Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Why is everything made to be junk??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is everything made to be junk??

Well, maybe not everything, my dilema is weedeaters. We moved in our place over 5 years ago and bought a Huskavarna for around $160 and it lasted 1 year, ran the proper mix fuel, even used Huskavarna mix, drain gas for winter run it out of fuel for winter storage and pick it up in the spring and it has gone to poo poo. It ended up taking flying lessons out into the field after learning how to be asphalt ax. So I get a craftsman from a buddy who says it takes a while to start but works great after that. Well, I milked that thing along for several years and then instead of taking 15 minutes to get running it took 20, then 30. Never lost patience with it, just kept on(cheap me). Then one day the pull cord hung. So take it apart rewind and carefully install and it springs. So remove, rewind and then the darn spring jumps out.....

BOIOOOIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

Passengers please fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the flight aboard craftsman flight #2.......

So we go out and spend $400 plus on an echo, fires off great!! Works great, yada, yada. Put it up for the winter as I do all my small engine stuff, chainsaw, post hole digger, and this spring bring it out for action and it starts giving me fits to start. Now it's back to pull your tail off and maybe it'll start. The warranty is up of course, right on time. This one however did not have a flight plan.......yet, but what a piece of poop. No wonder my yard looks like a hay field, just darn tired of fixing this garbage everytime you want to use it and the garbage is new!!! I have a 41 year old Cub Cadet that will run perfectly, can't use it to mow though cause I live on the side of a mountain. Wish I could find a 41 year old Cub Cadet push mower!!!

Well, that's my rant, just had to vent it off somewhere to avoid the "flight of the Echo" and the severe butt chewing that would come from my wife......."why did you throw it into the field???" "Cause it's a piece of......... and I'm tired fixing everything around this place.......except the Dodge."

I need a different day job, then coming home and fixin my junk won't be so bad. Drivin all over middle tn fixing other peoples junk or OPS has grown tiresome......and quite boring.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM

WOW Shawn, now that I've actually met you in person, and can see you in my mind......THIS IS FUNNY STUFF!!!!!!.......LMAO......
Now I'll try to help.....I bought a "Weed-Eater brand Featherlite SST" . I've had it for three years, never drained it for winter, never done anything but "pull the cord" and add mix to gas and let it goooooo.....I use about one gallon a year of mixed fuel.....it lives in a cold garage with my Cub Cadet, which isn't a '42 vintage, nor does it cut as well as the string-trimmer for that matter...LOL....anyway, the little trimmer was about $120, I think at Lowes. Give one a try!!
Robert
Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only problem is, when you do get a good one, it will have to chew up crashed plains all over the yard!

What other things "learned" to fly out there?

I know what you mean about winter layup. The gas these days is so bad. My Echo trimmer ran well for a month or so then it was carb tear down time. A long time spent and it doesn't run any better. Dang. Choke on all the time to keep it running. String feeder acting out. Sheesh. No flight test yet though

John
Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 PM

I have a Ryobi that can only be started and ran by me. That thing is so tempermental, but if you know it's quirks it starts and runs fine. My wife thinks it's a piece of junk and my mother-in-law wanted to borrow it and gave it right back after 5 minutes. Now that was funny.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Thats funny

I'm gonna have to say...... go ahead and make out that flight plan.

On another note.. I bought my first weed eater 14 years ago
Its a Jonsered and starts on the first pull most the time, no more than 2 pulls , ( 1st choke pull - it fires up and then quits , 2nd pull with choke off and we are off to the races.
The funny part is I never drain the gas out for winter and have only replaced the spark plug once.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm done with two strokes. I still have a chainsaw and a blower that still uses the swill. Several years ago I ditched the Ryobi after it died a horrible death for a four stroke Troy Bilt. A gift from heaven.
BTW, my Honda lawnmower is almost 20yrs old now and starts everytime.

MikeyB
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
JKM

I have something that is much more satisfying than throwing worthless junk around , it's called a Meri-Crusher :

It will "crush" ( more like chew up , it's like a fancy roto-tiller , with carbide teeth) trees, stumps , even concrete , small gas powered things are like a light snack. I have run various aggravating things over with it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM

You Guys Are Hilarious!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In high school I worked for a Snaper dealer that also sold Huskvarna equipment. I got so tired of working there 2 stroke weedeaters that when I bought my own house 8 years ago I went to the local farm suply store and bought the cheapest gas trimmer they had so that I wouldent feel so bad when I got mad at it and destroyed it. It is a Homelite and it cost me around $65. To this day I have done nothing to it and it ALWAYS starts with no delemas. I havent even ever cleaned the air filter or changed a plug. The gas stays in it all winter with no stabil and my wife can even get it started for the first time every spring.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 AM

I had a similar experience. Had an 11 year old WeedEater brand POS from Wally World. It ran great. It got so old the fuel lines dry rotted and it stopped running. I was going to fix it with new fuel line, but thought, hey it is old, time for a new one. It treated me so well I bought another, complete garbage, took it back within 10 minutes of owning it. Bought a Homelite, already had the carb replaced under warranty, the feeder mechanism never seems to work, I hate this thing!

In the mean time I gave my old one to my next door neighbor (I was trying to give him hints to trim his yard) and he fixed it with $3 of new fuel hose from the local hardware store. Now the one I gave away is my backup when mine is in the shop.

I thought maybe it was because I was buying small ones (I have a small yard), but it sounds like the expensive ones are no better.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
DTR question asker

I hate weedeaters!!!!!!!!

I have a little featherlite 2-cycle gas leaf blower that has ALWAYS started on about the 4th pull, there is no stopping that thing...

I think its kind of a luck-of-the-draw with those little 2-cycle motors... sometimes you get one that will run forever, sometimes it will run for 10 minutes...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Shawn, you need one of these

Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 AM

I've got a Shindiawa, a Ryobi 4 stroke and a homelight. I use the Shin for brushcutting and leave a blade on it all the time. The Ryobi has all of the attachments for it and I use it for everything. Love the 4 stroke. The Homelight is used just for weedeating. The Shindiawa is an older model and the fuel pickup hose rotted off of it and needs to be replaced. it's a hoss of a brushcutter.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 AM

I've had 2 toros for my lawn buisness and they both are running great after 6 years... (Allot more than that compared to normal use).... I tried the expensive ones for a while and found they were too expensive to keep running!! So I thought I would try a disposable toro out.... Well the dang things haven't died on me yet... 2 pull start since day 1. 1st full choke next no choke and off to go, never dies plenty of power....
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 AM

try a stihl.... best equitment we've found at work....

work for a landscaping company in the summer. and i've been with them 5 yrs... they have a stihl weedeater that is 7yrs old.... gets used 4+ hrs a day almost every day in the summer hasnt missed a beat. over the last years its gotten a little "rappy" sounding but its still going...

the stihl weedeaters are by far better than husquvarna's or echo's

had pretty good luck with husky blowers... but those dont get as much use

and for saws.... huskies rev higher

stihls have more low end and dont rev as high... take your pick on saws its a personal preference

Quick Reply: Why is everything made to be junk??