Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Truck broken into, guess what they stole

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck broken into, guess what they stole

I have my '92 CTD sitting in a locked garage about 8 miles away from my house (i live in an apartment while at school). I have been working on painting it and other odds and ends before it goes on the road. I had masking tape running from the back of the cab to the grill to mark off the division in paint colors (read striaght across the doors, not broken across door seams). Anyways, i went down the other day and went to start it to bring it outside to get teh tractor out from behind it. Truck wouldn't start, but grid heaters cycled. Figured the old battery was too dead to start it. Pushed it out, not thinking a thing about. Pushed it back in w/the tractor when i was done. Got a new battery and put it in the following weekend. Still no starting, but heaters cycled. Started looking at the wiring around the battery. Someone cut my starting relay right out of my wiring harness!!!!! !! The more i thought about it, the more i put things together. Someone came in, opened my drivers door, (the masking tape was broken at the front and rear of the door opening), popped my hood, and cut it right out! I also noted that my hood was left down, but not latched, and i clearly remember having it shut and latched so i could paint the hood and top of the fenders.
I really never imagined this would happen. I don't know if someone came in just to mess with it and randomly cut something out of it, or knew exactly what they were after. Needless to say, the tractor is now backed up and the bucket pushed against the inside of the back door where i think they came in, and the acrooss-the-road neighbor keeps a good eye on it. Its a sorry sight when someone breaks into a barn on a busy main highway and messes with someone's truck. I now worry even more about having my compressor, arc welder, tools, air tools, and all my other stuff down there. Ironic thing is that they moved a brand new western plow pump out of the way of the door to open and didn't take that, or my $300 impact gun laying on the floor of the truck. Anyways...used my factory serivce manual to redo the wiring and found a new relay to put in. I have my thoughts as to who it might be, but they are only thoughts...if i ever find out, it will be a sorry sorry day for them.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:09 PM

Sorry about your break in. Looks like they knew waht they wanted. Be glad the din't do any more damage, or steal any thing else. Get better locks and chain you stuff down.

Good luck on getting you truck back running.

Davey
Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 PM

Aren't relays only about $10-$15? Sounds to me like someone is messing with you. Anyone on your bad side lately?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM

Go put some holes in the barn or something and throw some empty 9mm or 45 auto shells on the ground. If they don't understand the connection then so be it. I had a guy at work once call me stupid for saying I'd shoot somebody if they touched my truck. I said well hey, if I tell you not to mess with my truck and you did, who's fault is it? Of course the way the goverenment works I could jump in front of a car on the high way and sue a truck driver for failure to maintain vehicular control. ahhhhh

Anyway sorry about my rant, that sucks that you have to worry about your things. My Fianc`ee was born in maine and you left doors unlocked, window's open, it was that kinda of area. Now adays if your house is unlocked and you get robed, it's cause you wanted to. What???? It's amazing. I worry about my truck but nothing like my family, you can get away with messing with the truck but family, big no no (and nobody will find the body)
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 AM

I'm also not familar with relays on those modles. Are they the ones that are mounted on the quarter pannel wal, or firewall?? My old bronco was like that, guess the new ones are on the starters. That stinks, napa or somebody should have one for you.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
My Fianc`ee was born in maine and you left doors unlocked, window's open, it was that kinda of area.
It is that kind of area. I bought a house 2 years ago and I honestly have never even seen the keys to the house. The way I figure it, I leave it unlocked because someone might need to get in.........really.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm with Spunbearing on this. Those are standard Dodge relays, you can replace them with a Bosch universal relay in a pinch. Absolutely no reason to steal one except spite.