Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toilet paper ettiquette

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toilet paper ettiquette

This one has been floating around in my head for sometime, since I frequent many hotels, truck stops, and various dining facilities ( I have not checked in any prisons yet, the ones they put me in had no bathroom, and the rooms were all lined with rubber?) I have been sort of sub-consciously collecting data on this... It would appear ( no surprize) that there is exactly two ways to hang the toilet paper ( if you have one of those fangled verticle toilet paper holders, go back to the breakroom, chaikwa has some super special 80w90 blend coffee brewing) over the top, and under. Each method has its own merits, detractions, and everyone does have a preference.

Over :

This is the way hotels do it, which leads many people to proclaim it is the correct way to hang toilet paper. It is arguably more aesthetically pleasing, but aesthetics are subjective, and some would disagree. It certainly displays more of the outside of the roll, so if you’ve invested in some fancy TP with pretty designs, you may prefer this method. That’s not however the real reason hotels hang the toilet paper this way. They do it so the housekeeper can fold over the end into that little triangle deal that signifies housekeeping has, at the very minimum, come into the bathroom and folded over the end of the toilet paper.

Under:

This method is functionally superior, offering easier rolling up of excess paper, and easier tearing off of a strip from the roll – especially one handed. It also gives you a few extra inches to maneuver, which can be a real blessing in cramped quarters.

So which is better? personally, I set it on the window sill and hope someone else hangs it up, hopefully using the "under" method. For those of us with a boss in the house, just do it which ever way she has instructed you to, its probably not worth the argument, unless like me, you have a supremely comfortable couch. in the garage. If your single, who cares how you hang it, until your trying to impress somebody, at which point the milk crate furniture and pizza boxes should go first...

Feel free to discuss. yourfriendlyneighbourhoodJKM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another slow day of truckin', huh?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An answer to that age old problem - AKA why didn't I think of this:

http://www.marketlaunchers.com/batts.html
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
An answer to that age old problem - AKA why didn't I think of this:

http://www.marketlaunchers.com/batts.html
I'm thinking more along the lines of "Who'd ACTUALLY spend money on that?"
I can picture the "Schticky" guy hawking that on a late night infomercial.......
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over all the way, if I have guest`s and they change it to under, there out the door, guess I sound a little **** hahaha
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM

I've found that "over" means you're a God fearing patriot, probably a veteran, and a fiscal conservative! "Under" usually implies that you're at the very least a commie bleeding heart liberal, bent on the destruction of the United States, as we know it today! At least at my house. Just saying!
The following users liked this post:
railroaderone (04-15-2020)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
OVER - - no question. YOu ever try to get to the paper when it is hanging up from under. On top, you can slap that roll and spin it and it will make the paper come loose. Then I don't get mad and jerk the sheet rock off the wall tearing that dumb hanger out. ................................

OverTheTopBob
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM
JKM

Over the top is a lot harder, almost impossible for someone as undexterous as myself to roll back up... Under the bottom? Got too much? Just give it a spin!

StillonthefenceJKM
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by ChrisJohnson
I've found that "over" means you're a God fearing patriot, probably a veteran, and a fiscal conservative! "Under" usually implies that you're at the very least a commie bleeding heart liberal, bent on the destruction of the United States, as we know it today! At least at my house. Just saying!
Not that you really have an opinion on it.

Toilet paper?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
What is this "toilet paper" yall speak off?

Is that in some way similar to what we use down here???

Name:  spanishmoss.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  55.0 KB

It works really well, til you forget to check for squirrels. Im starting to believe they take it personal.

BTW....

Over.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Administrator

I just use paper towels myself. Don't hafta wad up as many of those as you do toilet paper to keep your finger from pokin' thru.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Doesn't matter to me long as there is enough paper to clean the ketchup packets that exploded all over my legs from the practical jokers at the station.

Bravo group a, bravo. Not like I have bever done that to someone else before.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Doesn't matter to me long as there is enough paper to clean the ketchup packets that exploded all over my legs from the practical jokers at the station.

Bravo group a, bravo. Not like I have bever done that to someone else before.
Awwwww, you sound a little bitter. Did da wittle engine company boys pway a wittle twick on da big twucky?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I could care less about the direction of the pull. What matters most to me is the ply of the paper. I get really tired of getting self inflicted enemas.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Awwwww, you sound a little bitter. Did da wittle engine company boys pway a wittle twick on da big twucky?

Not bitter at all, thought it was hilarious. It only took a year for them to get me back. that's ok though, I set everyone's alarm clock including the dc to go off at 02:15. Wonder how that went over??

Quick Reply: Toilet paper ettiquette