Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who shoots an Ultra Mag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wellllll.....Crap. Here I was running around in circles, looks like I just tripped and fell on my face. I had not bought into the short action fad because I just didn't think they could really compare, and looks like they don't. The differences in those numbers you listed are pretty significant. Looks like I bought a .30 cal STW, basically.

So while it isn't the firebreathing beast that the long action is, at least I can expect good consistancy and accuracy from the case design? I'm not looking to win matches, I want to put holes in deer at 400 yards. I think it'll do that OK. I hope so anyway.

Short action!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:08 PM

In my opinion the 30 SAUM is WAY better than the STW-----and here is my reasoning--NO. 1---the stw is a belted cartridge; with the good quality brass we have now days ther is NO need for a belt on a cartridge, it just makes it very difficult to headspace. NO. 2---look at your load data on your stw and compare how much powder it takes to propel a comparable slug as opposed to the 30 saum. NO. 3 there are a lot more choices of slugs in 30 cal than 7mm. This is just my OPINION and you know what they say about opinions--Matt
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Auge
NO. 3 there are a lot more choices of slugs in 30 cal than 7mm. This is just my OPINION and you know what they say about opinions--Matt
That is the reason I went 300 Win Mag over the 7mm Rem Mag. That said I did just get a smoken deal on a Vangaurd 7mm Rem Mag for my wife. Nice gun, can wait to shot it and compare to my F-in-L's 700. Also for the kick (yes I got a half moon once) my B-in-L 300 Weatherby mag isn't worth an extra 8 grains of powder for 60 FPS. I've watched another friend get it every time he has shot it. We sit there and laugh.

Randy
Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Years ago the weatherby calibers were good, now I believe they are WAY over rated------(once again, this is just my OPINION)
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Auge
Years ago the weatherby calibers were good, now I believe they are WAY over rated------(once again, this is just my OPINION)
And over priced. $50 for Weathby brand and $35-40 in Remington. Pay for your dies in less then two boxes. It is crazy. They very well built. The trigger and entire action are far better then my Rem 710.

Randy
Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Being in the firearms business I get a lot of queries about Weatherby calibers, I tell them that I can shoot my .50 BMG cheaper than a weatherby (if you dont re-load) not only that, but you can buy a single shot 50 for the same price as a weatherby--------I'm not bashing weatherby as I own several, my favorite being a 338-378 on a Mrk v action, but at 85$ plus for twenty rounds, most people can't afford to shoot something like that.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 PM

My ideal deer rifle would be a .30-378, weatherby makes a rifle chambered in that cartridge. Also, my STW is a weatherby accumark. I looooove that rifle, it's the worst thing that's happened to the deer on this farm. I'm still excited to try out this new sendero and see how it does. It has some kind of scope on it that I've never heard of, says ATV on the side of it. But for $500 for the whole rig, I figured WTH. Scope is 4-16 power, sort of a fine duplex in it. Good for longer range target shooting I reckon.

Know of any companies that make aftermarket stocks for the sendero? I'm thinking a thumbhole stock would be awesome.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM

there is a bunch of companies that make stocks for a 700 action-----try gunstocks.com
Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 PM

Bell and Carlson make a thumbhole stock for that rifle also I believe
Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 PM

Your ATV scope is made by Simmons and ATV means All Target Variable
Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Chapter President

Does anyone know if wildcat dies and custom chamber reamers are made in a .25cal in either of the short mags? RSUM or the Win short mag? I like the concept, but have never needed one unless a .25 cal came out. Ive even thought of geting a .25/.284 Win barrel custom cut for my Savage Model 16 SA.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Does anyone know if wildcat dies and custom chamber reamers are made in a .25cal in either of the short mags? RSUM or the Win short mag? I like the concept, but have never needed one unless a .25 cal came out. Ive even thought of geting a .25/.284 Win barrel custom cut for my Savage Model 16 SA.
Contact Dave at Manson Reamers, they can build you a reamer for about 165-195$ depending on the pilot you choose. He can also set you up with dies. Hornady also makes custom dies at very reasonable prices. Savage rifles are very easy to re-barrel by the home gunsmith---good luck!-----Matt
Old 10-04-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who shoots an Ultra Mag?

I got a old 444Marlin around here any body want to shoot it about 6 times
in a row.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM

Olratir I'll take you up on that.But can I do it with 1 hand?I'll be nice and pay for the ammo.My range or yours.Mines a 300 yrder.Got a few here you can shoot mostly pistols,308Win in a pistol.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Olratlr
I got a old 444Marlin around here any body want to shoot it about 6 times
in a row.
Not meanin to burst your bubble........but I shoot a BFR (revolver) in .444 Marlin all the time------its a great gun!

Quick Reply: Who shoots an Ultra Mag?