Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tony Stewart Runs Over and Kills Another Sprint Car Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
He will, however, eventually be charged with manslaughter.
After seeing more videos I have to agree with that statement and rightfully so.....he let his attitude over rule is judgement and a young man died due to BOTH of their stupidity.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you feature up in Michigan?

I will bet you some prime maple syrup or honey that no charges will be filed.

investigation will reveal no substantial evidence to warrant any charges,

bet me
Old 08-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Tony Stewart is pretty much finished in the auto racing. He has a bad track record for causing crashes, but this last one pretty much sealed his fate to be black balled out of racing. Time will tell but many sponsors will back away from him.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
One big question I have is would the guy have gotten out and pointed his finger and shook his hand at a fellow "No Name" local driver?
Or was he thinking "I'm going to show this pro driver Tony that I mean business".... and know that his buddies will be high fiving him in the pits for telling off a pro driver like Tony???

Just a thought. I have grown up around dirt tracks and can safely say that 99.9% of aggression towards a fellow driver is ALL in the pit area!

Another thing to think about is he could have STAYED in his car and taken a hit at full speed from another driver and most likely walked away!!! Instead he jumps out of his safe place and loses his life in a split second.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope, not this kid. he was good in his own right and, like most of us, just didn't want to be cheated out of something. pit fights wouldn't happen as the big money guys aren't near the bays. team members also mean extra security. not to mention how fast tony disappeared, deputies had to talk to him by phone. now who else would get that treatment?

hope sponsors do back out, trail of bad attitude...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Could someone please post a video that shows any culpability on Stewart's part?

I have only seen the original video, but from that angle, Tony clearly is ahead of the kid going into 1, the kid is past midway back on Stewart, and he had to get up in the marbles or wreck both of them. How Stewart would have known anyone was mad at him is beyond me, they never got closer than 2 feet of each other during the wreck, so what would be his angle on being mad at the kid?

I have parsed the original video as much as I can possibly do, and from what I see, it is a tragic accident caused by the one who got killed.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone posted the video slowed down, you can see him hanging onto the wing for a few seconds before going under the tire.

I think he got himself into a bad spot not thinking and by the time he realized it, it was too late.

In the video you can hear an engine rev, but the camera is zoomed way in, and there were more than 2 cars on the track. The first car turned away from him, but you couldn't hear it rev, so the one we hear is unlikely Tony.

I think a lot of us are jumping to conclusions.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tony Stewart accident: No evidence of criminal intent, sheriff says

The sheriff investigating the on-track accident involving Tony Stewart that resulted in the death of a fellow driver says there is no evidence of "criminal intent" on the part of the three-time NASCAR champion.

During a news conference Sunday, Ontario County Sheriff Philip C. Povero said Stewart has been cooperating with the ongoing investigation and that there is no evidence that Stewart purposely tried to hurt Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint-car race in New York on Saturday night. Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Strikes, Kills Driver Walking on Track
Warning: Graphic content and language. Witness video shows the events at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on Saturday night that left a 20-year-old driver dead.

Ward, 20, was struck and killed by Stewart's car when it appeared he tried to confront Stewart while on foot during a caution in a dirt-track race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park.

“[Stewart's] been interviewed and ... has made himself available again if it’s necessary,” Povero said.

Povero emphasized that video footage of the accident “is very important and crucial to our investigation" and that his department is looking for deeper analysis of the incident from people who are familiar with sprint-car racing. He said Stewart was driving 35-40 mph at the time of the incident.

Story:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...810-story.html