Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is your dog "blacklisted"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by triplenickel
Maybe certain breeds just attract certain types of owners?
I think that is more of the problem. I have known a lot of really sweet, mellow Pits and Rotts. But look who owns most of them, and why they own them. That can skew the statistics.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both of my dogs are blacklisted and I like it that way!

No one wants anything to do with my dogs in my neighborhood!! I like it that way also!!

80 lb Shepard mix, 95lb Doberman.

I don't care about insurance as insurance companies can easily be replaced!

I care about the fact that when Momma is home alone with baby NO ONE is welcome!

And don't even think about playing with my 10 month old when Momma or I am not around (My boy is my dogs' pet).

Now if I could keep my 10 month old out of the dog food I'd be doing good!!

Rick
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 PM

Heck we get more dog bites at work from the little yappy dogs than some of those blacklisted dogs.. you just don't hear about it as much because they have a hard time biting above the knee... Mostly heel and calf bites...

I think that the "blacklisted " dogs can get higher up, knock you down and tend to do more damage when they bite..

It's like going head on with a CTD while driving a Yugo... should we blacklist CTD's???
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 PM

Maybe certain breeds just attract certain types of owners?
That's a good portion of it. Before American Pit Bull Terriers and Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers were the tough guy breed. Before that it was German Shepherd Dogs.

We used to foster for an all breed rescue. Because of the fact that we already had a Pit Bull of our own, were knowledgeable of the breed and didn't shy away from them like most of the foster homes, that was pretty much what they gave us to foster. The profile of most dogs who end up in rescue come from backyard breeders and have been neglected, abused or both and come with some emotional baggage. The Pit Bulls proved to be more stable and predictable than most of the other dogs. The only dog that we fostered that I didn't trust around our daughter was some type of hound mix.
I do know that I have had several pits start to come at me while I am mowing lawns.
Could be coming after the lawnmower. We have to keep our Pit Bull inside when we mow because she will attack the mower. She'll run up, grab a wheel and start dragging the thing sideways through the grass. When we use the Shop Vac we have to keep her away from that too. The nozzles are all covered in tooth marks. These are the only two things I've ever seen her get aggresive with.
Here she is tucking in our daughter. This is a nightly occurance.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:10 PM

Ive got a Blue-Heeler/Corgy (the Queens dog, ive been told) this is the best dog Ive ever seen, he is small enough to sit on the floor in my truck, but at the same time he can go out side with out getting lost in the lawn
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"i dare anyone to ever tell me my pit bull is mean and take her away. she wouldnt hurt a fly, but does have a bark mean enough to protect my family and home"

This was just about my neighbors exact words maybe a month ago, and his pit attatcked his wife inthe yard and the only way to stop it was to shoot it.

This was just about my BIL's exact words at one time. Concearning both of his pits. That was untill they decided to start killing cows. Cows. yes full grown, 1000 pounds of beef. One of them would grab them at the throat and latch on, and twist. The other would bite and dig chunks out of the cows body. They would not stop untill the cow was dead, then they would simply come back home and act like nothing happened.

He was just a step ahead of staying out of the custody of the Texas Rangers. They knew it was his dogs, he knew it was his dogs, but they couldn't catch the dogs in the act, which is what it would take for them to haul him in. This story was even on our local news for about a month. They would kill about 3 a week.

His dogs also pinned a neighbor inside his house. It would have been over with for them if he would have been able to get the door open and get a shot off. After he finally got out, he was about one step away from shooting my BIL. He even took his shotgun with him to give him his only warning about his dogs. This man had two small girls and those dogs would have killed them if they ever got to them.

Thankfully, one of his dogs got shot by a neighbor, and the animal control took the other one and destroyed it after he got busted for drugs about the 5th time.

Oh, and to top all this off, he decided he was going to whip about 5 cops AFTER he was in cuff.

This last remaing dog was brought to our house once (this was before all this happened) and seemed nice as everyone claims. When he saw our dogs thru the fence, he showed what was really inside of him. if it wouldn't have been for the new fence wire, it would have killed all of our dogs and I would have not hesitated to kill this dog. The dog was not allowed on our place again.

I'm very thankful it is gone.

Warning to all pit bull owners. You may think your pit is a good loving family dog, but they are not. It is a dog that is bred to fight and be agressive, and it's only a matter of time untill the instinct comes out and you very well may find yourself in a deadly situation or facing serious legal action. Our city council has talked several times of banning this breed inside the city limits.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:17 AM

I have a 1 1/2 year old Great Dane, and I have to disagree that Danes are vicious dogs. I have been around quite a lot of them, and I have never heard any stories about them biting or even showing aggression to anyone. They're known as the gentle giants for a reason. Mine plays with all the neighborhood kids on a daily basis and always draws attention wherever I take him, but I've never had the slightest issue. Some people are scared of him because of his size and because he will run up to you to get petted and lean on you, but a killer attack dog he is not!!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, since we have 2 Shelties, I guess we're OK.

Rusty
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 AM

Warning to all pit bull owners. You may think your pit is a good loving family dog, but they are not. It is a dog that is bred to fight and be agressive, and it's only a matter of time untill the instinct comes out and you very well may find yourself in a deadly situation or facing serious legal action. Our city council has talked several times of banning this breed inside the city limits.
Up until the late 70's, over the last 150 to 200 years, the majority of them that were bred, were bred to fight...other dogs. NOT humans. This is why he went nuts when he saw your dogs through the fence. The pit dogs are bred specifically to have no human aggression. In domestic dogs, there is a difference between animal aggression and human aggression. During a pit contest (a very brutal, immoral and illegal event) there are two handlers and a referee in the ring with the dogs. At various stages during the match, the handlers have to separate the dogs and take them back to their corners. For this reason, a dog that had any inclination to bite its handler even during a state of maximum agitation (during a dog fight) would be taken out back and culled. Over the past couple of decades they've become the tough guy dog and are being over bred by unscrupulous breeders. Despite this, the majority will never attack a human and will never be a threat to anybody. Unfortunately, when one does attack, it is serious and makes national news. If a lab mauls somebody, it might get local coverage, if at all. Or it will be reported as a Pit Bull attack by the sensationalistic news media.

Regarding Breed Specific Legislation...It doesn't work. All it does is impose greater restrictions on law abiding citizens who have well behaved dogs.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"The pit dogs are bred specifically to have no human aggression."

If this is so, how do you expalin the multiple calls to 911 operators where pits are attacking people in thier homes?

How do you explain this to someone who has been mauled? Just a few months ago in the Houston area, there was a lady who went to get her newspaper, like she does every morning. Two pits attatcked and killed her, as her husband watched helpless at the front door. The police or anyone else couldn't get there fast enough and the elderly man had to watch his wife get chewed and pulled into several peices. The owner of that dog said the same thing.

Here's two questions for you.

As an owner of a pit bull, what would you say to a parent who's child was just chewed to peices by your dog?

As a parent, what would you say to the owner of a pit bull that just chewed your helpless child into peices?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM

I have an 85 pound Rottie and she is the biggest teddy bear around. I've even had a friends baby crawl by her when she was chewing on a bone and did nothing. If people would just get over the size of her and again she is small by rottie standards, they would see that their reputation isn't as bad as it is made out to be
Old 10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by charliez

This was just about my BIL's exact words at one time. Concearning both of his pits. That was untill they decided to start killing cows. Cows. yes full grown, 1000 pounds of beef. One of them would grab them at the throat and latch on, and twist. The other would bite and dig chunks out of the cows body. They would not stop untill the cow was dead, then they would simply come back home and act like nothing happened.

Sorry, but I have to tell you guys....you are mostly ignorant!!! That said, you are ignorant about what these dogs were used for. They aren't a "gun dog" or a "drug dog" They were used FOR THE EXACT PURPOSE LISTED ABOVE!!!
This is what gets them in trouble.

A pit bull used to be used to make the bulls (nasty, horned, angy) do what the owner wanted. THe pits would grab onto the bulls' neck and not let go till that bull moved to where it was needed. They have instinct to do this, just as my lab has instinct to bring back whatever it is I shot! Just like my aussi has the instinct to bite heals on those who run, and keeps the pack together!
I can't see why people think pits make good pets. They aren't good pets. MY BIL and his wife have a 9 month old and two pits. They haven't bit her yet, but I have no doubt they will...

SORRY: I'm a history major....
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM

If this is so, how do you explain the multiple calls to 911 operators where pits are attacking people in their homes?

How do you explain this to someone who has been mauled? Just a few months ago in the Houston area, there was a lady who went to get her newspaper, like she does every morning. Two pits attacked and killed her, as her husband watched helpless at the front door. The police or anyone else couldn't get there fast enough and the elderly man had to watch his wife get chewed and pulled into several pieces. The owner of that dog said the same thing.

As an owner of a pit bull, what would you say to a parent who's child was just chewed to pieces by your dog?

As a parent, what would you say to the owner of a pit bull that just chewed your helpless child into pieces?
The wrong people need to quit getting dogs and not training them. With my experience poodles are the meanest dogs I've ever been around. My rott is way less aggressive than a poodle or ANY terrier (including pitts), but if a dog is small people don't take it's bites seriously. This thread wasn't meant to start an argument. It was meant to inform those of us that love those breeds in that list.

If a dog is aggressive toward you when it is fenced in and you are on the outside it is doing what it is supposed to do. My rott hates it when people get near my fence, but if I go talk to them or let them in, he sees that I feel no threat and he wants them to pet him.

As far as pitts attacking people, nobody has said why they are roaming free. This is the age old argument like gun laws. Guns don't kill people. Just because you own one doesn't mean you're going to shoot somebody. Just because you have a pitt doesn't mean he's gonna attack somebody. That's like saying all people of a particular race are going to commit crimes because "it's in their genes."

Just because you believe something doesn't make you right. Somebody is ALWAYS gonna disagree.

If you can't train and handle a dog the way you are supposed to you DON'T NEED A DOG. But there is no regulations for screening people before they get dogs. It's like people that are too stupid to have children do it anyway. Then we just have more morons running around making more morons. And those morons are buying pitts and rotts and others because they are cool and not because they want a good dog that will protect them if the situation arises. I got a rott because I wanted a big mellow baby that would double as a security system. I got that and much more. Best dog I'll ever own, too bad thy have a stigma for being mean or more people would like him instead of being irrationally afraid.

Don't get this one closed. I'm sorry if you don't like certain breeds, but don't argue so others can read this information.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sailpipes
That's a good portion of it. Before American Pit Bull Terriers and Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers were the tough guy breed. Before that it was German Shepherd Dogs.

We used to foster for an all breed rescue. Because of the fact that we already had a Pit Bull of our own, were knowledgeable of the breed and didn't shy away from them like most of the foster homes, that was pretty much what they gave us to foster. The profile of most dogs who end up in rescue come from backyard breeders and have been neglected, abused or both and come with some emotional baggage. The Pit Bulls proved to be more stable and predictable than most of the other dogs. The only dog that we fostered that I didn't trust around our daughter was some type of hound mix.

Could be coming after the lawnmower. We have to keep our Pit Bull inside when we mow because she will attack the mower. She'll run up, grab a wheel and start dragging the thing sideways through the grass. When we use the Shop Vac we have to keep her away from that too. The nozzles are all covered in tooth marks. These are the only two things I've ever seen her get aggresive with.
Here she is tucking in our daughter. This is a nightly occurance.

Boy that dog sure looks like it wants to eat her Why can't people admit that not all pitts are bad?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is so, how do you expalin the multiple calls to 911 operators where pits are attacking people in thier homes?

How do you explain this to someone who has been mauled? Just a few months ago in the Houston area, there was a lady who went to get her newspaper, like she does every morning. Two pits attatcked and killed her, as her husband watched helpless at the front door. The police or anyone else couldn't get there fast enough and the elderly man had to watch his wife get chewed and pulled into several peices. The owner of that dog said the same thing.

As an owner of a pit bull, what would you say to a parent who's child was just chewed to peices by your dog?

As a parent, what would you say to the owner of a pit bull that just chewed your helpless child into peices?
All I have to say is it is the owners responsibility to control their dog. What the heck were these dogs out loose for anyway. No way should an owner be allowed to let their dog run loose in a neighborhood or in anyone elses yard but their own. Out in the country is a different story as long as the neighbor isn't to close. If you have an aggressive bread you must take precautions to prevent a possiblity of an attack. When an aggressive bread dog feels threatened all bets are off. Just be aware it can happen and take steps to prevent it. I would of been killed too. No way I would watch as my wife was attacked.

Quick Reply: Is your dog "blacklisted"?