Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tech School

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech School

Hi guys, I have a question about some of the big tech schools (Wyotech, UTI, Nashville Auto-Diesel College, etc.). Are these schools more helpful than going to a regular college or university in getting one ready for the automotive industry? I'm really thinking about going to one of these schools, but I don't know if it's worth that big price tag. I want to pursue something in the diesel industry (the reason I am posting this in a diesel forum) because I love the technology, raw power, and the industry is booming. I was thinking about doing something with light duty diesels (pickups), high performance power trains, and some fabrication. So I would like to hear the alumni of any big tech schools to get their input on the matter. I've heard several things, one friend told me when his dad went to a school they didn't do anything to help him after graduation, but then some of my other friends are in the best part of their lives from going to a tech school and getting a really good paying job.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 PM

I never attended Wyotech, but I do know it's a great school. I would've gone if I hadn't joined the Air Force. Not only will they teach the trade, but they help with employment too. They have a 95% job placement rate (not guaranteed emplyment though). Most of the big name companies hire directly from Wyotech. I would contact the school to see what kind of info they can send you. I know it's pricey but worth it in the end.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean you want to work in the "Automotive field", or do you want to be a mechanic?

If you want to work in corporate like stuff then I'd say... err umm, you probably want to be an engineer.... or get a business degree.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Im going to the University of Northwestern Ohio. Im Graduating in September. I will graduate with an associates degree in Diesel Technology and Business management. This is what really drew me in to the school over the others that send you away with nothing but a firm handshake and a pat on the back....

UNOH does offer help with job placement during your schooling and after graduation also.

http://www.unoh.edu
Check out the college of technologies section.

Check out the website, Give them a call. Call all the schools you have considered and speak with them. They will tell you everything you need to know.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to ITT Tech and also got an associates degree. The job placement after was a joke at best. I recently met a young man who went to WyoTech. This guy knew nothing about much of anything. Dummer than a bag of hammers! The one thing I WILL say is that a degree has earned me more than one job. Knowing something helps too, but the simple fact that you have a degree means you have the drive to learn and finish something. Kind of like an honorable discharge from the service. It shows you have discipline and can accept orders and finish a task. I know there is more to both ( degree and service record) but that is what I look at.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 AM

I went to WYO Tech for there diesel program. It was a joke, I should have went to the local college. woulda saved a bunch of money to.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Trust me, WyoTech is extremely overrated. They had just gotten bought out by a company in Wisconsin or somewhere over there when I went (03), and now it looks to me like they are only concerned with expanding, and with that quality of education may go down. The instructors were mainly concerned with BSing instead of actually showin you something. Pretty much was a waste of $20k+, although I will say that Street Rod was pretty educational, and thats where I learned most of my stuff. Id stick to a smaller community college program, youll get about the same if not better education and not nearly as much out of pocket. Good luck with whichever route you choose...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:59 AM

From what I have heard about those kind of schools, correct me if I'm wrong, is they start off really basic. From what I understand is if you have any mechanical inclination then it is almost a waste of time because they will teach you what you already know. Before I joined the military I worked in an automotive repair shop and I thought I knew a lot before but that is were I learned most of what I know now, I worked there for a year and learned a lot about general automotive. IMO that would be the route I would take. Find someone that will hire you and work your way up from there. If you want to get into diesel's find someone that advertises diesel service.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 AM

I too also believe that Wyotech is overrated. I never attended Wyotech but I know 2 people that have. One went for Diesel Tech and one and Autobody Tech. The one that went to be a diesel tech called me yesterday wanting to know how the cam sensor works in a CTD. But I must admit he knows a lot about the new emission engines. He said they didnt have much training on the old Cat, Cummins, Or Detriot diesels...

My other bud who went to be an autobody tech, still doesnt have a job. (2 months since graduation I believe). From what I get from him, Wyotech doesnt mean much on paper to a "simple" shop. By "Simple" I mean, the shops that have mechanics not part changers.

Its your call. But if I was you save the money and go to a local tech school. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
Trust me, WyoTech is extremely overrated. They had just gotten bought out by a company in Wisconsin or somewhere over there when I went (03), and now it looks to me like they are only concerned with expanding, and with that quality of education may go down. The instructors were mainly concerned with BSing instead of actually showin you something. Pretty much was a waste of $20k+, although I will say that Street Rod was pretty educational, and thats where I learned most of my stuff. Id stick to a smaller community college program, youll get about the same if not better education and not nearly as much out of pocket. Good luck with whichever route you choose...
When I was there in 01 it was that way to. The instructors when I was just told you to look it up in a book if you had any questions, with the exception of a select few. And they shove you thru everything so fast its hard to pick any of it up. But i gotta say i had a lot of fun in the bar.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i will graduate from UNOH in 8 days. probably the best decision i ever made, stay away from WyoTech, they are way strict and the teaching isnt that good, we got great teachers, im good friends with most of them, you should come and take a tour of the school sometime. well worth the time, we have offroad club, diesel club, drag club, over the wall club, tech support for the race track, most of those clubs got more than 30 people in each one, remember we are the only school that owns a race track, 3/8 mile dirt, we get in free, plus we also get into free at Tony Stewarts Eldora race track on some weekends. offroad club goes to Badlands, Haspin, road race club, Tellico, few more places. we have our own Hill (about 40 feet high) for the offroad course, designed by yours truly and about 7 or 8 other guys but all the props should go to our president Adam Kinnet cause he has made the club what it is, its covered in big rocks on one side, the other side is telephone poles strategically placed to make it almost impossible to climb, the back side of the hill has a log crossing and a tire pit, for its size, its almost impossible to traverse, we are having XRRA moon buggies coming in a couple months or so to play on it. we have our own burn out pad alot of the classes will take the rail dragster out and do launches on it. i have been there for a while cause i had to take cummers off to work, go straight through and get it done or it drags on. best money i have ever spent.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 AM

Dang LOGAN, UNOH sounds like an adults playground .

I cannot pass a first hand judgement on Wyotech but I do have a buddy who attended and he said the exact same thing as everyone else has, nothing worthwhile.

I enrolled in my local tech college. St.Cloud Technical College for their Medium/Heavy Duty Truck Program. I start next month(August 27th). I got to go in to meet my instructors and they seemed very helpful and informative, they were realy down earth and there for the students it seemed. They have a great job placement rate after graduation, even during my orientation I talked to two diesel shops who offered me a job on the spot when school starts.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM

I went to Lincoln Tech and quite honestly its hard to be motivated there. The thing is you can get your moneys worth out of it but you have to work at it. I graduated with all my ASE for automotive (not a given, you have to go above the curriculum) and it is a way to get into the dealer training schools like BMW STEP, which I am in now. There are other dealer training for the diesel side of life as well. I know international has a school, at least I think they do. Most of the dealer schools want you to come in from a tech school or tech college, and its easier to get in from a tech college like WyoTech or Lincoln Tech or UTI.

In this day and age you need school to work on the cars, at least I would have for BMW's. It would take too long to get myself up to speed on how they do things otherwise. The tech school isnt where its at, you want to get into one of these http://www.uticorp.com/Default.aspx?tabid=684. Those are not all of them, but I cant remember off the top of my head what the rest are. While a quick google search showed most of the websites are run by UTI, UTI does not own the programs. They house them, same as Lincoln Tech. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you have, though my experience is with LTI and BMW STEP, not diesel training.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks guys, that's a lot of help. I'm still in high school, they want us to look at colleges early and try to apply around the end of junior year. UNOH sounds really good, I might give that a look. I'm trying to stay close to home, so I don't have such a long commute home on the holidays and I just don't like being so far from home lol. Thanks so much for the help. I think tech school is out of the running.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM

Something else to consider is checking into Caterpillar, Cummins, Euclid etc. Some have programs. There are heavy equipment schools out there sponsored by the manufacturer. For automotive some colleges have programs sponsored by Ford, GM, Dodge or whatever so you can become a factory certified Mechanic. Look at pay scales too. I was a jet engine mechanic and almost went to complete my airframe training when I found out the pay wasn't that great for an airframe and powerplant mechanic. Remember too that working with big rigs or equipment means heavy, heavy stuff. Yes they have lifts but sometimes you can't help lifting heavy. I think the trades are excellent ways to make a living. I also think it's dying off, to many wanting the easy life. Oh, also call some truck shops and go talk to some mechanics to find out where they went to school. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Tech School