Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The "WHAT IF" list.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "WHAT IF" list.....

I'm sure this will get some good replies. Lets see what happens and see how nice we can be not that anyone on here needs this cause I know we all think like this or we wouldn't be on here. This is intended more for the less that happy people in life.

What if we applied the brake instead of tramping the gas when the light turns yellow?
What if people were to actually STOP at stop signs and red lights instead of running them?
What if one would take the time to hold a door for someone instead of letting it slam in their face?
What if you bought a total stranger a cup of coffee one day?
What if one were to actually be polite to the server bringing your dinner today?
What if we actually said “please” and “thank you” instead of, well, you get my drift?
What if we actually thought of the other person first?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is all in how we are raised. I was taught right from wrong, courtesy to my elders, and all around good manners. Some are not being taught that nowadays, and it shows when one goes out into public and sees the manners on display.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 AM

That's no fun. I'm a nice guy and do most of those things.

How about what if had $5k to throw into my truck

Dieseldude- can you PM or email me some info on the DTR Va chapter?
I see the form on your sig and just want some info. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Banned

I have done all that just this morning.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:18 AM

You know it is actually sad these days. I have always held the door for people, mostly ladies. I will always try to get the door for someone. I was leaving a resturant last night and a older lady was walking in. I stopped, held the door for her. She was so shocked, you could see it on her face. It lit right up and she said a heartfelt thankyou. It actually made me a bit sad, it is so rare that she sees that that it suprises her a great deal when she does...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nothing would change for me, I do all those things everyday, Thank You Mom and Dad for teaching me the right way
Old 09-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

I sorta figured all of you would say stuff like this.
(I do all of this too or how could I have written it? I know what a backhander is!!!!)
Lets look at it from the other persons point of view.
If you were them, what would you think?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:31 AM

Here's a few more,

What if ...

We actually followed the advice our folks gave us when we were young ?

We let that truck driver over in our lane instead of racing to get in front ?

A handshake from us was just as binding as a 25 page legal document ?

"Buyer Beware" was in the obsolete words dictionary ?

Everyone said what they meant and meant what they said ?

Everyone volunteered to defend their country ?

These are kinda fun ...
PISTOL
Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Good list..............
Old 09-19-2005, 11:27 AM

What if???

I think if people actually did those things this world would be so much easier. I've noticed though that depending on where you live or are raised makes a big difference. I grew up in a little farming community and everyone was really nice. Now that I live a little closer to LA, there is a big difference in people. When I'm nice enough to let someone over I don't even get a thank you wave. Just show you how people can be depending on how they are raised.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) What if we applied the brake instead of tramping the gas when the light turns yellow?

We would be rear ended by the guy behind us who is tramping the gas.

2) What if people were to actually STOP at stop signs and red lights instead of running them?

See above.

3) What if one would take the time to hold a door for someone instead of letting it slam in their face?

Where's the fun in that? Nothing is more fun than ACTING like you're going to hold the door for someone only to SLAM it in their face right as they start to speed up to get through the door quickly so that you don't have to wait on them.

4) What if you bought a total stranger a cup of coffee one day?

Do I get to spit in it first??

5) What if one were to actually be polite to the server bringing your dinner today?

Are you kidding? I suppose you think they deserve a tip too??

6) What if we actually said “please” and “thank you” instead of, well, you get my drift?

How about this...."Bring me my drink, NOW!!" It's much more effective than "Bring me my drink, please." Not only that, but it gets the point across better.

7) What if we actually thought of the other person first?

What...do they owe me money or something??

Now...I don't REALLY feel this way but you guys were getting SO close to a group hug that I HAD to do something.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:40 AM

I agree with the "Thanks mom and dad for bringing me upright" thought.
To this day, while learning how to drive 20 years ago, I remember my dad saying "If I ever catch you speeding up to catch a yellow light, I will tan your hide". I don't think he could tan my hide anymore, but I still heed his "advice".
I do most everything on the list except by strangers a cup of coffee, not too many strangers get in through the security where I work.
Now if a stranger would buy me a gallon of diesel, I would be all

~Rob
Old 09-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

ANARCHY!!!

It would be Anarchy!!!!

Hahaha....................

Anyways, being brought up in a smaller town in West Texas, it was a culture shock when I moved here to the "Big City" back in '89.

Culture is different, Mannerisms are different, Attitudes are rampant. "Common Courteousy" is non-existent.

I have many examples of just plain rudeness when "common courteousy" was offered.

1 - I once held a door open for this guy at 7-11 as I was walking out. He got rude and told me he could open his own GD door as he was walking by. I let go of the door, it almost knocked him over, and we about went to town. I didn't back down and was ready to "Go To Town" if needed. (Military Veteran - MP - Taught self defense courses part-time) He walked away mumbling under his breath. It was the best thing for him.

2. Held another door open at a restaurant for this couple. Lady walked by giggling saying "Someone must be in a good mood today" with no "Thank You" offered from either one. Said back to her, "No Mam, just from West Texas where we show kindness and courteousy". Her boyfriend/husband/whatever turned around and gave me this look. I stood there and gave her 6ft - 180lb guy that "You better keep walking look", and he did.

Many times I'll hold the door open for people with no "Thank You" offered. I always reply with a loud "You're Welcome".

I also hate it when you're walking thru a parking lot (the mall, wal-mart, grocery store, etc) and you say "Good Morning", or "Hello", or "Hi" etc, to the people walking by you and they look at you like "Who the hell are you???" Sometimes I'll pop back as they are walking by with something like "Life aint that bad", or "Don't blame me for your problems".

Anyways, it is a different out there than it was 20-30 years ago. Too much hate, too much rush, too many attitudes. When I get a chance to get back to a smaller town, I'm gone.

Other Rants.................................. ...........................
Old 09-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Nothing would change for me, I do all those things everyday, Thank You Mom and Dad for teaching me the right way

Exactly what Lary said. I don't buy too many folks coffee though. Last year on my trip out west I did by a truck driver dinner at the Flying J in Rawlins, WY or maybe it was Rock Springs, WY. Same as every year, we were experiencing 80mph winds in the mountains and he was helping me cut some wind. Really nice fella as most out on the road are.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
1) What if we applied the brake instead of tramping the gas when the light turns yellow?

We would be rear ended by the guy behind us who is tramping the gas.
Not far from the truth. I made the mistake of stopping for a yellow that was about to turn red on my morning commute a month or so ago. The guy behind me in the Xterra assumed I was going to run it and wound up sliding to a stop about 3" from my bumper and spent the rest of the time at the light telling me how I was #1 in his book.

Rusty

Quick Reply: The "WHAT IF" list.....