Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Trailer Vs. a Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Trailer Vs. a Truck?

I have a tree service. As part of the service we haul away the tree that we take down, limbs, logs, leaves. We don't have a chipper yet but will get one when finances allow.
Currently, I have my 96 2500, pre-dented and pre-scratched with the old reliable 12v. Partner has a 97 gasser 2500. Either of us can pull my current 12'x8', 12K GVW dump trailer.

We have been considering getting a dump truck, or better yet, a medium duty truck with a 16-18' flat bed that dumps, as we could haul logs on it or put sides on it and haul brush or chip (when we get a chipper). GVW of such a truck unknown, but probably around 26K, but I'm thinking single axle.
In a perfect world, this truck would have a knuckle pick behind the cab for loading the bed, but I'm not holding my breath. And I have no idea what somethign liek this would cost.

I just ran across the mother of all dump trailers, at least that my pickup could tow. It's a 20' X 8' GN, with 4' sides and 24K GVW (tandem duals). It would allow us fewer trips to the job site and the dump, to get rid of the brush, limbs, logs, etc., but my partner's truck couldn't tow it, as besides the fact it's a gasser it doesn't have a GN in the bed. I believe I can get the trailer for around 10K. The only thing I am worried about with towing this trailer is stopping, as the 96 doesn't have the best brakes, as many of you know. I will rely heavily on the trailer brakes when loaded.

I'm trying to figure the economics of buying the trailer and using it instead of buying the truck I described above. I figure the trailer would be cheaper to maintain and insure, if I do insure it, whereas I'd surely have to have at least liability on another truck.
I know I will need to license my truck heavier, but wouldn't that still be cheaper than licensing a whole new truck for around 26K GVW? No idea what the increase in license will cost for my truck. Running passenger plates now.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of either and would like input from you guys.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
either way you go insurance will be your best friend. since you are using them for commercial uses i would defiantly have a good policy. you should check out some of the auctions. i know that dominion auctions off their trucks and sometimes they go cheap. my father picked up a "crew truck" (think crew cab dump truck with a work body instead of a dump.) for pretty cheap a couple of years ago. it was in great shape except for the paint and everything worked even the big ---ed pto winch on the front. you might even find a tree truck to buy at a good price. i think that place off 95 between richmond and fredericksburg had a couple of decent looking truck the last time i went by. upi also might try harris truck in newport news on jefferson ave. they usually have a couple of nice trucks. good luck
Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
insurance, taxes & over the road fees may kill you on a truck,

vice a trailer.

do a lot of homework would be my recommendation.
i worked at a shop, bought a HUGE 3 car tow truck.

never even got it on the road legally due HUGE fees & paperwork.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 AM

Just remember that with a trailer that big you are going to need a cdl. (Class B I believe) And when you use it comercially you are going to need to follow all trucking rules and probably have to get dot numbers. Not that you wouldnt have to do this with the truck you are looking at just something that your not going to get around with a trailer that big.

Evan
Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Chapter President

Before life threw me the curve ball of a busted back, and now Ive traded in my tree/logging service dreams for an engeneering degree (still in process) I was going to purchase this:

http://www.payeur.com/En/products/Wheeler.htm

It has the heaviest lift capacity for the boom, tor-flex suspension comes in gooseneck, pintle and fith wheel, tandem singles and tandem duals, the dump bed is removable, and it has a 100' cable hydralic winch. It also has equipment tacks so you can pull a loader up into it. It might be little spendy, but its the last trailer/ or haul truck you would ever buy. don't be fooled by other boom trailers, this is the heaviest capacity out there, 2000# at full reach!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
Before life threw me the curve ball of a busted back, and now Ive traded in my tree/logging service dreams for an engeneering degree (still in process) I was going to purchase this:

http://www.payeur.com/En/products/Wheeler.htm

HOLY MOLY!!! I have never seen such a thing. That's an amazing piece of equipment there. I will definitely consider that as we go.
I'd love to find a trailer that has a chipper built onto it so I could throw the chips into the same trailer instead of towing the chipper separately.

I had not thought about the CDL thing, but with this GVW, I guess it does apply. I always had air brakes in mind when thinking about a CDL, but this trailer is darn near needing air brakes by itself.

The trailer looks similar to this:

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Chapter President

Just curious, what do you do with 8" diameter logs and larger? Please don't say landfill, firewood is ok but if you want value added check these out:

http://www.baker-online.com/app/inve...6-17-32-1.html

http://www.timberking.com/sawmills.htm

A lot of tree service guys throw away or burn logs of tree species that woodworkers would kill for. Urban timber can be so large and old it rivals oldgrowth forest, wich are now gone or off limits, so many guys care about the next job and speed, they just throw it away, saw a guy take 36" by 15' black walnut logs and the burled stumps to the landfill because he didn't have time. These things will sell and move them selves if nothing else. Just a few ads and the "move it your self" clause, and thousands can be made. If you take up the mill idea, you will need a kiln. And if your interested I can show the one I had settled on, maybe even a nice fire wood processor?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...5+03&catID=248

http://www.blockbuster-inc.com/22-22.html

Anyway, just had to say it, even though I am out of the game, I still get passionate about trees.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I would buy another trailer EXACTLY the same as the one you have now. You could both go to the dump together taking twice the amount. Should one trailer or truck be down for service, you can still operate. You could also pull either trailer with another truck should the need arise and you stay "under the radar".
Old 10-22-2007, 05:15 AM

Dieselcarpenter,
I'd like to make money on both ends, and if I can sell the lumber to some place ,a mill, or a broker, I will. I hate to waste good wood. The broker I found will take as small as 9" on Pine (195.00 per 1000 board ft.) and 10" on hardwood (175.00 per 1000.00 board ft.). For wood that is not of that quality or size, we are kicking around the idea of firewood.
I could do pulp with most of it. Problem is that they only pay 16.00 per ton for pulp wood. With my GN flatbed I figure I can haul in 6 tons, which is only 96 bucks. I don't know that it's worh the time and fuel for that.
With this much larger dump trailer, or a truck of similar staure, I could haul more to the broker/mill, which is another reason I am thinking of upsizing.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Chapter President

Got a market for shvings? Check this out, its a valueadding chipper, you can even add color:

http://www.salsco.com/products/30.pdf

PS Milling is an awesome experience, nothing beats opening up a log for the first time! I would recomend adding a small weekend milling/drying operation when and if you can afford it and are interested, you can saw 1-2 weeks of logs in a day. I would also add firewood as a cornerstone as soon as possible, great value adder! Split, bundled, and delivered yields the higest profits ($800 or more per cord), but you-haul cut rounds is the easiest.(if you have the storage and location). The prices your broker is giving aren't bad, but oak for example kiln dried can brig $6000 or more per 1000 bf.(in your pocket!) Working as a tree service, you will come across exotics in yards that can net even higher, Check these guys out:

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/index.asp

They started as a tree service primarily, now with value added they are one of the premeire urban tree reclaiming companies in the northwest.

I geuss I am just rambling on, just trying to pass on some of my passion for trees, lumber, and woodworking.

Buy a trailer, Having a dedicated truck ties you down to a single purpose machine. think of it as a tractor with alot of different implements. One power head, many attachments. Besides, with a cummins out infront nothing can hold you back
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, DC.

Chris