Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Whats the best GP chainsaw?
Stihl
0.59%
Husquavarna
0.58%
Poulan
0.00%
Craftsman
0.00%
Jonsered
0.00%
Echo
98.81%
OTHER( describe in a post please)
0.00%
Voters: 55587. You may not vote on this poll

Whats the best general purpose chainsaw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:57 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
People just don't care how they treat their equipment or about the way something is put together anymore,
That's why the theft of my Stihl 032 still makes me so mad.
Aside from normal maint, once a year it got pulled apart, cleaned, compression, clutch and other stuff inspected and the paint touched up.
I had 6 good chains, extra bar and other items for it. All gone.
I am still looking for it and have the serial number in my wallet.
Yeah, it probably wasn't the greatest saw ever made but it worked really well for me.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
This is the one I grew up with.....it doesn't care a hoot about ethanol or bar oil, all it needs is ambition
forgot about the ethanol problem...

buy your fuel at a race shop or a marina that sells the real stuff. it costs more there, but its worth it.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Husky Rancher 455 has been working great for 5-6 years for me. Non ethanol gas and fuel stabilizer and it starts each time within 5 pulls. Got it from Home Depot.

If you can stumble across an old Homelite XL12 with 18 inch bar, you can't kill them. They may need a tune up or an adjustment on the carb, but they won't die. I found one at a garage sale for $10 and replaced the fuel line that was rotten, and put on a new pull cord - runs great. The chainsaw shop wants to buy one off me because they are getting hard to find and being from the 1970's, they are all metal.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris, you know better. It doesn't matter if we're talking about saws or any other tool, you get what you pay for. Yea I know, but I'm a cheap b------d and hate spending money. But I am realizing that for what I have spent on $100-$150 dollar saws over the last few years, I could've bought a real nice one ...

It used to be that a man was as proud of his tools as he was the product he produced. He'd NEVER let something happen to a quality tool.
I follow all the recommend service and maintance instructions for them, keep the blade sharp and all that... but for some reason they die anyways.. and yes, they are often cheaper to repalce than they are to repair, something I have not figured out yet..

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
ok, heres my thoughts.

1. what are you doing to kill a chainsaw in a year? I have been working on/off for 4 years getting the cedars adn Osage ornage ( hedge) trees cleaned out of the fencelines and pastures.. I cut a LOT of dryed windfall hedge... you cant drive a nail into the stuff , its like iron... when the blade starts dulling it will actually throw sparks!
This last one, I was cutting up the stumps I pulled last fall, mae about three cuts on a 20" Hackberry stump, it ran out of fuel.. refilled it and bam, it wont start after close to 100 trys....its got spark, got fuel, got air.... even tryed a light shot of ether, no dice....Local shop said $75 just to clean/adjust the carb, plus any parts... the saw cost me $100, so why bother?

2. how often are you using the saw? Probably two weekends a month I drag it out for something or other..
3. what are you currently buying?Ive had three Poulans and two Craftsmans...
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I always carry an ax and a chainsaw or K12 to a roof when we need to open them up. The reason for the ax? Because no matter what, it always starts!
Yea, but with an irrepairable rotor cuff injury, I cant swing one for long, and they tend to bounce off hedge wood no matter how sharp they are..
....... Stihl is a good saw but we can never get them started in the cold.....Part of why Ive never been too interested in a Stihl, Ive heard countless times that they are a bear to get started, altho good saws if you can get them running.. and again, with my shoulders being bad, pulling that cord too much gets painful fairly quick..
I need a easy start saw...yea, Im a wimp....

I really thought there would be more division and strong arguments on this subject........
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
My stihl 360pro has been great over the years that I have had it for me Never had it not start in the cold and I mainly use it at 7200 feet altitude fall and winter time. However I seem to recall them having a cold weather kit for it or at least some of their saws a few years back. However Mine does not have it. Broke the oil fill cap once which was awesome as I didn't notice it until it drained most if not all of the oil down my leg chaps.
If I needed to replace it I would have to look hard at the current similar model before I looked elsewhere though I am sure some cost cutting measures have been employed since I bought it eight or ten years ago along with the other brands as well.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeez Chris, sounds to me like you need a little electric saw, with a self-sharpener and safety chain, like every other half crippled, weekend warrior homeowner has!

There, stir THAT!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They make cordless electric chain saws now!

My husky starts 4-5 pulls after sitting for a few months. Compression release really helps us broke down over worked older folks.

On a side note, if folks don't have access to non ethanol fuel you can buy small engine fuel in quart, gallon, of 5 gallon containers. It's expensive but has high octane and a ridiculously long shelf life. We converted all our 2 strokes over to it.

All the tools start and run better on it.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
They make cordless electric chain saws now!

My husky starts 4-5 pulls after sitting for a few months. Compression release really helps us broke down over worked older folks.

On a side note, if folks don't have access to non ethanol fuel you can buy small engine fuel in quart, gallon, of 5 gallon containers. It's expensive but has high octane and a ridiculously long shelf life. We converted all our 2 strokes over to it.

All the tools start and run better on it.
I found that my Stihl runs better on it
Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I'd start with a decent home owners version of a stihl or husky.
run good non-ethanol fuel and keep the filters clean.

I carry a few chains with me. as they dull, get a drink and change them out.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
My dad had an old Homelite C9 with a 22" bar. That thing was awesome. I think one of the step ***** kids took it.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I found that my Stihl runs better on it
Well, it's a STIHL! It can't run worse!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Even opened the back door of the amigo and found a can in there I didn't know I had.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by NFlCamper
If you can stumble across an old Homelite XL12 with 18 inch bar, you can't kill them.
I had he big red version of that saw before I bought my Stihl, fanfreakingtastic cutting, bad on the vibrations though. One summer I got it hot enough to stick it, she stopped dead in her tracks from full throttle. Figured I was done, but after an hour, pulled it thru and she fired right back up and finished the day out. I started looking for a better saw, and ended up giving it to a buddy who just uses on occasionally, some 10 years later and it is still going strong for him.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Stihl ( pun intended ) runs better than a Husky..........
Old 02-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If I ever see a dusty (little used) Jonsered 601 or 621 (sam ting wid shock handles) I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Had one of each. Each lasted 10 years, and succumbed to accidental death, like a huge oak trunk falling on them. Sorry, if things are going wrong, I vacate, saw's on it's own. Usually the falling tree will pinch the saw at one point, and the weight of the power head will swing it to straight down, under the trunk just before it jumps off the stump. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Had a friend that bragged up his big, noisy McCullough saw till we both went to block out a dozen Basswood stems. I'd go for the base cut, he'd take the middle, and I'd finish, walk around him, and be halfway through the top cut before he broke through. Ended that argument.

Chain speed on that little thing was unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Whats the best general purpose chainsaw?