Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is your dog "blacklisted"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's an animal. An owner cannot be there 24 hours a day watching it. History shows pits and other dogs are vicious dogs.

My two questions still have not been answered.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charliez
It's an animal. An owner cannot be there 24 hours a day watching it. History shows pits and other dogs are vicious dogs.

My two questions still have not been answered.
Your questions are hypothetical and could not be answered unless someone had been in that terrible situation. I personally don't like pits, but that is because of the owner lack of controll over their dog, not the breed itself.

History also shows that most people are STUPID. Sad but true. Those people are the ones with dogs that attack children. Also, some children try to play with stray dogs instead of being weary of them. That is the parents' fault. I am in no way saying it is a child's fault if it gets attacked, but if they were better educated about dog behavior it could be prevented. I don't know how many kids I've seen hit and kick dogs thinking they are playing only to find out the dog doesn't like being slapped on the nose repeatedly.

Basically, nobody is to blame unless there is blatent disreguard on the pet owner's part. I've actually heard parents tell their kids to kick dogs to make them go away. That is the parents fault for telling their child something like that.

I have another hypothetical question for you. What if a kid let your dog out and beat it. And as a result of this the dog mauled the kid. Whose fault is it then? What would you say to that parent? Too bad your kid's a moron? It just goes to show we have to be cautious with a dangerous animal and be able to determine if you are capable of taking responsibility for anything that happens. And you have to ask yourself if you did what you could to prevent it.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Just a plain ole guy

"What if a kid let your dog out and beat it. And as a result of this the dog mauled the kid. Whose fault is it then? What would you say to that parent? Too bad your kid's a moron? It just goes to show we have to be cautious with a dangerous animal and be able to determine if you are capable of taking responsibility for anything that happens. And you have to ask yourself if you did what you could to prevent it."

A kid can't let any of my dogs out. First of all, there are no kids around to do so, and just in case, they are behind a NEW and LOCKED fence and gate, with a childprof lock.

My neigfhbor just recently had to shoot his own pit, becuase it attatcked his wife. The person that raised it, walked it and played with it every day. it attatcked her inside her fence with the gate closed. The person that said it was a baby and wouldn't hurt anyone unless it licked them to death.

Owners of vicious dogs are going to have to face facts. And those facts are that it's not a matter of IF a dog like this will strike, it's WHEN will a dog like this strike.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

It makes me absolutely SICK to hear folks say "oh, that's a pit bull, it could kill someone....blah blah blah.." I'd just like to slap them. Put a poodle on a chain for a year and see if it doesn't eat someone's leg. Beat a Shiet-zoo (spelling?) and tell me it wouldn't be mean. I'll be the first to say a dog is it's owner. My wife's family raised Pits all her life and they are the best dang dogs. We even bought her mom a Pit for Christmas two years ago and Rastis Jack wouldn't hurt a flea. It is all in the raisin'. GB59's pit pup is georgeous. I love Pits. Especially all white ones.

It is a shame today's society "profiles" dogs like they do. Each one is different and to "black list" only certain breeds is crazy. Punish those who fight them, punish those who beat them and chain them up for weeks without food. They are the criminals, not the dogs. My God, this turned into a RANT!

Sorry. This subject really chaps my behind......

Did I mention that Pits are great dogs!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:04 PM

YES Shadow my bud

Old 10-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Yep I have mean viscious maneaters. The ignorance of some people amazes me.[/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
Does your dog fall into this category?

Pit Bulls, Alaskan Malamutes
Rottweilers, Akitas
Chow Chows, American Staffordshire Terriers
Doberman Pinschers, Boxers
German Shepherds, Great Danes
Siberian Huskies, Wolf-hybrids
Perro de Presa Canarios.
The Presa Canario breed came to the forefront when Diane Whipple was attacked and killed outside the door of her California apartment.
Any dog that has any of the above breeds in their lineage

This is from thishttp://www.dogbitelegalcenter.com/re...mmon-dogs.html site trying to get people to sue you if your "blacklisted" dog bites somebody.

Just thought you'd like to know why you may not be able to get homeowner's insurance as I will be looking for a house soon and will have to hope they like rotties. Fred may have to become a poodle for a while .
We had sold our home and tried to get insurance on our new home. It took me 15 phone calls with different ins companies do to them turning us down because we own a rottie.

I don't understand how you can band a entire breed because of some idiots out there raising there dogs to be mean.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:46 PM

[/IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-24-2006, 05:50 PM

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:07 PM

There are good points on both sides of the argument. But no one can argue stats, that being said with all of the choices of dogs out there why would you chance it with your family? Is there anything more important?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Just a plain ole guy

The ONLY thing I will agree on is we will not ever settle this here.

All I can say is for those of you to choose to own known visicous breeds of dogs, check your liability inusrance closely, you may not be covered when the time comes, and cherish the pics of your family you have with them, because history and facts say that someone in those posted pics will eventually have stitches and scars from the dogs they are hugging. I'm sure my neighbor would like to show you her stitches and scars from her pit bull. I'm sure she'd let you pay her emergency room bills too. Her husband can show you where he buried the dog.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

I say to each his own, it is a free country, if you want 100 pits in your house fine, but if one of them bites your kid your butt needs to go to jail, because you know what can happen, there is a pit my neighbor has and it frequents my yard, i never have my pistol around when i need it, if i ever do, i am gonna have a mad neighbor on my hands.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:23 PM

We have a Pit/boxer and a Jack Russel/Pug, the neighbors across the street have a 70% wolf mixed with a Akita IIRC. They dogs go back and forth between the yards and that is about as far as they go. My pit/Boxer will sit there and watch as the wolf and Pug play,growl and wrestle eachother,she does nothing about it and does not care what they are doing.

If I am in the house sitting on the couch she will jump up and my lap and lay down and hit my hand till I rub her ear. If I take her in the truck she will sit right next to me with her paw on my leg, which by the way makes it very hard to shift. She will run after someone coming down the road(yes she does not get tied unless she is in trouble,no one ties their dog on my back woods road) and get right under their hand so they can pet her.

I would be more afriad of the Jack/pug chewing your ankle off the the pit/Boxer attecking you. We also had the Pits mother who was the same way,she also loved anything to do with machinery. She would jump in the backhoe and sit there why my dad drove and work with it.

I think the why some dogs attack is becuase:

1. The owner treat them like **** and don't give them anya attention and tie them out 24/7
2. to close of a breeding bloodline,over-breeding and inner breeding.

Sorry for the long post
Jeff
Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 PM

Another pit vs human debate!

You as the dog owner can not be there 100% of the time to justify your dogs actions. You can not be there everytime a dog experiences something new and doesn't know how to respond to it.

Some may make it through their lifes without a problem. And for those ones, im glad you and your family enjoy them.

But be realistic. You acquired the dog for protection, you know what its capable of, now dont be a narrow minded idiot and think "It'll never happen with my dog".
Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 AM

Imho Akitas Are The Best Dogs!

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
Does your dog fall into this category?

Pit Bulls, Alaskan Malamutes
Rottweilers, Akitas
Chow Chows, American Staffordshire Terriers
Doberman Pinschers, Boxers
German Shepherds, Great Danes
Siberian Huskies, Wolf-hybrids
Perro de Presa Canarios.
The Presa Canario breed came to the forefront when Diane Whipple was attacked and killed outside the door of her California apartment.
Any dog that has any of the above breeds in their lineage

This is from thishttp://www.dogbitelegalcenter.com/re...mmon-dogs.html site trying to get people to sue you if your "blacklisted" dog bites somebody.

Just thought you'd like to know why you may not be able to get homeowner's insurance as I will be looking for a house soon and will have to hope they like rotties. Fred may have to become a poodle for a while .
I have had dogs from Dalmations, to Irish Setters, Golden Retrievers to Yellow Labs and more mutts in between than I could count. The last dog I had was a purebred Akita-Inu (actual name) and they are a Japanese origin dog that came over to the states first as a gift from the Emperor of Japan to Helen Keller and then from Service men in WWII.

They were bred as hunting dogs. The dogs used to hunt Bear in a male/female pair, the female would distract the bear while the male flanked it. Once the male attacked the female would engauge. Then the hunters would assist after the bear was worn down. Additionally, the women used to let the Akita's 'babysit' the human children while they were working in the rice fields.

These dogs hardly bark, are one of the SMARTEST animals I have had the opportunity to work with and are extremely family oriented and devoted. They must be Beta dogs in the family role and if you know animals that is a simple act to maintain. I had my girl Nala for 13 years and had her put down 8/5/05 - out of all my lifes low points, that was the most difficult. It pains me now to think back to making that decision, yet I wanted to share this and let others know that they are (from first hand experience) the best dog I have known.

The following are not my dogs, just good examples of the breed and what they look like!

Here are two types, the top one being the Japanese build and the bottom is the 'larger' American Build of a Pure Bred Akita:

No matter the breed - if the human raises it aggresive it will always be an aggressive dog. It all comes down to how any animal is trained.

Just my $.02

If anyone wants to know more about Akitas, feel free to PM me!
John

Quick Reply: Is your dog "blacklisted"?