Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what do you do to make America Great?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what do you do to make America Great?

i gave the USN 20yrs of my life, but sometimes now, when i wake up, or go to bed, i wonder if what i do/did <i>today</i> made a difference.

always testify and witness to folks, but sometimes seem like i should do more.

this seems like a great country, but we took a country ride from Chasn SC towards Atlanta GA last week, for daughters wedding.

man, it was some broke down, closed up, lost dream towns along the way.
folks businesses, homes, dreams and way of life had gone down the drain.

just wondering if America will be the great place for our grandkids, that it was for us.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I see some of the same towns/areas too, but one must also remember, (as you were traveling through some of those broken towns), that we still have the ability to dream and the option to pursue those dreams.
It took someone with an idea and the ability to act upon that idea that built those towns.
That is what America had to begin with, and still has to this day.
What were doing with that ability and option is what has changed.... for better or worse is of great debate.

Rich.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you do to make America Great? I think we all need to ask ourselves this question from time to time. We {The USA} are alright,just a little slump but all countrys go up and down. We all just need to hold up are heads and get back to teaching our childeren about our Freedom and not to take it lightly and how we attained it, and most importantly teach them about Gods love for us. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 01-21-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
i gave the USN 20yrs of my life, but sometimes now, when i wake up, or go to bed, i wonder if what i do/did <i>today</i> made a difference.

always testify and witness to folks, but sometimes seem like i should do more.

this seems like a great country, but we took a country ride from Chasn SC towards Atlanta GA last week, for daughters wedding.

man, it was some broke down, closed up, lost dream towns along the way.
folks businesses, homes, dreams and way of life had gone down the drain.

just wondering if America will be the great place for our grandkids, that it was for us.
I would like to think so but I honestly don't think so. Those broke down, closed up, lost dreams that you saw are from a generation that lost their jobs to a foriegn country and whose retirement plan has been compromised or allowed to be unfunded. America will return to its former self when America works. This out sourcing of our jobs has to stop. We cannot continue down this road as we have in the past. Lou Dobbs of CNN calls it 'Exporting America'. That might be a good place to start. Whadaya Think???

Jim
Old 01-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

When we pay people to do nothing through a life time of welfare and allow them to raise there children beleiving this to be the way, where did we expect it to lead. If you are given the choice to climb a mountain or walk a level garden path to reach the same goal, I am a believer that Mother Nature put it in us to walk the garden path. Where is the incentive for these people to dream. When those factories and stores closed down, the government just moved in and started handing out money and by virtue of this took away those people's need to move on and keep trying, and thus any hope for a meaningfull life. I understand that this is not the only fualt at hand, but I do beleive it to be the single largest one. I also understand that there were some good people in those places that did move on and do something in life, and also that alot of these were good people that just got caught up in the trap and then didn't know how to get out. The question is where do you go from here, you can't just jerk this support out from under them and actually expect them to change overnight, it is all the younger generations know.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe America's best days are behind us.

Countries rise & fall in their importance in the world. Iraq was once the center of the world for example. Spain, France, Britian once ruled the world, Mexico was a hemispere power at one time, all have been reduced to mediocracy and irrelevance by corrupt governments, liberalism, and fear of "what the world will think of us". We have been here for only 230 years, we can't possible remain the only superpower on planet Earth.

We no longer recognize a fetus as a baby, personal property can be taken to build anything that will increase taxes. We are harrassed and arrested for defending ourselves and our homes, yet they protect child molesters as being victoms. We used to take the homeless, drug and alcohol addicts and put them in hospitals where they got help, today they have a right to live under a bridge and crap in the subway or in your yard. People that immigrated to this country were shamed into learning English, today we have to supply tests in 168 different languages.

And our schools........ we are graduating kids that cannot make change for a dollar, have no idea who George Washington was, cannot read at a 12 grad level, we tenure teachers after 2 years, kids take off 43 school days a year, we can't celibrate Christmas, but they get 4 weeks off for "winter break". But our kids do know how to put a condom on and how to play video games, the high schools here put buckets out for the kids to put their cig butts in, AND they have friggin DAYCARE for the kids who have kids! No more shame in getting PG, they get a room so they can take time off to breast feed their kids! The kids sing rap crap music in school that have words I cannot even print here, but mention Jesus in school and they WILL be expelled.

Now for the "new" military. Those of you that know me know I'm as patriotic as they come. But when I see a single mother of 3 going off to war when down at the local bar sits 20 young men with nothing better to do than play pool & drink beer after cashing unemployment checks my head explodes! Something is wrong with a country that allows this to happen. I believe in MANDITORY military service to our country (how about GUARDING THE FREAKING BORDERS ) for every male with an IQ of 80 and above. (that way Begal1 would have to serve too. )

That about covers it....
Old 01-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

You know that is a good question...

But first let me just say that although it is sad to see any town or community go, somewhere else a new one is being built. Like the "circle of life" the old go and new ones come...

Now to make it better: I'd start with more honesty, with ourselves and each other. Trying to make it better not just in appearance by some gimmick but really making it better. And like it is said above we must ALL work, even if we have to forego a bit of the profits, unlike we see lately.

And last but not least: Thanks for your service.

Peter
Old 01-21-2006, 07:00 PM

First, thanks for serving our country and protecting my family.

I teach kids about God. Now before everyone goes on the offensive, let me say a few things.

I believe there is a God and, no, as a Christian I have NOT cornered the market on what is right and wrong. What I have learned is that it is better to give than to receive, stealing is wrong, telling the truth is a good choice, working honestly for your employer is the right thing to do, and so on.

Many (not all) of our founding fathers believe similar things. And maybe most important of all they gave credit to the good Lord for the blessing they received. We can't do that anymore, except in private.

God is a bad thing now. The courts, lobbyists, special interest groups, politicians, and on and on, are doing all they can to eliminate Him from our society.

Now if you don't believe in God, fine, but it seems its the minority that feels that way and yet they control the media and gov't.

I like to share with the kids what God has done in my life, 'cause He's done a lot. My children pray for our troops and I believe it makes a difference.

Anyway, it looks like America has decided to turn its back on God and He has no choice but to remove His hand of protection. Nothing new, nations have come and gone for 1000s of years. I pray we are not next in line.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geico,

Do not loose faith bud! There are still several of us out there who still believe in this country!!

I along with their grandfathers and great grandfathers have each taken the time to teach my boys 14 1/2, 16 family honor, respect, hard work, and charity.

My boys know hard work and the value of a dollar and both own their own cars as a result.

They know that life is not free and if you really want something that you have to pay to play!

They also know that money is not everything and are the first ones to volunteer to help the old lady down the street. Free of charge! (Ok, so fresh baked cookies sealed the deal).

I have grown accoustomed to hearing what hard workers they are on any job and I relish in the thought that I've been able to accomplish raising such fine young gentlemen!

I continually find it astounding that my boys work harder than most of my hired help,(at twice the cost), with consistently better results.

These are 2 young men that I hope you have the opportunity to meet someday. It would make you proud.

I know that I'm proud of them!

Rick
Old 01-21-2006, 07:50 PM

People or a country that can't/won't change will be unable to deal with the future. Some countries can outproduce us, now, because they are willing to work for less and pollute the environment. This is not a longterm successful strategy. When their energy sources run out or they refuse to work like slaves for little pay, there will be an uprising that will bring their countries to a halt. Much of our success today is based on things that didn't even exist when we were born. Our salvation depends on how well we can educate our children and grandchildren who can, in turn, lead us to levels we have not yet seen. Our kids will not likely succeed when they go head-to-head to out-produce a bunch of hungry, nimble-fingered, Asians.