Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

When it rains...it REALLY rains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it rains...it REALLY rains!

I don't usually vent in public like this...this morning, I just felt the need.

No many of you know me, personally anyway. Been on the board since '05...was died in the wool Ford, until they messed up the 6.0 launch. Then I saw the light! The wife even commented, "We are NOT getting rid of this truck".

At any rate, this year is a PITB....
1) Bad - Issues at work, low production, leading up to
2) Bad - Laid off 2 months later
3) GOOD - Was able to take sabbatical, and have a fat severance
4) GOOD - Daughter was born in August, ON her due date!
5) BAD - Had to push out an interview until the next week. I don't think they liked that!
6) GOOD - Did not get the job - They have no idea what they are looking for!
6) GOOD - Now getting interviews
7) BAD - In this housing market (Phx is SLOW) may have to move
8) BAD - Passed a kidney stone last week. 1st time = OWIE
9) GOOD - No lingering issues from the stone
10) GOOD - Passed the phone screen - they want me to come in for a face to face interview!
10) BAD - House AC died last night
11) GOOD - Warranty company authorized Sunday service
12) BAD - Can't get a hold of a warm body at the contractor's office

Looking at it this way - it all seems to be coming out even. But what a long strange trip it's been!

I've been encouraged by the interviews lately. I don't really get depressed - I try harder to figure out where the disconnect is, then fix it.

I'm not crazy about moving...worst case, we'd have to hand the house back to the bank. That's a long ways away...we'd try renting, then selling first.

The upside, we'd be closer to my parents. Mom just finished her mba, so now has time on the weekend to see the kids.

I'd like to get working again, give it a year, then go for a masters. Probably Systems Engineering, or maybe another BS in network admin. I currently hold a BSEET.

Enough rant...back to reality. Where is that AC guy?

Tony
Old 09-20-2009, 10:49 AM

sitting in his a/c soryy couldnt help it
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hang in there. I got a buddy doing contract network setup/admin work in Maryland. He is in a startup company that was started about a year ago. All the employees/owners there have a strong local reputation and they have been going hard ever since.

As companies start getting crunched for cash, they start outsourcing. You might look for a contract company and have better luck.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how you feel. Boy do I. When I look back on the past year its been rough for alot. I wish I had as many goods on my list as yours. But things will get better. We just have to follow our hearts and trust it will take us the right way. If not, we learn for next time.

I always knew this and try to practice it now

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Of course matters of the heart always drag out....I'm just trying to enjoy what I have.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I do laugh every time I see or hear this.....but at least he didn't use a teleprompter!!

I can also feel the pain. I had a great job for several years and long story short, my boss was doing a bad job and got demoted so I got laid off so he could keep a job I did get another job but at 50% less pay and very few benefits.
Sounds like you at least have a great attitude and that will get you much further in the long run!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Rich...that's a little too true!

Fronty...yes, I pushed the warranty co for another contractor. Just waiting on the call. They have another 15min!

Patrick...I saw your thread on Friday. Makes my situation seem like grains of sand! Yes, things will ALWAYS get better. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

rockcrawler...thanks for the laugh! If it were not for my sense of humor and outlook, I probably would have hurt someone! ok, maybe not. Yes, attitude means a LOT. I took the first month and reflected; I was on the job for 15 years, until the layoff. I, and a lot of my coworkers, were completely surprised when I got the notice. I thought I was a lifer with the company. Oh, well. Onto the bigger and better!

Thanks for the kind words, fellas! It is appreciated!

Tony