Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wife just broke the pipe in the shower!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife just broke the pipe in the shower!!!

Well today I'm sitting down watching TV and I hear my wife yell for me. I come running into the bathroom thinking she has cut herself or something and she's holding the showerhead and 45 degree pipe in her hand. It broke off halfway with the nipple still half stuck into the pipe behind the drywall. I mean the threads for the nipple are now flush in the pipe in the wall!!!!! So I go to Lowes and buy an "internal nipple wrench" and I finally got home to try it out. I put it in there and use an adjustable wrench to try to turn it out. All it does is slips and won't grab the left in pipe. What do I do now? I live pretty far out in the country so I'm sure I can't just call up a plumber and have him/her come out. I really don't want to tear apart my drywall and tile to gain access to that pipe and have to sweat another back in. I bought the internal wrench set like seen here http://www.plumbingstore.com/extractors.html .. Help please!?!??!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Finally, something I have run into myself. You can try very carefully tapping on the end of the extractor at the same time you are turning it. It may help it bite. Do NOT be too aggressive on the tapping as you do not want to break the vertical pipe mount loose.

Other option, us a hacksaw blade and gently cut the broken nipple into sections. Then, you can pry each section out. Again, watch out for the threads.

When you install the new pipe, make sure you use 5 -6 good wraps with teflon tape.

Ed
Old 01-07-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sherod,

Wow you must have done this before!!! I could not have explained it better!!!

I have had to do it before twice!! LMAO! Great advice!!

Rick
Old 01-07-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I remodel old houses and always find "entertaining" things like this.

Ed
Old 01-07-2006, 10:50 PM

I was gonna say the tapping on the extractor part.
If you cut one slit in the piece with a hack saw, you will probably be able to screw it out then. It usually takes all the tension off of it then freeing it up.
Now I have to ask, How does one break this pipe off? wouldnt you have to be pulling on it to break it? Do I want to know? Someone help an uneducated young fellow out here
Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used one of those extractors that is 4 sided, tapers down on the end you insert into hole. I just beat it in with a hammer and screwed it out with a crescent wrench.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:15 PM

LMAO!! It looks like we have all been there before!!!

Rick
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
If you cut one slit in the piece with a hack saw, you will probably be able to screw it out then. It usually takes all the tension off of it then freeing it up.
Now I have to ask, How does one break this pipe off? wouldnt you have to be pulling on it to break it? Do I want to know? Someone help an uneducated young fellow out here
The thing about it breaking that leaps to mind is someone pulling down on it or hanging on it.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:59 PM

Just a thought here ... but if that part broke off at the nipple, what kind of condition do you think the rest of the shower riser is in ?? Your tapping and wiggling may be putting stress on the rest of the piping and when it leaks, you aren't going to notice until it has already damaged stuff.

I believe if it was me, I would get in the wall and replace it all ... one time, for good. Pay some now ... or pay more later.

Just my .02 worth.

PISTOL
Old 01-08-2006, 01:09 AM

Pistol,

If you break it in the wall you will notice it, "What is that smell", usually the pipe nipple is sweated so there is not much chance of hurting the back joint.
Even if it comes loose then replace the nipple with pipe dope or even teflon tape (if you are brave).

Getting these things out can be a real PITA! I've worked on 2 that I can think of that required the hack saw method from the interior of the pipe and about an hours time each!! The removal tool was highly ineffective and rendered useless after about 15 min.

Rick
Old 01-08-2006, 03:20 AM

Your wife did what? In the where? She sounds nice, oh wrong forum sorry but I couldn't help it Seriously, I hope she didn't hurt herself.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:20 AM

ahh, same thing happened to my wife like 5 years ago, trying to adjust the stream and "pop". now, theres no water comming out so she sits there with the water on for a couple of minutes before they shut it off.

low and behold, all that water is going down between the two walls and into the cellar.

what a mess, i had an access door in the closet to get at it, it was a SOB.

been there, done that!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
Finally, something I have run into myself. You can try very carefully tapping on the end of the extractor at the same time you are turning it. It may help it bite. Do NOT be too aggressive on the tapping as you do not want to break the vertical pipe mount loose.

Other option, us a hacksaw blade and gently cut the broken nipple into sections. Then, you can pry each section out. Again, watch out for the threads.

When you install the new pipe, make sure you use 5 -6 good wraps with teflon tape.

Ed
Run a 1/2" pipe tap in to clean up & straighten out any messed up threads when you get it out. Don't over do it, just use it to clean them up. After you get it fixed watch for leaks in the basement to see if there are any leaks.

These internal pipe wrenches work pretty good also.
http://www.epinions.com/General_Tool...39D_Shop_Tools

Been there, done that.

Tell your wife to stop swinging from the shower head also!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:57 AM

That is what I asked my wife. She stated she was cleaning the shower and ROTATING the showerhead to wash off the cleaner. I was a tad upset to say the least but I've learned my lesson and didn't blow up

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Old 01-08-2006, 09:01 AM

Yeah that is the type of wrench thing I have. 1/2". About my wife hanging from the showerhead. It was handcuffs and then she slipped. Oh wait I said I was married not dating ( hahaha) Yeah I've got an almost 2000 sq ft finished basement. I guess I should go look at the ceiling now . Thanks everyone. I'm going to attempt to fix this AGAIN
Originally Posted by Geico266
Run a 1/2" pipe tap in to clean up & straighten out any messed up threads when you get it out. Don't over do it, just use it to clean them up. After you get it fixed watch for leaks in the basement to see if there are any leaks.

These internal pipe wrenches work pretty good also.
http://www.epinions.com/General_Tool...39D_Shop_Tools

Been there, done that.

Tell your wife to stop swinging from the shower head also!

Quick Reply: Wife just broke the pipe in the shower!!!