive a nail with a banana, Watch coffee freeze when you toss it in the air...

If you're real tough, You'll go in with out a jacket
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 AM

Did some work up in Delta Junction this winter, had a 02 CTD 4x4 for a RENTAL PAID FOR BUY MY COMPANY! It doesnt get much better. I worked in 52 below for short periods and loved the whole trip. Only bad thing was down time siting in the truck while everything else was working properly it doesn't produce and heat at idle. Good thing its was a rental and a AT so you could put it in drive and give it some RPMs while holding the break. You have never been cold until your eye lids freeze together and you try to pull out your eye lashes with mittens on!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by BIGSCOTT
Did some work up in Delta Junction this winter, had a 02 CTD 4x4 for a RENTAL PAID FOR BUY MY COMPANY! It doesnt get much better. I worked in 52 below for short periods and loved the whole trip. Only bad thing was down time siting in the truck while everything else was working properly it doesn't produce and heat at idle. Good thing its was a rental and a AT so you could put it in drive and give it some RPMs while holding the break. You have never been cold until your eye lids freeze together and you try to pull out your eye lashes with mittens on!

And you didn't call or come by.............