Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is your dog "blacklisted"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
My wife has the equipment and potential to be a prostitute too, but she's not.
You're my hero...
Old 10-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
You're my hero...
At least I don't pay her! Well.....directly anyway. It is all hers in the end!

Anyway, right on Go 4LO. Thanks for doing the math....it won't convince the folks that have made up their minds aleady, but it does prove a huge point. I'm burning all my 5 gallon buckets by the way....so I don't drown on accident.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:16 PM

GO 4LO...well put!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Here in my home they have put a ban on Pitbuls as of a year ago. Last weeks newspaper had an article about a pitbull owner trying to fight the ban saying there dog is not mean and would never bite. This weeks paper says Pitbull knocks down and bites 6 yr old boy in the leg. Same person's dog that last week had an article in the paper. They are still animals and who know's what might provoke an attack. I have 2 english mastiffs that i feel would never harm anyone, but the day they ever show a hint of doing something like that they will be gone
Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 PM

I think most of the problems come from people that let their dogs roam free...at least around here anyways. I have a German Shepard and a German Shepard/Akita mix, but I always keep them in the yard or kennel. Now if a strange dog of an "aggresive breed" were to wander into my yard while my kids were out it would certainly get a taste of my three and a half inch, 18 inch barreled scattergun.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 PM

I work at a dog kennel. I dont care for pitbulls one bit. They are bread to bite, whether you want to believe it or not. The owner plays a big roll in the way a dog acts but you still cant change genetics. Some of the pitbulls we take care of are good tempered dogs but pits tear up more beds and things than any other breed of dog we have. And I think anyone who has little children around these dogs are asking for trouble. I dont have problems with Rotties though, all the ones Ive been around have been d@mn good dogs but I still dont know if I'd ever trust one around small children. I own an australian shepherd and it an awesome dog!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 AM

If my APBT is not a breed why does he have UKC (united kennel club)and ADBA (american dog breeders Association)papers?

The staffordshire terrier is actually the same breed they just registered them that way to get away from the old bull baiting Pit bulls name.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2 busy
If my APBT is not a breed why does he have UKC (united kennel club)and ADBA (american dog breeders Association)papers?

The staffordshire terrier is actually the same breed they just registered them that way to get away from the old bull baiting Pit bulls name.
The American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed. The American Staffordshire Terrier is a different breed. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a different breed.

The term 'pit bull' describes a type of dog fitting a certain description (i.e. having relatively short hair, blocky head, and muscular body) - not any single breed. Hope that helps.

Chris
Old 10-27-2006, 08:49 AM

Yesterday morning me and my dad got a taste of the kind of muscle my pit/boxer has. We got woken up at 5:00 saying that she has a face full of porcupine quils. It took us 3 hours to get all the quills out including the ones under her skin, the whole time she fought to get up and away,but not once did she growl or try to bite one of us. Grented it took a few hours before she would come near either of us. I spent all of yesterday porcupine hunting becuase that totaly sucks to do(pull quills) exspecially when you have a hard time holding the dog down.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:50 AM

I dont think its the pit bull's fault for the reputation it has developed.
I blame the irresponsible owners for getting the pit bull as we know it in to the predicament its in these days.

Unfortuneately an owner cannot predict a live animal's intentions or potential behaviors.

Most will try to argue this topic like a progun/antigun debate but this is much different.

I for one have a greater care for this issue now that I have a little boy...

I would support a ban be it local or nationally of the pit bull breed as we know it today.

My .02
Old 10-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

I think it is funny how the thread started out as a 'category' and most everyone only posts stuff about pits. I looked back on my first post and that is what I did, but that is the only breed that I have any experience with. It is sad that everyone 'singles them out' as a breed. My appologies if that is how my post looked, I'm smart enough to realize that any breed can be this way and I feel bad the pit gets all the bad publicity. It makes me sick to tell you the truth. My post wasn't intended to look that way. Sorry 'pit' guys. I love those dogs. In my lifetime, I have been bitten by a Schnauzer, a Cocker Spaniel, and after several minutes of thinking back, I believe that is it. Wow! Looks like I really do have a better chance at drownin' in a 5 gallon bucket!

And Ddge6spdRam, that porcupine is laying about two miles east of my house on the road. I think an 18 wheeler got him! Do you mind coming and getting your buddy out of here? He is beginning to get a little ripe!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

i want all beagles banned and humanely disposed of because ive been bitten by 3 dogs in my life...you guessed it...all beagles.

they are unpredictable and aggressive since they are "hunting dogs" and are taught to attack and corner their prey or just plain chase it. this supports the theory that these dogs have a an instinct to hunt bred into them and they are dangerous to small children playing the yard.

i stand fully behind my proposal to ban all beagles since in my hometown nobody has been killed my a pitbull but i have scars and medicals bills from my encounters with the dangerous beagles, who could have killed me had the owner not come to my rescue and pulled the dogs off me.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:59 AM

Long Winded, Sorry!

I have followed this topic from the first post. I don't care what breed it is. If you chain the poor animal up to dead car in the driveway, neglect it, feed it gunpowder, kick it and yell at it, and make it live out in the weather with no shelter, It WILL return to it's automatic, regularly scheduled programming. End of story.

That unfortunately is the way ALOT of pit bulls have been bred and raised. It's not the dog's fault, it's the idiot owners who have realized the "mean" that happens when the dog is mistreated. They take advantage because they are in a situation that they feel a "Guard Dog" is needed, and a pitbull is just big enough to really start to hurt people if provoked, yet small enough to not require huge space and food requirements.

THAT idot owner also isn't the worlds most responsible owner, in that he or she probably won't build a fence to keep the dog in and people out of the animal's territory. Soooo, when they free themselves up from the confines of the dead '84 Cutless in the driveway, they head down the street and the first object of thier hatred (HUMANS) happens to get mauled. Or a kid happens in to the territory, see's a "little doggie" and approaches; to get mauled. Countless other scenarios exist such as these and it's a shame.

If you were treated like that by humans, you'd attack one too if suddenly given the opportunity to do so. It's all in how they are raised, and therefore a breedwide ban is completely illogical. It should be case by case but that costs more money from tax payers to have hearings on a per case basis. Since people hate thier money to be messed with, bans happen and it's sad. What do you do? Money first, right? Me too.

I personally have a 135 pound female Great Dane. She would not intentionally hurt anything. She because of her sheer size has hurt me accidentally. That is something that you have to understand before getting that breed. They don't understand how big they are, they want to be lap dogs! However there is something about that breed that is inately cautious around children, and it is great to watch. My female cowers and lays down when meeting kids. You can see the dog trying not to hurt them, as if they know that they are a bit more fragile than Dad. And they have been banned on blacklists too. They drew Scooby as a scared and nervous dog for a reason, it's true!

Completely illogical rules made by impulsive, illogical people with more power than knowledge.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
my friend you have the worlds most viscious dog and it WILL most defineitely attack and kill all the kids posted in your pictures. its time for you to face the fact Mr. Spunbearing

the day my pitbull brutally attcks and kills a child for any reason whatsoever i will be the one put a bullet in her head. i purposefully try to anger her, pin her down, hold her head, put my arm in her jaws, take away her bones or food, smacking her nose when she does wrong and she sits there with a sad look on her face wondering why i am doing it.

i wish some close minded people could follow the rule of "keep quiet and let them think you are a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
hehe yep I've been around dozens of pitbulls for over 20 years on a daily basis but I don't know anything about them. Mine are the scariest. For some reason I wasn't able to post back for the last few days but it's working now. Go4 you brought up several good points and I thank you for that. Let me dispell some of the wives tales that I've seen on here. First of all pitbulls were never bred to grab the "neck" of a bull. They grab the nose and it is impressive to see a 50 pound dog bring down a bull. I've only seen it once in a video from spain but wow what a dog. Someone also said that american staffordshire terriers and pitbulls are different dogs. No they are not. AKC decided that it would not recognise a pitbull terrier. It is the same dog with slightly different breed standards between UKC, AKC, and ADBA. If you don't believe me look it up. Petey from the lil rascals was the first recognised american staffordshire terrier. If I recall correctly it was in 1936. There are several dogs that have dual registration as amstaff/apbt. Someone said in here that they were a history major. I hope that you will look into the history of the pitbull. The pitbull was always thought of as a good family dog for over a hundred years in this country until they fell into the wrong hands over the last 15 years or so. As an example look at advertising in the earlier part of the century when petey was on the lil rascals, the shoes that people bought were buster brown and the mascot was a pitbull, and RCA had a pitbull as their mascot. The first war dog that ever served our country was a pitbull named SGT. Stubby. Google it. Look back at the war propaganda posters, they all feature the all american pitbull dog. Someone mentioned that Helen Keller had an Akita. That may be true but she also owned a pitbull. Look at the history of the people that have owned pitbulls and you will be suprised. Yes. Presidents, inventors, all kinds of historically significant people. The dog hasn't changed. Unfortunately the people that tend to own them has changed. I love the breed but probably about 70% of the people that I see with pitbulls shouldn't even own a guppy. I could rattle on for days on end because I am passionate about my dogs but I'll let you guys off of the hook now. If anyone has questions let me know.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 AM

Sorry I lied. hehe A couple more comments. I've been trying to bite my tongue.
Socialization is the key component with ANY dog. A dog is a social animal and needs to be around people and other dogs to be fulfilled. If you take a social animal and chain it up with no contact you WILL have a dog that doesn't know how to act around people and other animals. Animals are no different that people. We are born with many natural urges that are wrong and our parents teach us right from wrong. We learn what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Dogs are no different. They need that guidance. Please people lets be responsible with our animals. Don't get a dog if you don't have time for it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Is your dog "blacklisted"?