Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wireless internet/ laptop gurus , i need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My laptop seems to have developed a problem , it started doing it yesterday , my wireless status says i am connected at 54 mbps , signal very good , but when i open my browser , any browser , or a messenger program , no internet connection is available , the wireless is working , because my room mate has no problems, and if i plug it in with a cable , i have 100 mbps , and everything works , that is what i am doing right now

I installed all my updates , including SP2 , i even updated the driver for my wireless card , and still nothing.

If i open my wireless network connections, it finds the one in my apartment , but now it won't connect to it.

Everything worked perfectly up until yesterday, and i didn't change anything, so what happened? what can i do to fix this?

Thanks for any help ahead of time guys.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by kcastun
My laptop seems to have developed a problem , it started doing it yesterday , my wireless status says i am connected at 54 mbps , signal very good , but when i open my browser , any browser , or a messenger program , no internet connection is available , the wireless is working , because my room mate has no problems, and if i plug it in with a cable , i have 100 mbps , and everything works , that is what i am doing right now

I installed all my updates , including SP2 , i even updated the driver for my wireless card , and still nothing.

If i open my wireless network connections, it finds the one in my apartment , but now it won't connect to it.

Everything worked perfectly up until yesterday, and i didn't change anything, so what happened? what can i do to fix this?

Thanks for any help ahead of time guys.
type in the address of the wireless router and see if your computer can connect with that. if it can type in the address of the modom and see if you can connect with that.

A few possibilities:

1 do you have WEP enabled (if you dont you should) you may have to reset the password on your computer If you can connect with the modom your wep is set up on your computer or you dont have it up and running and it doesnt apply.

2 Have you just tried resetting the modum? That sometimes works.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you haven't changed any of the security settings (WEP) on the wireless I would try rebooting the wireless router. Every once in a while I have to reboot my Linksys wireless router for the same reason.

MikeyB
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 PM

Windows XP SP2 changes your firewall settings. It sounds like you're connected, but can't communicate, BTDT. Click on the little red shield in the lower right-hand corner and play around with various settings.

Pat in San Diego
http://www.patcarnathan.com
Old 09-20-2005, 09:23 PM

Assuming restarting the router doesn't work ....

not that I condone this.... but to eliminate one possible issue - and living in an apartment complex (often rich wireless RF environments); are there any other nearby wireless signals that you can connect to? If there are, start looking at the router settings again.

As far as firewalls go, I'm running zone alarm on this machine, and I updated it yesterday. When I woke it up this afternoon when I got home, I couldn't connect to anything either. I had to change the firewall setting from High to medium, then the internet returned.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 PM

My linksys piece-o-crap drops out all the time and the computer will say it is connected but its not. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and all is good.
Linksys sucks a fat one.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:04 AM

Sounds like your wireless card is going bad.

Time to buy a new one.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
Sounds like your wireless card is going bad.

Time to buy a new one.

****, the VP44 of computers...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:01 AM

Ours turned out to be our 2.4ghz phone. We replaced the phone with a 5.8ghz and all works well. My Compaq laptop works flawlessly. Wife's HP high end laptop occasionally won't connect in campgrounds. If she turned her firewall off and reboots, it will connect. Then firewall back on. We have lightened security settings in her firewall with success. Don't know why her's and not mine. We both run Norton Internet Security and both set our SSID to "any available" on trips. Our Linksys router has been trouble free. Much improved over our previous Compaq router. One other thing to consider. Your cable splitter can cause problems with a weak signal. Most use 30% to the modem and 70% to the TV box. I replaced mine with a 50-50 splitter. TV works fine and internet connection has been almost 100%. Before that, the cable guy had to come out once in a while to replace the 30-70% splitter.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Every once in a while I have to reboot my Linksys wireless router for the same reason.

MikeyB
My Linksys craps out all the time: its too hot outside, it rained, there was thunder/lightning nearby, its Saturday, my wife was wearing her tin foil radiation shield helmet too close to the modem etc. etc. etc.....
I always turn off my DSL modem and my router, wait a minute then turn everything back on and I seem to be okay again (until one of the above occurs again). You could also check to see if the firmware in the router needs reloaded (or upgraded). I know on occassion, I have had to re-install the firmware for my Linksys.
No more Linksys for me when it finally goes (this is my second unit from them).

~Rob
Old 09-21-2005, 08:09 AM

Rob, that sounds like symptoms of a bad splitter. Grab one from Home Depot and replace it and I'll bet your problems will go away for about a year.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:31 AM

Amazing... I've never had a problem with this linksys router. I think that I rebooted it once in 2 years ( after a storm). My older linksys had to be rebooted almost weekly though. I'm thinking that it can be your DHCP settings in the router????? The wireless card has a different address than the NIC card. It's letting the MAC address of the NIC card through but not your wireless card. Is it a PCMIA type wireless card?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry I can't help you. I have a Mac with the AirPort Extreme base station (it's 802.11g, I think, just like everything else).

You plug it in, walk through a wizard and off you go! Hi speed wireless is addictive!
jlh
Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Wow things for you to try.
Every once in a while my wireless stops working on my laptop &
I have to run SpyBot to get it working again.
Just another suggestion.

--Rory
Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 PM
JKM

Alright , Before SP2 , it would connect to the router , but if i tried a browser or messneger , there was no connection , the first time i had trouble my wireless speed varied anywhere from 11-54 mbps , and all points inbetween.

After SP2, if i go into wireless connections , it shows the router in my apt (it is for the whole building) but if i select it , and hit connect, it tries to connect , but it never does.

None of the other people in the building have problems , so it is not the router , but for the record i have tried re booting it.

Aside from this problem , since installing SP2 , i have MULTIPLE other problems , various errors , etc that i did not have before, such as actually shutting itself off after i open certain applications that worked flawlessly before , and the whole machine seems to run slower than snot IMO.

This is a brand new computer! (angry)

To me it sounds like the wireless card gave up the ghost , but if i go into my device manager , it says it is fine...

I will try some of the suggestions tomorrow , as i just now got in and it is 1 15 am. I am actually using my desktop right now, but i want my laptop to work again.

Quick Reply: Wireless internet/ laptop gurus , i need some help here