Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Truck driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck driving

So, I've been working delivering pizzas for awhile, was supposed to be a temporary job till I went to school but Wyotech didn't work out so I've been stuck here. Theres a pretty good truck driving school near by and was looking into becoming a truck driver but I'm a bit nervous on going because I've never driven a big rig, and I haven't towed anything especially something as large as some of these trailers. But the school obviously would teach these things. I guess my main questions would be is this a good field of work? I love driving and being out on the road by myself. I've driven to Utah and Idaho by myself just because I was bored. Anyone work as a trucker recommend it or anyone recommend any good schools or companies to work for?

I was trying to get a job with either BNSF or Union Pacific because I like trains as well but they don't seem to interested in me at the moment probably cause I have no experience.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you like being alone most of the time it is good work I liked it alot until the kids wanted me home so I switched back to working on them. Get a good school and companys like werner will take you on and send you out with a trainer for a while and then you are on your own. You wont get rich working for the teaching companies but it is a good solid foot in the door.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Heck, its gotta be better than delivering pizza's. I have a niece who went to a school in MT. I cant believe she is driving a truck now since she didnt have any mechanical abilities (you gotta be able to at least chain up).
Old 07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I havent driven a semi, but I have towed several different trailers and two thing have become very obvious.
1. longer is easier both forwards and backwards.
2. a 5er or gooseneck is easier than a bumper pull.

My dad hauled gas for a long time, now he runs a yard truck for a local warehouse. I have an uncle that has crashed more trucks than most truckers will ever drive, but when he is awake, he's a good driver. I have a cousin that drives a dump truck. They all have one thing in common, only other truck drivers really understand them.

If you dont have a family, run OTR for a while. when you get a family, go local. its long hours and tight schedules, but your home more.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 PM

As far as learning how to drive, just remember everyone was in the same boat at one time...take it easy till you get the hang of it, and don't worry about traffic - pretty sure they all come standard with brakes! I worked for ABC Supply driving a boom truck for 3 years, was just learning how to drive when I started the job, not long after getting my CDL I took over the truck myself, once you get used to it, you'd be amazed the places and driveways you can get in and out of once your comfortable with your truck and know its capability. But I enjoyed!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I havent driven a semi, but I have towed several different trailers and two thing have become very obvious.
1. longer is easier both forwards and backwards.
2. a 5er or gooseneck is easier than a bumper pull.

My dad hauled gas for a long time, now he runs a yard truck for a local warehouse. I have an uncle that has crashed more trucks than most truckers will ever drive, but when he is awake, he's a good driver. I have a cousin that drives a dump truck. They all have one thing in common, only other truck drivers really understand them.

If you dont have a family, run OTR for a while. when you get a family, go local. its long hours and tight schedules, but your home more.
LOL, sure you never drove a truck before?

Nice to see you Fronty, have not seen you in a while.

Tim
Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Does a dodge flatbed with a 40' triaxle inverted 5th wheel trailer count as a truck driver?

been in and out of the break room... mostly on break...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 PM

Not sure what exactly you want to do. But some of the oil field companys will pay you to get your CDL, Teach you how to drive and give you safe driving courses.

If your willing to relocate, or even work out of town, State or Country you may be able to find a company that will help you in the direction you want to go, make decent money and end up with your CDL in the end.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 AM

I got my CDL from a truck driving school a few years back. Most of them have lifetime job placement after you finish the course which is a pretty good deal. Most of the bigger companies will take student drivers such as Werner and CR England. You could work for a big company like that for a few years and than get a job with a local guy and be home every night.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 AM

as long as you really like to drive, you will be fine. also, patience helps a lot. if you get mad or roadrage easy, i wouldn't recommend it. look around your area, there are probably a few mid-sized companies willing to pay for the school if you sign a contract.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I learned to drive from a school as well. It taught the basics- driving in town in a day-cab with a 28 foot trailer, the pre-trip inspection, basic backing and parallel parking, and log/CFR 49 laws. I drove a flat bed for four years across the country. The last year, I started training new-hires how to drive, backup and maneuver with over-the-road cabs (longer wheel-based trucks) and 48 foot trailers with tandem and split axles, more log practice, chaining, strapping, tarping, and just how things were done. If you hire on with a decent sized company, they will most likely have a probationary period in which you will be trained. A lot of the larger companies have a reimbursement program to help subsidize or completely pay for your truck school if you contract to them for a couple years. When and if you do go, it's my suggestion that you study the DMV book for commercial vehicles and take all your endorsement tests... hazmat, tank and doubles/triples. I've used all of them for one reason or another. However, I never took my passenger test- I had no interest in freight that talks back.

Once you have a few years of OTR with little to no accidents, you can find work locally- delivering propane, fuel oil, freight, bread, gravel, whatever. And, keep your CDL current. If you go into other fields later on, having a CDL comes in handy. Now, I am an electrical inspector, electrical instructor, and electrician with a crane license. I've done work from private utility poles to erecting ball field lighting at collages. Having a CDL brought in more money.

Nonetheless, it is a lifestyle in and of it's own. My uncle once told me, from experience, you will either love it, or you will hate it. There's plenty of time to think about... anything and everything. Depending how far you end up driving, the topography you'll see is really great. You'll meet all sorts of different people, and you will get to see the extremes of our economy. It's a learning experience in life and this country if you are open-minded. You most likely will become a better driver in general. I think those who drove OTR will agree, as you will come to understand once you've been driving a bit, you will see how you used to drive while watching others on the road. It's been 8 years since I drove cross-country. I liked it a lot, until my daughter was about two years old. I paid off my bills and saved for a down payment for my house at the time.

PM if you have any questions. You need patience for sure. And, don't let anyone rush you while maneuvering or backing. Take your time, get out of the truck and walk to the side or back of your trailer if you have to... don't be too proud or embarrassed that you hit something you couldn't judge in your mirrors. Learn to hustle, but learn to do it safely.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:11 AM

Heck, I have a bachelor's degree, but I am thinking about trucking. Since I am planning on farming fulltime in a few years, I have found that a professional career really doesn't do much for me. I wouldn't mind hauling locally back home, preferrably grain and hay. I have also thought about hotshotting.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it! I looks like you are getting some great advice from others here!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:24 PM

I'm pretty relaxed most of the time and when I'm cruising on the road by myself I get even more relaxed. So I guess I'm going to do more research into finding a company that might help pay for the school costs and such. I've been thinking about truck driving the last few days and posts in here has helped alot.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:14 PM

I started driving last year. Did my training with Schneider, drove OTR for a little over a year. Now I drive a day cab out of St. Louis delivering building products. Went from being gone for 30 days/home 5 days. to being home every night, off every weekend and off holidays. Pay your dues and it gets better this way.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:12 AM

When I was working and had an office in Fife, WA, there was a trucking company there. One of my co-workers went to work for them. The truck company trained him and he was working as an OTR driver. I cant remember the name of the company.
There is a great demand for truck drivers.
Also the military truck driver training is great.
Did a short stint with wildcatters in the early 50's. A whole different game back then. Truck cabs were about the size of our pickups. Had 5 speed tranny with a split rear end.

Quick Reply: Truck driving