Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Transmission trouble, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission trouble, help!

I have a concern that I would like some feedback on. My parents have a 1998 Dodge Durango that had a transmission failure at 75000 miles. Okay, thats bad, but dad went ahead and bit the bullet and had the dealer fix the transmission, i.e. rebuild it with a one year warranty. Since the rebuild the Durango has been back to the shop about 5 or 6 times within the last 14 months having the tranny adjusted, new torque converter, new seals, ect...basically this thing isn't right and probably never will be. After the last fix to the tranny, dad made the dealer renew the warranty for another year as if that makes it all better. I talked to him yesterday and he said they are still have the same trouble that they have always had, erratic shifting, tc slipping and so on. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on what legal action may be taken to get something done with this vehicle, like a NEW transmission or something. Seems like there should be a consumer protection act for this type of thing.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Hmmmmm- maybe it's not even in the tranny? Did they ever try to go for a spin with an OBD recorder that logs all the inputs?

AlpineRAM
Old 07-26-2004, 05:36 PM

they probably haven't tried that, but I am not sure. The dealer just seems to plug in their computer and "calibrate it" and call it good. Mom drives it for about a week or two and its back to the same old business.

I guess I am not sure what an OBD recorder, would that be like a fancy Oscillascope (spelling?)

thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 07:00 PM

The OBD recorder is a fancy laptop computer that is hooked up to your vehicle so it can record the "events" as they happen. At least that is the way it is supposed to work. I have heard of some that work fine with the recorder on and as soon as you unplug it..............back to the same old. Here is a suggestion..... call a decent tranny shop (look in the links section) and maybe you can go to the dealer with more knowledge than they have.
Good luck
Tom