Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

When should I trade in my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: When should I trade in my truck?

Originally posted by bdog
I have had my truck about 2 years. I bought it with 50k and now it has 140k. I checked the Kelly Blue book values and the trade in value is about $1500 more than I owe. I still have 3 years of payments left before it is paid off. What scares me is at the rate I am going I will have 275k miles when it is paid off. I am sure the cummins can take it but I am not sure about the rest of the truck. Yes it will be nice to have it paid off but it will be pretty much wore out and probbly not have much value. I like my truck but I am worried it is going to start nickel and dimeing me to death. That brings me to my question. I am thinking about trading my truck for something new or at least newer. Something that is under warranty.

I am new to these higher end trucks. This is the first truck I have ever had that cost more than $5000 and I am not really sure when is the best time to trade it in. Can anyone offer some advice?
bdog, replied !
Old 09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Chapter President

Bdog, a wise old man once told me, you can pay for a truck one of two ways.

BIG payments for a short time or littlepayments for a long time. I know this sounds pretty basic but based on your milage if you really want to drive a newer truck every couple of years the only way the cost will equalize is if you shorten your term and increase the payment.

I'm in mine for a long, long time; only way I could afford a truck this great on my salary...
tom
Old 09-08-2004, 11:16 PM
VPI

Originally posted by Dodgezilla
I don't mind the payments so much as paying for repairs while I'm still making payments. That's when i decide it's time to get a new one..
Man nothing iritates me more to have something go wrong with the new truck and the dealer say well this is normal or it's not a problem. When I have to start fixing it I generally trade but it works to my favor running my own company.