Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Washing Machine Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Washing Machine Storage

I have a washing machine that used to work but I didn't have a place to store and I don't believe that it has been drained. It was just disconnected a little over a year ago and we put it in storage. It was heated throught the winter but this winter it hasnt been in heated storage and it has gotten cold down to zero. I would assume it has frozen up but does this mean it is junk now or what happens to a washing machine when it freezes? Are there parts inside that I can replace or is it all shot. I haven't hooked it up to see if it even works because I was trying to save myself some trouble. If its pretty sure its frozen then I wont bother with it. Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
If there was water left in it that did not evaporate, and if it did indeed freeze, as long as there was room for the ice to expand then it should be alright. If you want to check it out then plug it in and see if it works.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:08 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd say that the best way to check would be to simply put it in a warm place and see whether it does leak. (Test in a place where you can live with a lot of spillage)
Let it do a complete cycle.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 12-22-2004, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a Whirlpool washing machine to freeze once in the laundry room when we were without power one winter. The plastic pump and trap froze and burst. The pump includes the trap. Pump was less than $40 and was simple to replace. Simple to resolve. Unless you turn the machine upside down, water remains in that trap until it evaporates.
On a side note, the trap is there to prevent items getting into the pump that sift thru the holes in the bottom of the tub. When our son was young he carried loose BB's in his pockets so there was close to a hundred scattered under the pump when it thawed so I concluded they were ball bearings. Embarrased myself bigtime asking for a pump that had ball bearings instead of a sleeve bearing.
Nat