Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Weekend Playing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend Playing

Well everyone, I'm off to play at a cook-off today. I am gonna drag Shamu (my 16 foot George Foreman on wheels....eat your heart out Scotty) into town and burn some meat. I scored a 60 pound hog last weekend and am gonna cook her whole, plus the normal fare of brisket, yard bird and spare ribs. I love this particular cook-off because I get to compete against a team comprised of City of Houston A/C inspectors, The Red Tag Cookers. I like to give em a ton of grief and play little games with them (like stealing their wood and replacing it with cedar logs and pine knots).... I have known all of them for over 15 years since I am an A/C contractor.

Well I hope everyone has a GREAT week end. I will see ya'll Sunday and let ya know how I did. (I usually take at least 2 first places in this cook-off each year).....

Shiner Bock------HERE I COME

Gary
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 AM

where's the cook-off at?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 AM

It's at a Knights of Columbus hall in Houston on Whitney street. Close to Northline mall (good part of town ). Go 45 south, exit Airline, go south on airline to 1st street turn right (Whitney) go about 3/4 mile and hall is on right. If ya want come on by... It will be over by 4:00PM tommorrow...

Gary
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 AM

i might make an appearance. whats your team called?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:58 PM

results

Derek, sorry I didn't reply with team name but I was on my way out. There were 14 teams there and I had the only blue Dodge with a Cummins there. It was parked right beside my pit.

We won 1st place in Chili and Open divisions. We all had a hoot of a time and I got to spend the night in my Dodge recliner. All I neede was a TV and I would have felt right at home...

Another great weekend was had by all!!!!! Weather could not have cooperated any better (thanks to the big man upstairs)....

Going to do another cook-out in La Grange for the MS-150 in 2 weeks... Gonna serve 400 bicycle riders pedalling their way to raising money to find the cure for Multiple Scelerosis.... Hope the weather cooperates again like this weekend....

I gotta go wash the smoke out of me now.....

Gary
Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by scuzman00
Derek, sorry I didn't reply with team name but I was on my way out. There were 14 teams there and I had the only blue Dodge with a Cummins there. It was parked right beside my pit.

We won 1st place in Chili and Open divisions. We all had a hoot of a time and I got to spend the night in my Dodge recliner. All I neede was a TV and I would have felt right at home...

Another great weekend was had by all!!!!! Weather could not have cooperated any better (thanks to the big man upstairs)....

Going to do another cook-out in La Grange for the MS-150 in 2 weeks... Gonna serve 400 bicycle riders pedalling their way to raising money to find the cure for Multiple Scelerosis.... Hope the weather cooperates again like this weekend....

I gotta go wash the smoke out of me now.....

Gary

Congrats on the 1st place. You must make one heck of a chili dish

I didn't know La Grange was an actualy place in Texas. I only brought this up cause as I was reading your post I was listening to the song by ZZ Top. What's so special about it?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM

Gary
I helped support our Company cycling team about 3 or 4 years ago when I was working in Houston. It is an incredible site to see 8,000+ ? bicycles in one place for a good cause. I think it's funny that they call it the 150 but it's more like 198 miles. Had a good night at the Fairgrounds after consuming much home brew beer and eating lot's of good food. I hope the weather co-operates and that no one gets hurt this year. Yeah Nate, It is a real town. It's a beautiful drive up there from Houston with all the Blue Bonnets blooming.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate-03 D

I didn't know La Grange was an actualy place in Texas. I only brought this up cause as I was reading your post I was listening to the song by ZZ Top. What's so special about it?
Because of the infamous place called the 'Chicken Ranch'.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/CC/ysc1.html

MikeyB
Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Good job Mikey!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D

lyrics for "La Grange"
Rumour spreadin' around, in that Texas town
'bout that shack outside La Grange
and you know what I'm talkin' about.
Just let me know if you wanna go
to that home out on the range.
They gotta lotta nice girls.

Have mercy.
A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
A haw, haw, haw.

Well, I hear it's fine if you got the time
and the ten to get yourself in.
A hmm, hmm.
And I hear it's tight most ev'ry night,
but now I might be mistaken.
hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm.

Have mercy.
:END:

hey gary, sorry i missed it. a buddy of mine got married yesterday and it was all last minute. didnt find out untill 10:30. the wedding was at 3. but congrats on the placing! there was a big cook-off at the hawg-stop in sheldon on st patty's day. my best friend's dad, dennis (outlaw) ray (i know you've heard of him) got first in fajitas and 2nd w/ chili. that was a good night!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:34 AM

Hey Derek, did he own "Outlaw Ray's" bar, next to the Huffman horse barn?? I go by there every morning after dropping my son off at school and cut thru the backside of Crosby to miss the 2100 traffic jam near Crosby High and at Hwy 90.

Nate, La Grange is definitely one of Texas more notable towns. Just like ZZ's song said, "A nice country town"... The drive up there between Conroe to Round Top is about as leisurely as you can get for a Sunday afternoon country cruise.

Thanks all for the kudos on the cook-off. We had a blast and was able to raise about $1500.00 for the local chapter of Air Conditioning Contractors Association. I'll be there again next year too. This was my 6th year there and it has only been there for 7 years....

Mike, last year there was somewhere around 15000 bike riders for the MS-150. The CRAZY part is that they leave at 7 am and they start arriving in La Grange at 10 am. Those are some SERIOUS bicyclists... It's really cool to watch them start off Sunday morning..... Its nothing but a sea of bikes....

Gary
Old 04-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Hey Derek, did he own "Outlaw Ray's" bar, next to the Huffman horse barn?? I go by there every morning after dropping my son off at school and cut thru the backside of Crosby to miss the 2100 traffic jam near Crosby High and at Hwy 90.

Gary
thats him! u may drive by my house in the morning. i live off of crosby-eastgate rd.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 PM

neighbors???

I drive down that road almost every day.... Too funny how small the world gets every day. What portion do you live on?? Close to the grass farm??

Gary
Old 04-10-2006, 03:20 PM

I drive down that road almost every day.... Too funny how small the world gets every day. What portion do you live on?? Close to the grass farm??

Gary
sheri lane. its the first road on the left after the "S" curve
Old 04-11-2006, 04:04 PM

neighbors

Derek,
Drove by this morning and looked down Sheri Ln. You live bout 3 houses down?? I saw a bluegreen Ram down there parked by itself out in front yard. I am assuming that that is you. I drive by there almost every morning after dropping jr off at Huffman High. I will try to drop into Wally World and say hi to ya sometime this week (specially since you are going off for training).

Gary

Quick Reply: Weekend Playing