Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What is the purpose of getting drunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:What is the purpose of getting drunk?

I have seen the effects of Alcoholism. :-

Not a pretty sight.

I'm not a te-totaler, a 12 pack will last a couple of months in my fridge.

Still love an Ice-cold one after mowing the lawn. ;D

Old 08-28-2003, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=erics76 link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=0#msg177805 date=1062094282]
There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. [/quote]

That's what every alcoholic out there thought...

...i think y'all are reading way too many other things out of a post that said someone was going to be inebriated this weekend.
I've seen too many people say they were going to get drunk and not drive - but they did, many to their regret.

Stan's original question was, "What is the purpose of getting drunk?" And, "What are the pros & cons of doing so?"

I haven't seen anyone give a "purpose" for intoxication. Tony implies a "couple" for refreshment. Dr. Evil assumes escape & relaxation, but it doesn't work. You can't escape from a problem - it's still there and you may have found even more, and you don't relax with those headaches. Jamie thinks maybe "liquid courage" but any real man or woman doesn't need liquid courage. It just shows how weak they really are. I've never seen a "special lady" that was impressed by "liquid courage".

What I'm seeing is Pros 0 All the comments seem to be Cons.

Again, I think this discussion is good because it may be making some have second thoughts about getting plastered this holiday weekend. If it saves one life the whole BB is worth it.

Thanks Stan for the thread, and thanks Jack for the opportunity.

Stan
Old 08-28-2003, 02:08 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=0#msg177691 date=1062082608]
In some posts over the last few days some guys have said that they intend to get drunk over the weekend. I'm not saying it is wrong or not to, but am curious as to what is gained by this? Downside is a headache, sick, money blown and who knows what else? What are the pros and cons about getting drunk?
[/quote]
So now are you saying it is wrong or not to do?

I enjoy one now and then, don't let it affect others, and normally not without someone else to enjoy it with.
Had a paragraph typed out, but didn't want to impose myself (this time ).

Best Homer Simpson... "MMMMMMMMM BEEEEEEEEEEER"
Old 08-28-2003, 02:15 PM

Hey....

didn't Jesus turn the water to wine? ;D ;D
Old 08-28-2003, 02:19 PM

It doesn't bother me to post here that somehow I ended up with a .464 alcohol level (NOT a misprint) after 25 years of thinking I could stop any time I wanted to. It is dangerous, doesn't care if you are Mr. Gates or living in a dumpster, and can happen at any age. The bottom line for me is " the meanest drug of all is good old alcohol". Man, I wish I could get a few of those years back. Like Mr. Scotty, I did learn a lot about the dark side. THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK!! Jim.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is my understanding that you are born with all the brain cells you will ever have.
In my case, thats probably not too many to begin with!
I never found any interest in doing something on purpose to kill the few brain cells I had to begin with.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this topic under control. Topics such as this can often get out of hand quickly.

Rich.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:38 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Theerea are mayny porpoiss'ss of dringinng! I gan tell you I amm much stronger than anyone in sis saloon

Well, my personal opinion is that first of all drinking and driving don't mix. I am proud to say that I haven't driven on a public road with any alcohol or drugs in my blood.
On the other hand I do enjoy beer. I really like to drink a beer to some foods and do so about every 2 months. One beer.
The best way to see if you can stop is to stop for some months and see if you miss it. I tried and only had 2 glasses of beer 2002.

In my opinion the fines for driving drunk are much to low. The first time you get away with about 1100-2500 US$. Maximum is 11000US$. (And losing drivers license from minimum 6 moths up to 5 years or lifelong)

I've seen alcohol ruin enough lives. Most of these folks did drink to drown problems. I believe that you can (assuming that you never were an alcoholic) drink alcohol and enjoy it on rare occasions, but do this to celebrate good things in life, not to run away from the bad things.
I salute all folks who have stood up against their habit, and who sure had a hard fight.

AlpineRAM
Old 08-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Like my post said...social drinkers baffled me.
I think its great that the folks that have a grip on it can do it...I did not. I still get to thinking a COLD real beer from Canada would taste good...it did taste real good.
To each his own. I have several friends that have the odd drink. I also have lost several friends that were like me...I either lost them cuz I quit drinking and we had very little in common or I was at their funeral later on.

At any rate, my hats off to the folks that do it socially.
I never knew there was such a thing til I quit drinking.

I had no regard for control or limits. hiccup.

[quote author=erics76 link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=0#msg177805 date=1062094282]
Alright guys, that post didn't say anything about drinking and driving, or being an alcoholic. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing, but i think y'all are reading way too many other things out of a post that said someone was going to be inebriated this weekend.
[/quote]
Old 08-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright guys, that post didn't say anything about drinking and driving, or being an alcoholic. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. [/quote]

I think it's safe to say that every alcoholic started out by drinking in moderation. Besides....I beg to differ on the "nothing wrong with" statement. I could show you plenty of reasons why....but that's not for this board.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:08 PM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=10;threadid=18930;start=15#msg177826 date=1062098141]
Hey....

didn't Jesus turn the water to wine? ;D ;D
[/quote]

There is a good bit of evidence and ongoing debate about whether the wine you're referring to was actually alcoholic. It all goes back to Greek terminology...and I'm no Greek scholar so I won't try to explain....but the consense is, based on the particular Greek word used to describe that wine, that the wine did not contain alcohol. It is clear from studies that there were both alcoholic and non alcoholic wines referenced in the Bible. The belief among people who study such things is that it was non-alcoholic.

That really has nothing to do with this thread though.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:13 PM

Scotty 2004 BLACK 3500 DUALLY 4X4 LARAMIE SPORT HO 6SPD 4-DOOR STILL NO TRUCK I WANT MY TRUCK
Scotty, I just heard they ran out of Black paint.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Not to change the subject, but smoking is my weakness.

I have quit several times, longest for 5 years, gone out drinking with the fellas, smoked one cigarette, and a week later I'm buying a carton again.
I realize cigs to me are like an alcoholic with a drink.

Been 5 years this past May. ;D
Old 08-28-2003, 03:20 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

Would it be correct to say that things like alcohol, cigarettes and similar things can all be classified as a drug? Then when these 'drugs' start to control your life and habits that then you are a drug addict?
Old 08-28-2003, 03:22 PM

Congrats!! Stick with it. ;D

There's a difference between drinking and smoking though. For the most part, smoking only effects the person doing the smoking. There's the second hand smoke issue....but I don't put much weight on that. Drinking...especially getting drunk...effects EVERYONE around you....usually in a BAD way. However....I think it's bad to smoke too....or to take any other kind of drug for that matter.

ON EDIT: I stand corrected. Don't know what I was thinking when I said smoking doesn't effect people around you.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:23 PM

Drink lot's of water and chew lot's of gum. Quit smoking about 6 years or so ago... can't even remember it's been so long. Used to smoke 2-2 1/2 packs a day...

Tony

Quick Reply: What is the purpose of getting drunk?