Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who makes the best Residential Generator

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Who makes the best Residential Generator

Ok Yall

Dad is looking to invest in a residential generator. Wants one that runs on propane. Cost is not a big factor. Reliability and longevity are the primary concerns. Its gonna get an auto disconnect. Dad wants one that will fire up everytime with no issues, for years to come. Looking for one in the 30-35 KW range.

Im thinking Cummins/Onan would be a nice unit, Im not a Generac fan. Im also not that savvy on such issues.

Enlighten me!

Thank in advance.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know alot of them, but I have heard some guys talking about how Generac are junk. Are you sure he wants a propane and not a inline natural gas? The natural gas ones are nice because in the event your electricity goes out, you don't have to go outside and mess with swapping out bottles.

They do cost alot more then the wheel around propanes though.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Where we are there is no natural gas lines. (BOONDOCKS!!!! )

We have already contacted the local propane company from where we get our propane and will be procuring a 1000 gallon propane tank to furnish it. We are checking into local regs, but so far, have not found any issues with burying the propane tank. The propane company also has no issues with burying it either.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I have a Generac 15K connected to an automatic transfer switch and feed by a 500 gal in-ground propane tank.
It's wired to provide power to some lights, appliances, and outlets. (Not the HVAC though)
It 'excercises' itself by starting and running for 1/2 hour once a week.

It might be a little noisier than some other brands, but I placed mine behind the garage at the other end of the house.
It has worked flawlessly every time we have lost power so far.

It was included in the cost of "Casa Del Shovelhead" so I'm not sure how much it cost or the installation charges.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
I have no 1st-hand experience with a propane genset. That being said, while researching a genset for myself, it became clear to me that most genset makers derate a given genset when fueled with propane/natural gas (unless of course, it is built specifically to be fueled with propane).

Just be aware.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
I have no 1st-hand experience with a propane genset. That being said, while researching a genset for myself, it became clear to me that most genset makers derate a given genset when fueled with propane/natural gas (unless of course, it is built specifically to be fueled with propane).

Just be aware.
This I did clue in on, Thank You though. We are going to be looking for a LP specific model.

Dad likes Kohler, looking into those too, anyone have anything to say about them, good bad or indifferent.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I have a Generac 15K connected to an automatic transfer switch and feed by a 500 gal in-ground propane tank.
It's wired to provide power to some lights, appliances, and outlets. (Not the HVAC though)
It 'excercises' itself by starting and running for 1/2 hour once a week.

It might be a little noisier than some other brands, but I placed mine behind the garage at the other end of the house.
It has worked flawlessly every time we have lost power so far.

It was included in the cost of "Casa Del Shovelhead" so I'm not sure how much it cost or the installation charges.
Thanks Ed

Dad wants to be able to run EVERYTHING at any given time. No more misery during hurricane season.

Next door neighbor is a licensed electrician and will do all the install. He said a 25 KW should be sufficient to run everything all day long. Knowing Dad, he will buy a 40KW just to make sure.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds like he's on the right track.

I wasn't worried about powering the whole-house HVAC as I can power a room sized heater or AC in a pinch off an outlet.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have looked at the Onan 25K unit - - it is sweet. And Onan has a great reputation for durability. Using this for emergency
service, surely he does not need 40KW. That is the same as a 150a service. Unless his house is very large, a 25K unit will give
the same as about a 100a service. In an emergency, no reason most houses could not exist on 100a for a few days. In fact,
I also looked at a 15K unit thinking of it for our home. Running the numbers, I figured it would be plenty for holding us for an
emergency for a few days. I have hooked up to my 6500w Onan from my fiver in an emergency and had lights, the bedroom AC unit,
refrigerator and freezer with no problem.
Bob
Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
30-35 KW. Is that a surge KW figure or constant KW figure?

My mess is a 25KW max constant with a 50KW surge capability (4-pole, low speed). As such, the 25KW comes out to be right at 110amps @ 240vac. Surge is twice as much. In my application (total electric home w/3-ton 16SEER heatpump), it's more than enough to start the largest motor load while everything else is on. The key there is the surge capacity (negligible light dimming and beating on the frig/freezer compressors).

Try to lean toward a 4-pole generator if at all possible (1500RPM slow speed) in terms of longevity. You'll fine many are in fact 2-pole (3500RPM high speed). It appears to me that the larger, 4-pole gensets offer by default a substantially larger surge figure due to the 4-pole windings.

Further, it takes approximately 45HP to come up with 25KW. Consider the economy of the more realistic light (as in low demand) genset operation ($). It costs to idle that big fella.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:03 PM

It looks like the Kohler he fancies is a 27KW constant with a 38 kw surge. It is a 2 pole.

I like the Cummins/Onan that is rate at 30KW, it doesnt list a surge. It listed as a 2 pole also.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Dad likes Kohler, looking into those too, anyone have anything to say about them, good bad or indifferent.
I got real soured on Kohler when I bought my welder. It's had 3 motors in it and it has only 530 hours on it right now. The current motor seems ok, but like I told the VP of Kohler, "You should stick to making toilets because apparently you don't know the difference between them and engines." It took me going all the way up the corporate ladder to the VP to get anything done under warranty BTW. And by the time I got there, I was NOT a happy camper.

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
... 25 KW should be sufficient to run everything all day long. Knowing Dad, he will buy a 40KW just to make sure.
I like Dad! That's the way I do things too. "What will do a lot, will do a little"!

This is what your dad needs;

Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM

been shopping on govliquidation for a good 30-60kw mobile low rpm diesel unit... not the same as yours i imagine but i like something i can take with me incase the EDIT

Last edited by BC847; 07-05-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM

I agree that a portable diesel genset would be nice, but never will we leave the piece of earth that the generator is on. And yes I say we, cause if it gets that bad, thats were I will end up.

Dad has found a real nice Kohler unit, 35KW (constant), GM I-4 LP engine. Looking at that one. Might be a while before it goes in, might catch a wild hair and order one tomorrow, with him you never know.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 PM

no doubt there are some nice stationary units too, all milsurp and diesels.

ima pick up something like this soon: http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

heres a 60kw stationary version:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

sorry im not knowledgeable about the propane units, but ive worked on plenty of diesel mep002a's

Quick Reply: Who makes the best Residential Generator