Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tweaking a leaf blower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweaking a leaf blower?

I bought a 25cc .8 HP blower today and not that that should be all that powerful but at full tilt it is barely going. While obviously there is no tack on there I can tell it is hardly working. If I cover the outlet partially, I can hear it really start going more like how I would expect it to sound. Why is that? I really don't know much about 2 stroke motors. Is there something I can fiddle with to increase the motor and therefore fan speed?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
DTR question asker

The reason you are hearing it rev up is that when you block off the area where the air comes out, the air stops flowing. The air that is in the blower housing starts getting blown around, and that makes much less resistance than when the air gets sucked in the blower intake, and sent out the exit. Because there is less resistance, the motor doesn't have to work as hard, and therefore speeds up.

Does the blower just not seem powerful enough, or does it just sound different because it normally functions (i.e. blower intake not blocked) at a lower RPM?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Small block Chevy.....good enough for a chainsaw....good enough for a leaf-blower. Be sure to wear protective gear.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:21 PM

Its really weak. Maybe that is all I get for .8 HP. They claim "205 MPH" or "400 CFM"...
Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Have a look at the compressor blades, when it's used a a vacuum it's easy to suck up rocks if you run it much over idle speed. If rocks have been sucked up at high speed there may not be much left of the compressor blades. It can usually be changed.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM

After break-in mix you can probably get away with mixing the oil pretty light, almost half of what the suggested is. Make sure you run the 1st couple of tanks correct to seat the new rings!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I wonder if ATS makes a good intake for it? Maybe ***** will make a.k.a "Wistler" for it. Or maybe put a Wisco Piston in it and a Mikuni 32mm carb on it. Worked on the Banshee
Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 PM

I will check the mix after a few tanks. The mix is a little heavy maybe 35 or 40:1 ?? on the oil but the weed wacker screams on the same mixture. I'll check the intake but there is a little grid over it and I never put it down on the ground while running (just got it today) so I don't think it sucked anything in there. I dunno I am probably expecting too much out of a 90 dollar blower I remember as a kid barely being able to lift the backpack blower and then when I'd crank that up it would practically send me spinning. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I used to have a cheap Homelite backpack blower.........it lasted about two seasons.

Then I bought a commercial quality ECHO backpack unit.
It cost about twice as much as the cheapie, blows harder, ...... and I'm still using the same one 5 years later.

I HATE cheap tools..........
Old 11-14-2007, 05:09 PM

I am surprized at how may people know so much about leaf blowers. I think it's cool, and it makes a nice "You might be a redneck...", joke.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 PM

Not a problem,take 1 5gal.can of methanol,add 1 pint of Blendzall/ nitro,run a very fat jet and double your hp.Oh,by the way it will not start below 60 deg.without ether in the carb.I'm sorry,just could not resist
Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 AM

I use my Stihl as a blower on my Miata during the off season, don't have to wait for the boost to build, just set and run. Have the throttle rigged up to my shifter with a lock button for wide open.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irocpractice
Not a problem,take 1 5gal.can of methanol,add 1 pint of Blendzall/ nitro,run a very fat jet and double your hp.Oh,by the way it will not start below 60 deg.without ether in the carb.I'm sorry,just could not resist
Where does one find Blendzall/nitro? BTW, I like your thinking...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
I bought a 25cc .8 HP blower today and not that that should be all that powerful but at full tilt it is barely going. While obviously there is no tack on there I can tell it is hardly working. If I cover the outlet partially, I can hear it really start going more like how I would expect it to sound. Why is that? I really don't know much about 2 stroke motors. Is there something I can fiddle with to increase the motor and therefore fan speed?

Take it back and trade it in for his bigger brother.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get a nitrous bottle, and just have a buddy walk behind you at squirt it at the air intake of the motor as you blow your leaves.

Quick Reply: Tweaking a leaf blower?