Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What is the purpose of getting drunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 09:56 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
What is the purpose of getting drunk?

In some posts over the last few days some guys have said that they intend to get drunk over the weekend. I'm not saying it is wrong or not to, but am curious as to what is gained by this? Downside is a headache, sick, money blown and who knows what else? What are the pros and cons about getting drunk?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:What is the purpose of getting drunk?

My partying days are pretty much done - but I assume that most people drink for escape and relaxation (maybe I need to take it up again ;D)
Old 08-28-2003, 10:02 AM

Not too fun getting plastered senseless... but a couple of brewski's or a nice JD & coke is enjoyable! ;D Especially after wrenching on the truck all day... ;D ;D

Tony
Old 08-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=0#msg177691 date=1062082608]
In some posts over the last few days some guys have said that they intend to get drunk over the weekend. I'm not saying it is wrong or not to, but am curious as to what is gained by this? [/quote]

You might not say it Stan, but I will. It IS wrong. For LOTS of reasons......morally, spiritually or otherwise. Never have understood what people see in it myself. :

Downside is a headache, sick, money blown and who knows what else?
To name a few others.....death, killing innocent people, mangled bodies, mangled cars, destroyed families, destroyed souls.....I could keep going but I think you get the point. :

What are the pros and cons about getting drunk?
Pros?? None that I can see. Cons?? Way to many to list here...

I'll get off my soapbox now. You just hit a touchy subject for me... :-X :
Old 08-28-2003, 10:19 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Hank JR said Corn Bread and Iced tea took the place of Pills and 90 proof..
Old 08-28-2003, 10:56 AM

I'm with Hoss on this one. Besides the obvious moral issues to this subject there is the cost aspect - increased healthcare costs of accident victims, increased healthcare costs of the drinker, increased insurance cost to cover cost of accidents, etc., soforth, adnauseum.

Having two alcoholic grandfathers and seeing the damage they caused themselves and their families kinda puts one in a position to not want to tempt the odds. It doesn't hurt that the wife wouldn't have anything to do with a drinker when she was single so I now have no incentive or desire whatsoever to imbibe.

What others do to themselves is their business - but once they get on the road inebriated it is no longer just about them. There are enough stupid, inattentive drivers on the road that are not chemically impaired to have to worry about dodging drunks, too :

Now if we could just get cellphones banned in minivans..........
Old 08-28-2003, 11:06 AM

Maybe liquid courage for that special girl.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Jamie, it is my experience that many 'special girls' get turned off when the guys use liquid courage. They see it as a weakness.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunately for some folks they either never realize what booze is doing to them or its too late when they do.
I was lucky that even after having a lot of problems with the law, family and my Higher Power, I never took a life. Many times I wondered how I made it and never took anyone out or myself.

I still am amazed at the social drinker...letting the ice melt in the drink and not getting bent like I did. Baffled me.

I drank for effect and escape. Alcoholism runs deep in the family and it got me bad. It was something I thought I could control or simply stop. I did not know that I crossed that line of no return until I was long past it. Cunning baffling and powerful...and patient. Some folks including myself thought it was a sign of weakness not to drink..others said is was a weakness and lack of self control when someone could not stop. I thought the same but was truly baffled when all of my efforts to stop failed...it really twisted me for a long time.

I have not drank for 19 yrs. I remember hearing or reading about folks that did not drink or quit drinking and I thought what a boring life. LOL After being on both sides of the fence, I would not trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk. One is too may and a hundred is never enough for me.

The street smarts I got when partying and fighting has helped me in my sobriety too. I can see a problem coming a mile away and I know how to handle things that might baffle someone that has not been on both sides of that fence. Just my experience is all.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:58 AM

Sobering thoughts Scotty....its always really good to hear about the people that have turned things around and realized what they were doing to themselves. Well done.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:35 PM

[quote author=Scotty link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=0#msg177753 date=1062088420]
I drank for effect and escape. It was something I thought I could control or simply stop. I did not know that I crossed that line of no return until I was long past it. Cunning baffling and powerful...and patient.

After being on both sides of the fence, I would not trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk.[/quote]

Been there, done that. Not proud of it. I was an alcoholic for 17 years. I was surely surprised when I found I couldn't quit. But, thanks to the Lord, Jesus Christ, I've not had a drink in 21 years. I used to have a lot of "fun" but never any joy. Now I have fun because I have joy.

The person who NEVER takes a drink will never be an alcoholic. Anyone who drinks, even socially, is susceptible to becoming one.

Hoss, and others, I'm with you 100%.

Thanks MexStan for starting the thread. Much food for thought just before the holiday weekend.

Stan
Old 08-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Bearfoot2 link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=0#msg177787 date=1062092128]Now I have fun because I have joy[/quote]

Amen to that!!! ;D
Old 08-28-2003, 01:11 PM

Alright guys, that post didn't say anything about drinking and driving, or being an alcoholic. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing, but i think y'all are reading way too many other things out of a post that said someone was going to be inebriated this weekend.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:13 PM

Good replies so far guys. Thanks to all of you that are not ashamed to admit that you had a problem with alcohol. Hopefully others reading this that may have a potential problem will be able to see themselves and back out before they get in too deep. It is my sincere desire that some of the younger generation read these replies and take note.
Bottom line: drinking till you are drunk ain't a smart thing to do. It can trap you before you know it.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 PM

One of Gods greatest gifts to us is free agency. Drinking, drugs, and other addictive chemicals strip us of the ability to act for ourselves and I know thats not what he wants for us.

Quick Reply: What is the purpose of getting drunk?