Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Working graveyard shift found to have 'probable' link to cancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Working graveyard shift found to have 'probable' link to cancer

Cpoied from the International Agency for Research on Cancer website:

Like UV rays and diesel exhaust fumes, working the graveyard shift will soon be listed as a "probable" cause of cancer. It is a surprising step validating a concept once considered wacky. And it is based on research that finds higher rates of breast and prostate cancer among women and men whose work day starts after dark

Next month, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization, will add overnight shift work as a probable carcinogen. The American Cancer Society says it will likely follow. Up to now, the U.S. organization has considered the work-cancer link to be "uncertain, controversial or unproven."

The higher cancer rates don't prove working overnight can cause cancer. There may be other factors common among graveyard shift workers that raise their risk for cancer.

However, scientists suspect that overnight work is dangerous because it disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock. The hormone melatonin, which can suppress tumor development, is normally produced at night.

If the graveyard shift theory eventually proves correct, millions of people worldwide could be affected. Experts estimate that nearly 20 percent of the working population in developed countries work night shifts.

more info here:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc

So night workers!! avoid caffine, and what ever you do , DO NOT STAY AWAKE!!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh-oh, I'm in trouble, I wonder if that will constitute a lod illness?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhm, I guess that means no more working late nights between the gennys on the rig???

Doh, that was always a good place to sleep too....
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 AM

Yeah, every extra day you live increases your chance of getting cancer. haha

we own the night.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 AM

I guess I better save the extra $3/hr I get for night shift premium for future medical treatment. But more turbos helps me know, so its a bit of a toss up.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 AM

I figured the only ones that would read this would be the fellow night-hawks .....its kinda funny....

How many years y'all been working nights?

total of about 9 here.......
Old 12-02-2007, 02:47 AM

Only been doing it a year. I had one job this year that wasn't night shift, hated it. Everything is closed when you get off work, and I tend to stay up. When I'm on nights, come home, have a shower, and go to bed. Get 10 hrs of sleep a day. Works out great.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
I figured the only ones that would read this would be the fellow night-hawks .....its kinda funny....

total of about 9 here.......
night-hawks??? Its mid day, the sun is shining, your just on the wrong side of the world...
Old 12-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Chapter President

If you do any thing long enough at the right amounts you'll get cancer. I ember a study about a certain mix of muffin, that when the ingredients were fed to rats the rats developed cancer. But the amount of the magic ingredient was so small in the muffin and so hugely dosed to the rats that a person would have to eat a 50 pound muffin everyday for 20 years to get the same dose. I think you could perform a study that finds that being alive causes cancer. Last time I checked none of us get out of life alive any ways. Like Homer J. Simpson said once "keep on truckin!!, as if I would ever stop truckin!!"

Thats my .02
Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 AM

Carpenter, i remember the big to-do about sacharin, they fed teh rats the equaivilent to a human eating like 50 lbs a day of the stuff....

But if nothign else, this is a good arguement for an increase in shift differential!!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That all depends,,,,, I'm working the graveyard shift for seven days, then off three,,,,, daylight shift for six days,,,, off two,,, seven days of the four to twelve shift,,,, off two (actually only a day and a half),,,,, and then right back to seven graveyards and so on and so on and I been doing this for TWENTY-EIGHT YEARS!!! Cancer is the least of my worries!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM
That all depends,,,,, I'm working the graveyard shift for seven days, then off three,,,,, daylight shift for six days,,,, off two,,, seven days of the four to twelve shift,,,, off two (actually only a day and a half),,,,, and then right back to seven graveyards and so on and so on and I been doing this for TWENTY-EIGHT YEARS!!! Cancer is the least of my worries!
part of the study said the risks are greater for those who work rotating shifts........sorry......
Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
part of the study said the risks are greater for those who work rotating shifts........sorry......
If there was a study that included all the rest of the stuff I did in those 28 years,,,,,,,,,,, it would also have stated I should a been dead 20 years ago!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 AM

it would take a good 28 years to keep that schedule straight...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 AM
GFB

Two weeks days, two weeks nights. Repeat. It's not so bad once you get used to it.

Quick Reply: Working graveyard shift found to have 'probable' link to cancer