Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Warshin Machine???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warshin Machine???

I know there are a lot of edumacated people on this site, so I have a washing machine question. Yesterday the misses was doing the laundry, the machine filled with water, then clicked like it usually does to start the agitating mode, but instead of agitating it just quit (I guess too many pairs of my dirty shorts )! I looked at it when I got home and I was able to turn the drum/basket by hand each way and then it just locked in place. I'm not going to pay $100.00 for someone to come out and take a look at it, when for a few hundred dollars more I can buy a new one. The washer is 10+ years old I believe.

Any thoughts, suggestions on what might have happened??? Maybe theres a simple fix???

Thanks Tye
Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 AM

may have just lost the pump/transmission drive belt
Ckark
Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
May have been the switch that is on the lid. Mine did this, it would fill up, then stop. Take the switch off and touch the two wires together. If it starts up, that's what it is. 10 dollar part. Start with the cheapest thing first.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
May have been the switch that is on the lid. Mine did this, it would fill up, then stop. Take the switch off and touch the two wires together. If it starts up, that's what it is. 10 dollar part. Start with the cheapest thing first.
That's what I was kinda think'n as well Mark. I looked @ that last night and it seems to be click'n. Maybe I'll pull apart tonight and try to bypass it and go from there. But with the bucket not turning, I'm think'n the problem maybe more serious.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by darkvader
may have just lost the pump/transmission drive belt
Ckark
If that was the case then the bucket should at least turn???
Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Is it trying to turn? Or, once filled with water, does it just shut off? If it tries to turn, then I would go with drive motor/belt. If it just stops after the water fills up, I'd try the lid.

Come, cheepo, it's 10 years old!!!! Time for the wife to get a nice new one!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 AM

no the belt is what turns the agitator transmission. get the water out and most washers the belt can be seen from the rear bottom. if the belt is gone and the trans is in agitate the tub will be locked up. spin the dial to where it would pump out the water and see if it pumps. note: i can only speak fot my old wirlpool and maytags but they all(friends) seem the same
Clark
Clark
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Second that ^^^^
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM

cheapo! my wifes is a 1992 model and i quote" i don't want a new one, i like my old one. now just get your butt busy and fix it".
Clark
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM

mine did that and the motor took a crap had to put a new motor an tran
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 PM

I guarantee when you bring her home a washtub, a scrub-board and some new clothes line .... she'll change her tune about letting you get a newer model !!

I bit the bullet last year and got the mrs. a set of the super wham-a-dyne computer controlled washer and dryer. The kind that the washer and dryer talk to each other .... lots of cool buttons, pictures and noises but the clothes come out just as clean with the wash tub, scrub-board and clothes line .

Hope you get the problem fixed.

PISTOL
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Tye, what brand is it and how old is it? (hopefully older )

Like MADHAT says, but does the motor still try to run when the waterlevel gets up and you hear the "click"?

They usually work like this: Spinning the motor forward engages the agitator transmission ... The timer then stops it and then spins the motor in the opposite directon, driving the pump, and engaging the drum slip-clutch spinning the water out. When stopping the motor, a drum brake engages, stopping the drum Pronto! (this is likely what you're feeling when you rotated it by hand.)

If the water AND motor normally cuts off whenyou lift the lid, it is probably not your lid switch... (ours works like that) Some brands just interlock the motor and not the fill solenoid valves like MADHAT and DARKVADER were saying.
See if you can at least make it run to pump out the water... If it won't run in either direction, see if the motor is getting power.. It likely will not be... If none, look to the motor control relay or drum timer(may be all-in-one unit).

You may just be lucky and only cost you a mechanical timer. They arent bad to change out.. They eventually burn the motor contacts off the timer drum and won't go, no mo'...

Heaven help you if it is digital electronic/uProcessor controlled!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
I guarantee when you bring her home a washtub, a scrub-board and some new clothes line ....

PISTOL
I ran that by her.......Lets just say it didn't go over too well!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:24 PM

How Bad Was The Beating. When Do You Think You Will Be Healed Enough To Work On The Washer
Clark
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM

She probably just told him... "That's ok.. You wash, I'll DRY!!!"

K.

Quick Reply: Warshin Machine???