Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Whats the best GP chainsaw?
Stihl
0.59%
Husquavarna
0.58%
Poulan
0.00%
Craftsman
0.00%
Jonsered
0.00%
Echo
98.81%
OTHER( describe in a post please)
0.00%
Voters: 55587. You may not vote on this poll

Whats the best general purpose chainsaw?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Anyone notice the poll results lately? They've been steadily climbing in Husky's favor!
Kinda like Al Frankens Minnesota Senatorial win.......... If ya can't win at first, keep stuffin the box.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well just closed a deal with a guy in NY, I've got a small tractor engine he wants, had it advertised for $300.
He's agreed to trade me straight across for a "well running" Huskie 346xp with 16 bar.
Guess I'm in the orange camp now

The tractor engine needs a total rebuild, but he knows that......
Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Well just closed a deal with a guy in NY, I've got a small tractor engine he wants, had it advertised for $300.
He's agreed to trade me straight across for a "well running" Huskie 346xp with 16 bar.
Guess I'm in the orange camp now
You'll never turn back.

In my experience, they're tough (plastic), they run well (if you keep them well oiled and tuned) and fairly easy to get parts for and work on if needed.

Most of this learned when my kid ran over mine with the 4X4
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My plans for the saw once it arrives is to pull the muffler and spark plug, check the piston best I can for scoring. If its OK, I am gonna take it to the Husq dealer and have the carb cleaned and adjusted. Gonna ask him to set it to run just a hair rich. if its not, Im just gonna run it till it quits , then rebuild it..
Id like to find a 18 inch bar and chain for it, but am guessing the carb needs a diff adjustment for a diff sized chain??

Took the craftsman back apart, and the cylinder spacers were both broken.. the two plastic pieces that slide into grooves on the sides of the cylinder...I was unaware when I put it back to gether that there is a left and right side for those..so maybe I did that by putting them in the wrong sides.. ordered new ones and gonna try again, wouldnt mind having two saws, and the crapsman is a Husq 51, re-branded for sears per one of the techs at the Husq dealer..
and I have learned that Jred saws are also built by Husq, just different colored plastics and a different angle on the handles..
Amazing what you can learn by asking questions.....
Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
My plans for the saw once it arrives is to pull the muffler and spark plug, check the piston best I can for scoring. If its OK, I am gonna take it to the Husq dealer and have the carb cleaned and adjusted. Gonna ask him to set it to run just a hair rich. if its not, Im just gonna run it till it quits , then rebuild it..
Id like to find a 18 inch bar and chain for it, but am guessing the carb needs a diff adjustment for a diff sized chain??

Took the craftsman back apart, and the cylinder spacers were both broken.. the two plastic pieces that slide into grooves on the sides of the cylinder...I was unaware when I put it back to gether that there is a left and right side for those..so maybe I did that by putting them in the wrong sides.. ordered new ones and gonna try again, wouldnt mind having two saws, and the crapsman is a Husq 51, re-branded for sears per one of the techs at the Husq dealer..
and I have learned that Jred saws are also built by Husq, just different colored plastics and a different angle on the handles..
Amazing what you can learn by asking questions.....
That Husky won't have any trouble pulling an 18" bar. No changes needed in tune.

I had a friend built up a saw from parts laying around. I don't know if it was a Husqred or a Jonsvarna.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been running the same sthil 290 farmboss for what seems like 10 years it starts on the 3rd pull no matter what, we heat with an outdoor boiler and we cut over 20 truck loads a year. Also have a sthil 021 that we limb with, same story. Don't use anything with ethanol keep it clean, full of bar oil, use the right fuel mix, change the plug, clean the air filter, you should be good to go.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM

The Husky 55 is my work horse. Got a bit bullheaded about starting so I threw in a $2 plug. Runs great again. I run it on JASO FC or better oil, screaming on the hairy edge of destruction.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:57 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts
I use the Husky 450 Rancher and so it is great. Do not use it every day, but for the jobs that I have put it thru so far, it is more than adequate.