Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Where to get info for our gasser vortec 350 loose rocker arm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A broken valve spring will not close the valve completely. Make sure it is a good spring on the valve.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the head will be coming off. A mechanic friend stopped by today and decided we need to see inside. I called on long blocks. $1695. I will let you know when I get it off. Just what I needed..... Another project. lol

Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Well, I am half way there. lol... I am not sure about the manifold and plenam (sp). Do I need to take the plenam off to remove the manifold? And how about the wires that run into it on top? Do they unplug?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No the plenum does not have to be split from the intake. simply unplug the wiring and fold it out of the way. The fuel lines are mated together at the back of the driver side head, just disconnect the upper lines from the lower fuel lines, stubby wrench's will make it easier to do. mark and pull the distributor, accelerator linkages, etc. All the intake bolts are visible, once they are all out just give a small pry and lift the intake off. Should take no more than an hour. If you are going to toss a long block at it spend a little extra and go with an Goodwrench motor. They have an excellent warranty and if for some reason you get a defective remanned engine they will pay the labor to r and r a new one.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
No the plenum does not have to be split from the intake. simply unplug the wiring and fold it out of the way. The fuel lines are mated together at the back of the driver side head, just disconnect the upper lines from the lower fuel lines, stubby wrench's will make it easier to do. mark and pull the distributor, accelerator linkages, etc. All the intake bolts are visible, once they are all out just give a small pry and lift the intake off. Should take no more than an hour. If you are going to toss a long block at it spend a little extra and go with an Goodwrench motor. They have an excellent warranty and if for some reason you get a defective remanned engine they will pay the labor to r and r a new one.
Thank you.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 PM

It is not quite as easy as that. lol...There are several brackets that have to be pulled and the pulley from the power steering pump has to be pulled then the ac compressor/powersteering pump bracket has to come off to remove the manifold as well as the alternator and alt bracket. Lots to do but I am making progress with the little time I have had to put into it. The head should be off tommorow.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured that was common knowledge, sorry. I can R&R an intake gasket on that engine in appx 4 hours, give or take a little time if something breaks.

Keep posting any questions you may have, and good luck.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 AM

I have never had one of these apart so I am taking my time. I dont have all the tools needed for the job either. So I have to stop at autozone to rent the pulley puller. I am making progress though.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 PM

Bent valve

Name:  IMG_bentvalve_resize.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  42.5 KB

So this is what I found. I guess I will remove the other head and have both of them reworked? Any advice and what should I look for in the block. I had good compression average 180. You can see the cross hatches in the cylinder walls.

Name:  IMG_numbersix_resize.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  48.5 KB

You can see the one small mark on top the piston where the valve touched it.

Name:  IMG_head_resize.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM

You're a lucky guy- that's a whole lot less bad than it could've been. Yeah, do the other head while you've got it down this far; an old gearhead told me that one rebuilt head and one beater head on the same engine will stress the rotating components of the engine because one cylinder bank will make mor hp than the other due to new valvesprings, clean runners, etc. Guy never had a engine grenade, so I'll lean toward his argument rather than fight him.

Head gaskets come two in a pack anyway.