Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What R U Paying 4 Feed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What R U Paying 4 Feed?

Just got back from the feed store and was curious what other people in different parts were paying for feed?

I just payed $10.60 a bale for Bermuda and $13.99 a bag for senior feed. Alfalfa is running $8.50 a bale right now. Our bales come 3 wire and average 100-130 lbs a bale. For this time of year in our parts this is high for feed. Hay usually is down to 7 something for alfalfa and 9 something for bermuda. Are hay prices haven't dropped due to the amount of rain and the lack of hay coming in.

~Heather~
Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good quality horse hay is hard to find around here. It's been so dry, my regular source has been out for a couple of months. He just barely got enough to feed his cows.

I paid $30/bale for two round bales that had so much junk in them that my ponies wouldn't eat it. I'll never buy hay when it's dark outside again! I gave them away to some starving horses up the road. They were so hungry they would have eaten mesquite. Then, I paid $50/bale for two more that wasn't much better. It was real dusty and had some mold in it. Both times it was supposed to have been fertilized coastal bermuda. I've called a couple of hay companies, but they are about 100 miles away. Good fertilized coastal is bringing $4/$5 for 80# square bales. Around here, alfalfa is usually higher than coastal.

I feed my boys MFM Performers Choice sweet feed (12% in the summer). They get 4#/day. It's gone up to $8 for a 50# bag.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:30 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

$20-25 a bale for 1000# round bales of Brome, thats if its GOOD quality...
$2.75-3.50 for 100# squares...
I feed Startegy, paying $8.50 for 50#........
Old 09-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
$20-25 a bale for 1000# round bales of Brome, thats if its GOOD quality...
$2.75-3.50 for 100# squares...
I feed Startegy, paying $8.50 for 50#........
What's Brome?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Next month I will need about 4k lbs of deer corn for the feeders. Probably going to pass out when I hear the price.

MikeyB
Old 09-10-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good alfalfa around here goes for about $3.50 a 75-80 lb bale. I'm getting alfalfa/orchard grass mix round for $15.00 delivered. They're only about 800 lbs.

I feed a 10% mix of my own design, about 4 lbs a day. If I'm really using the critters, they go up to 12%. $6.10 per 50 as of two weeks ago.

Now, somebody tell me how to get enough time to actually do something with them other than feed and clean.

Ed
Old 09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is interesting because next spring we are planning to board some horses here. This place used to be an arabian breeding farm, but now it has 30+ stalls that just sit there and collect 'stuff'. There are 6 stalls that have been maintained however, and those are the ones I'm planning to start with. I've had draft horses since I was a teenager, but I've never dealt with the 'pleasure' breeds, so I have some learning to do before I take in any boarders! This thread about feed is helpful tho, because I haven't got to the point of pricing feed around here. Gives me something to compare when I DO get some local prices. What's interesting is the hay prices posted here compared to the pricing I'm used to in New England. The last winter I bought hay there, I was paying upwards of $15 per 80lb bale!

chaikwa.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
What's Brome?
Brome grass is a common name for any plant of the genus Bromus, chiefly large, coarse grasses of a weedy nature; some, however, are useful as forage, and others are cultivated for decoration.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:56 AM

We pay about $9.00 a bale for forage, Alfalfa is now $12 or so. Any exotic grasses( bermuda,orchard,etc) will go from $12.50 up to $20 a bale in the smaller stores. These are all the 100+ lb bales,3 wire. Prices shot quite a bit from last year due to the lack of rain up north where most of the feed around here comes from (Oregon etc). Nobody grows it here anymore its become full of grape growers for the whiner... I mean wine industry . We just about died when we were up in Oregon where I got my truck, the seller also raised horses and said they pay some $3.00 a bale for alfalfa.
Its by far cheaper if you can swing a few squeezes at a time from a grower.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:50 AM

Hmm

I travel four hours and pull a sixteen footer with the CTD for these prices..

I pay 8.25 a bag for 75 lb bags of ten percent horse feed, 14 percent protein runs for 9.50 a bag for a 75 lb bag.

Local stores have 50 lb bags of 10 percent feed for 6.50 a bag, and everything else goes much higher than it should..

Round Coastal Bales fertilized run for 75 bucks down here, (800-1200 lb depending on the maker)

Hay Grazer is about 50 bucks a bale, comparable round size, and squares, are at 5 bucks as well..

Alfalfa is 8-12 bucks for 80 lb square bales.

Tx
Old 09-10-2005, 11:44 PM

Wow, and I was choking on $4.50 per 65# bale of Timothy grass here. As for the grain the CFO takes care of that and I don't see the bill. Get to pay for it, just don't get to see the bill.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:25 AM

Deer corn

I heard on the radio corn prices are down at the elevators because too muxh corn is going there because it can't be shipped at Gulf ports . BTW , tomorrow I'm delivering 25 tons of corn to Manna Pro in GA . They bag it as deer corn for WalMart .
Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 PM

Sounds like some of you are paying purdy high prices as well. Around here you can haul a good 2 hours or so to go to the farms and get it yourself but with fuel prices its just not worth driving for it. I have tried in the past feeding Strategy, TDI, and Lyons Performance feed, but all of them were to much for my rope horse. He has shoulder problems and the high amounts of minerals and protiens were to much for him. That's another reason why I took them all of of alfalfa and put them on Senior feed and Bermuda. My horses went from looking like trash because the alfalfa was to hot for them to finally putting back on the weight they needed and keeping it. I have them on 2lbs of senior and roughly 5-7lbs of bermuda twice a day and they do great on it. I like the senior feed because if you have a horse that needs weight or a hard keeper <like my mare> it is one of the easiest and quickest ways to put weight back on a horse. From what my local feed store says the price of alfalfa around here will blow past bermuda this winter which is just unimaginable. I am already dreading winter hay prices and were not even close to them. Im thinking its time to get a few tons before prices go up.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not high here

Grain and Hay Are low here....

But not for this guy...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:30 AM

Hay is going to be in short supply around here by winter due to the lack of rain. The guy I buy from is selling large round bales of Bermuda for $30.00 and I've been paying a little over $10.00 a hundred-weight for 12% blueribbon sweet feed for the horses. I had my fescue cut and baled last week and he charged me 12.00 a bale to cut and bale it. He said it would bring at least 25.00 a round if not a little more if he was selling it due to the presumed shortage coming up. I made about half the crop I usually make. And of course the fertilzer I bought in the spring cost about twice as much as usual. Think I may sell 3 horses next spring and stick to keeping 4 around total of my own. And only allow 1 or 2 customers animals in at a time instead of 4 or 5.

Quick Reply: What R U Paying 4 Feed?