Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What would you do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do...

So I bought some land down south and was planning on taking the wife and the inlaws down to the property to show them around and put up a fence. We have to be self contained, so no tent camping. Fine, so I look at renting a tt. Only problem is there is only one place in CO that rents them. I fill out a form and reserve a great camper. I get a call back the next day that says that one's not in stock anymore. So I say fine and pick another one. I send in the deposit, sign the contract and figure we're all set to go. (I even put a post on here about if it would be safe for me to tow it with the 2500).

I just got a message that said the second camper I picked out was "no longer available," but he had another one. I looked on the website (txrvrent.com under the denver site) and the trailer I was going to take was the starcraft 31' which looked really nice. The one he says he now has is the roadrunner that looks a lot more used than the starcraft.

Keep in mind I have a signed contract for that camper(the vin# is on the contract), I called back and said that it wasn't alright for him to do this and that I plan on picking up the camper I already paid for next friday. I am pretty sure he just rented it out for a week or longer to someone else when I was only going to use it for 3 days, but I have a signed contract for that specific unit.

So I haven't heard back from him yet, but what would you do?

I considered telling him to pound sand and take my money back, or telling him to give me the other trailer at a much better rate...like free.99. I really want to go down to the property and stay as it's 3 hours away.

(SORRY THIS IS SO LONG, BUT I KNEW YOU WOULD HELP!!) THANKS
Old 08-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I myself would ask for a big discount, maybe 30%.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 PM

30%!! H.E. double hocky sticks, he dropped a signed contract, I would ask for 40-50% off or he can explain it to the attorney..this guy is playin games and thinks you'll just fold and take what he wants to give you..
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 PM

I wasn't thinkin bout the contract part of it. Yup, go for 1/2
Old 08-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Chapter President

Thanks guys.....I was thinking 25, but 50 sounds a lot better....more money for beer I guess.....

The really funny part, my father is an attorney, I work for him and am getting my JD right now! It'd be an easy case for me to practice on!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 AM

i agree with everyone else... remind him about the contract to that specific trailer if you cant have that you want something better for a less price if he says no dice have your old man give him a ring. at least thats what i would be doing.... good luck to ya whatever the outcome is!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 AM
DTR Mom

basics of Law, my friend...

you can't enforce a contract if he can't perform. all he has to say is whoops, sorry it is rented, here's your money back...right when you are planning on picking it up. diplomacy friend, diplomacy....

Heidi
Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
... my father is an attorney, I work for him and am getting my JD right now!
Waaaiit a minute... your Dad is an attorney, you work for him, but you come to DTR for legal advice?

Things that make ya go 'Hmmmmmm'!

chaikwa.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
... all he has to say is whoops, sorry it is rented, here's your money back...right when you are planning on picking it up.
If it IS that simple, why don't more people do that? (Business idea!) Why not start a business renting trailers at a super-low, unheard of price. Only a dollar a day. (Plus a non-refundable, one time $50 administrative fee of course!) Then refund ev'ryone's money, less the administrative fee!

I always thought the point of HAVING a contract was to ensure performance. I didn't realize a contract could be, essentially, voided simply by the fact that one party was/is unable to perform up to the standards spelled out in the contract. Kinda doesn't make sense to go thru all the trouble to draft, sign and HAVE a contract in the first place!

chaikwa.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Like I said he is playing games...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM

I'd insist on a super deal that you can live with or I'd call the local TV stations who like to solve folks' problems. This will stop him from doing it to others quickly!!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sick Tim Martino SP? on him from one of the local TV station..
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Since you bought the property, it sounds like you may be taking multiple trips to it. You are probably just wanting to be elevated above the snakes, bugs, cold, heat and critters so why not just buy an old camper or trailer. All you really need (until the newness wears off) is a box to stay in.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Also I can't believe there's only one place in Colorado to rent a camp trailer...

I rented one many years ago, and the guy had the unit I reserved clean ready and waiting when I arrived at the designated time to pick it up.

There's got to be someone around your area who can get you what you want with some customer service.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

i'm thinking four adults living in a 31' box for three days while fencing five acres isn't a good plan anyway.

Quick Reply: What would you do...