Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

These Hollywood people are so stupid

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
These Hollywood people are so stupid

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — Sharon Stone is taking on two very different roles: One in the Linda Lovelace biopic, and another online to welcome returning troops.

The 53-year-old actress says she will play Lovelace's mother in "Inferno: A Linda Lovelace Story." But before filming starts, the "Basic Instinct" star has another mission: She's taking her first steps into the world of social media with a Facebook page that welcomes returning military personnel home from duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Stone says her page will serve as a community bulletin board where people can not only thank the troops for their service, but offer them jobs, discounts, a helping hand and a warm welcome.

"It's very important that people know that their country is behind them," Stone said in an interview. "With all of this negative chatter in the governmental races, we need to have our actual country say what they feel in loving, really vocal terms."

Stone said that with 38,000 military personnel heading home in the coming weeks, she hopes her We Welcome Home Our Troops page will be a positive place where troops can find support.

"I'd like to see like big stores like K-Mart and Target offer 30 percent off for veterans," she said. She hopes businesses seeking workers might also post on the page, along with "lots of thoughtful, understanding messages" from everyday citizens.

Stone said she is planning to hold contests for veterans to attend movie premieres and other Hollywood events, "and I'm hoping that other celebrities will do the same."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Sharon, I would LOVE to see Veterans get 30% off on products as well but how do you expect Kmart to pay for this great idea? Are you so stupid that you do not realize that Kmart or any other retail business can not stay open if they give away product for less than they pay for it?

If she really wants to help along this line then she needs to donate some of HER money to offset the costs of such a great idea instead of expecting someone else to do so.

I am surprised she is not in one of the "Occupy" camps as we speak.... these idiots want everyone else to give away their money while they keep what ever they have

Helping Veterans is a TERRIFIC idea but you have to be realistic, many products do not have a 30% mark up so obviously they can't discount it that low. 10% might be a realistic number but then it still depends on the product and the store costs involved with getting it in stock for the consumer.

___
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As mathematically impaired she may be, it is a nice gesture. I agree that 30% is a unrealistic number but I seen "Veteran's Day Sales" at the mall offering 60% off on certain items.

Nice gesture but unless she forks out the money herself....
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In response to the question, yes the hollywood crowd are that dumb.

Here is an example. Rosanne Barr supports a tax on the SUPER rich. How rich is super rich? 100 million or more. Rosanne Barr's net worth: 80 million. Its ALWAYS a great idea for someone else to be taxed as long as its not me.

For a long time Michael Moore stated he was part of the 99%. Now he confesses that he is in the 1%. He won't say what he's worth, how many homes he has or how many cars he owns.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-the-1-percent
Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM

Can somebody 'splain me as to bobo's plans for the returning vets,as in school aid,housing assistance,job assistance or,is this limited to illegals only?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by irocpractice
Can somebody 'splain me as to bobo's plans for the returning vets,as in school aid,housing assistance,job assistance or,is this limited to illegals only?
Limited entirely to Illegals and NOTHING for those who put their life on the line for this Country.......Remember....Obama KNOWS the Vets are too SMART to vote for him so he has no use for them any how
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

YOu have to admit though Lary, pretty brave to spit on the greatest fighting force the world has ever known...

Ok, you got me, just plain stupid. You have to be in awe of our troops discipline though. Better then me for sure.

As far as grabbing headlines, you also have to fault the idiots who wrote the story as well. Surely written as a softball piece explaining how sharon loves the troops more than us lackeys, instead of pointing out reality and asking her to put up or shut up.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM

They don't call it hollyweird for nothing or L.A. la la land.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok, I agree that the vast majority of folks in the "entertainment industry" are no smarter than the average box of rocks.

That said.

Kmart, Walmart, and most of the other "big box" stores, could quite comfortably give 30% off retail to veterans, and it wouldn't make much of a blip on their profit radar.

You have to realise exactly how little the big retailers pay for their products that you see on the shelf.

For the little mom and pop operations, there isn't much room for price cuts, as they pay through the nose for their stock. The big guys.... not so much.

Now, before I get completely inundated with comments about being a brain dead liberal supporting pos, I will say this.

I work for a living. In fact, I work my bag off. And I choose to charge a fair rate for what I do. I look at how high prices are climbing, how little our dollars are worth these days, and how little VALUE we get for those dollars. I get a wee bit irritated. Even the "big box' guys are gouging to beat heck, where and when ever they can.

I don't believe in the redistribution of wealth. you want something, go work for it. I did, you guys did, and those vets coming home... They sure as hell did. And yes, they deserve a break. Take the dollars given to 38,000 welfare dwelling drug abusing sacks of...... anyway, and give that to help offset the cost of the 30% off retail, if you so choose. But don't try to float the idea that the big companies can't afford it... Especially in this case.

Now, I'm going to leap off my soapbox, and go see if I can warm up a bit.

Have a good one folks.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
...OK Sharon, I would LOVE to see Veterans get 30% off on products as well but how do you expect Kmart to pay for this great idea? Are you so stupid that you do not realize that Kmart or any other retail business can not stay open if they give away product for less than they pay for it?

If she really wants to help along this line then she needs to donate some of HER money to offset the costs of such a great idea instead of expecting someone else to do so.

I am surprised she is not in one of the "Occupy" camps as we speak.... these idiots want everyone else to give away their money while they keep what ever they have

Helping Veterans is a TERRIFIC idea but you have to be realistic, many products do not have a 30% mark up so obviously they can't discount it that low. 10% might be a realistic number but then it still depends on the product and the store costs involved with getting it in stock for the consumer.___
TOP, all good points.
You're right.
It's usually much easier to come up with great ideas on OPM.
When you have to foot the bill, most change their tunes quickly.

Originally Posted by irocpractice
Well, let see?
EDUCATION:
It's already in place and has been as long as I can recall. It's been knnown as the GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, and now has another moniker, but it's all the SSDD....education assistance.

JOBS:

There's already a "veterans preference" in place in government employment, and has been as far as I can recall, since the 70's at least.
When testing for most civil service jobs, veterans have always received "points" on the test. Another "incentive."
And today, there are more incentives being offered to employers who hire "returning veterans, and DAV's."

Nationwide unemployment is already rediculously high.
Using the numbers provided here, of the 38k returning, how many are guard/reserve troops.
Those troops "should" have a place to go upon return.

The rest are active duty, and as such are presently employed, correct so far?
Now we fall back on "planning."

How many of these AD troops have availed themselved of the training offered through the military, and the various "on line" colleges that offer courses to deployed troops, to "prepare themselves" for the civilian world?
Or do they just expect the "Gub-ment" to provide them a job just "because?"
Face it, there's just not a lot of openings for an 11B in the private sector.

HOUSING:

Again, already in place.
VA loans are available for housing.
What else would you have the "government" do?
"Give" them a house?

While we're at it, let's look at:
MEDICAL: (non-combat related)
Provided!
And will continue to be provided to one degree or another, through the VA.
A buddy of mine, a 4 year, peacetime Marine, get's the vast majority of his medical, dental, eye care, etc., through the VA.
He pays a small deductible and the rest is on us (*the U.S.*).
I don't care, and don't begrudge him that.
Just because he was never called to battle, didn't mean he wasn't "ready", and deserves the benefits provided by his contract with the government.
I have never used my benefits (any of them), but with rising health costs, I am now starting to consider it. It was part of the "contract."

The bottom line is, there are already programs in place, as well as several new programs on the horizon, that help the troop re-establish themselves into society, economically, educationionally, emotionally and physically.

And we all "should" have a heart for these guys and gals, and respect the sacrifice and dedication they've made in their chosen career.
But we can't loose sight of reality either.

Our country is already in the crapper financially.
Unemployment in all sectors is at an all time high, with the exception of the Great Depression, and everyone is scrambling to get by.
Adding another financial burden to the mix is not going to make matters better

Everyone involved, "Chose" their path.
There's not a "draftee" in the bunch!
It's up to the individual to plan for their future, not the government to provide it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the vets returning from the middle east, have been receiving untaxable income while in country, as well as combat pay and other incentives, am I not correct?
Depending on your rank and LOS, that could amount to a tidy little income.
Now, here's the kicker.

I'm on a lot of auto and boating sites, not just truck related. Hardly a week goes by, that I don't read where some dude participating in the sandbox or rockpile derby, isn't planning on blowing his "entire deployment" income, on a new truck, Vette, new Camaro, or some laundry list of mods

Now, I have no problem with spending some bucks on a ride. After all, no matter what you do for a living, be it a combat troop, or a civilian accountant, now days you're probably working your butt off trying to make ends meet. That said, everyone deserves to have a little release in life from the everyday stesses, be it a vacation, a hobby, or what have you. But pizzing away your blood money, without planning for the future, is irresponsible.

Does anyone find it prudent, to spend your "entire deployment pay" on "mods", and expect the government or private sector, to support you or "give" you something, for doing what you volunteered to do in the first place?
I find that just a bit odd.

OTOH, if that person is squared away financially, has the "farm" paid off, and his/her education taken care of, then mod away!
But some of these people I read, vascilate back and forth between how am I going to make ends meet and I'm going to blow the whole wad on a _______.
More the here, hold my beer types

We talk a lot on here about not "depending" on the government to "take care of us," and how the welfare types are a drag on the country, yet we support the idea that "government" should somehow be obligated to "provide" certain subsidies to a particular group over another, simply due to their career choice.

While the illegal immigrant "deserves nothing" since they've chosen to be here ILLEGALLY, why limit the "benes" to just the troops?
Don't other people deserve some bene's for doing their jobs?
What about fire-fighters? Paramedics? The School teachers that are bringing up the next generation?

Obviously I'm being fecetious, but the point is, while all of these people provide a necessary and potentially life changing service to our country on a day to day basis, and deserve our respect and admitation as much as anyone else, it's not fiscally prudent to give away the farm in the name of admiration.

And just because one puts their butt on the line (in whatever sector of life), doesn't give them the right to "expect" gratuities for it.

A more local example.
For decades, local restaurants have been providing free and reduced cost meals, to law enforcement and emergency services personnel, as a "thank you" for their "service and dedication" to the community.
Trust me, the number of cops/firefighters, paramedics, etc., that walk through the doors, is not going to break the companies bank. And most leave enough of a tip for the wait staff to cover the cost of the meals.

In recent years, agencies have enacted regs disallowing this practice. In some departments, that comped meal can cost you a job.
You're already compensated for the job you volunteered (and in many cases competed heavily for) to do.

Limited entirely to Illegals and NOTHING for those who put their life on the line for this Country.......Remember....Obama KNOWS the Vets are too SMART to vote for him so he has no use for them any how
How can you say that" There's a LOT in place for the troops!
As for the vote, let's hope so Larry.

Originally Posted by pind
...Kmart, Walmart, and most of the other "big box" stores, could quite comfortably give 30% off retail to veterans, and it wouldn't make much of a blip on their profit radar.
Very likely true. Walmart actually sets the price it will pay for an item. They have all the marbles, and if you want your product in their stores, you'll sell it to them at their price.

I don't believe in the redistribution of wealth. you want something, go work for it. I did, you guys did, and those vets coming home... They sure as hell did. And yes, they deserve a break. Take the dollars given to 38,000 welfare dwelling drug abusing sacks of...... anyway, and give that to help offset the cost of the 30% off retail, if you so choose. But don't try to float the idea that the big companies can't afford it... Especially in this case.
I'm not beating on you here, just using this as an example.
What you are suggesting is exactly that, a re-distribution of wealth of sorts.

We take from one sector of the community that for whatever reason one seems to feel is "unfit" (from 1st hand interactions, I may actually agree in many cases), and give that to another sector of the community, this time the troops.

The "vets coming home" have been compensated by the government and subsequently, the taxpayer, for fulfilling an obligation they made via the military establishment. They took a job, knowing the possibilities, did it and was paid for it.
It's no different than a Border Patrol (CBP) agent, who does "X" number of years on some Mexican border, and decides to move on to greener pastures.

While there, he/she put thier lives on the line daily (in several ways) and was compensated to do a risky job, at a pay rate that was made known to them in advance

In both examples, when it's over, it's over.

Now, I'm going to leap off my soapbox, and go see if I can warm up a bit.
Good luck staying warm
On a final note, one of the reasons I can't support a lot of these "gimmies" is simply the "way" they're promoted.
Daily I see offers from the private sector to "active duty" and "retired" veterans.

This excludes a HUGE SEGMENT of the military population. Of course I'm referring to the "former" military people.

Many of our Active Duty personnel have never seen combat. In some cases, they've never left the continental united states!

Then there are the throngs of "former military", combat and non-combat vets, who've served, yet won't qualify for many of these offers, (without having to "ask"), simply because they don't have a combat related injury, a retired or active ID card?

So where do we draw the line?
We have 38k in personnel (not all "combat" troops) that will be returning by December/January, according to all published information.

We have how many who have already done their hitches and are already back in society?
Many of those are combat vets. Many have been injured, maybe not severely, but injured all the same.

What do you suggest we "offer" to them while all of this rah rah is going on?

Then there's still the 'Nam era vets......

I support our troops as much as the next guy, and thank them for their sacrifice; however, for me, it's a handshake, a pat on the back, a welcome home, job well done and thank you for your service.
Here's your disney/Epcot pass for a year, and your VA card.
There's your counselor, Go see them for assistance with your contracted benefits.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
She got her media attention.

That's what she wanted. That's what they all want.

We are in for an interesting time in America. Bringing home thousands to no jobs and a depressed economy.

I'm sorry to say my suggested 2 year cushion for emergencies lasted just under 6 months. I now earn 1/3 of my previous income and am very fortunate to have a part time job that gets me 40 hours a week and has no definite stability.

America wanted cheap. They got it. I hope they're happy.

As for the returning Vets, I wish we had something more to offer them job wise. No distraction is going to be mentally hard for many of them and I am concerned.

God bless 'em all and welcome home.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Here we go with the Plastic People again. You've heard that once before today from me Lary and Wyo.

Yes is is a great idea, but it's a PR gesture. Don't think otherwise. It's cheap advertising and talk is cheap.

Anybody know how to spell Soap Box? Anybody???
Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by Polaraco
Anybody know how to spell Soap Box? Anybody???
Hmmm....

P - O - L - A - R - A - C - O.

I think... Although Off duty appears to be giving GM a run for his money...

(u - n - c - l - e s - t - e - v - e works too!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Off Duty

How can you say that" There's a LOT in place for the troops!
As for the vote, let's hope so Larry.
I can say that because I read his question.....he asked what plans Bobo had for the returning Veterans?.....Everything you quoted was already in place Bobo has NO plans for them at all. In fact Bobo doesn't want them here and I would not be surprised if he tries to find a place to send them so their vote won't count. We all know how they tried to disallow a boatload of their votes last time and got away with it.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by wyododge
Hmmm....

P - O - L - A - R - A - C - O.

I think... Although Off duty appears to be giving GM a run for his money...

(u - n - c - l - e s - t - e - v - e works too!!!
Does this fall in the same category as Medium Butt?

Wait till I get my hands on Scott.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can say that because I read his question.....he asked what plans Bobo had for the returning Veterans?.....Everything you quoted was already in place Bobo has NO plans for them at all. In fact Bobo doesn't want them here and I would not be surprised if he tries to find a place to send them so their vote won't count. We all know how they tried to disallow a boatload of their votes last time and got away with it.
I believe Lary is 100 percent correct. Bobo has no additional plans for these men and women at all. He figures that the majority will not vote for him and therefore will offer them nothing in return.... except a tour in another country.

Quick Reply: These Hollywood people are so stupid