Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Team Ropers...How many we got??

Old 04-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Team Ropers...How many we got??

Well I figured I would post and see how many team ropers we have on this site. I have noticed more and more people mentioning that they are ropers, so I figured I would get us all on one forum and we can talk about the "good stuff" lol...So anyways lets hear ya....Are you a card holder? What card(s) and what number(s)? What type of ropings do you rope in? and most importantly are you a Header or Heeler?

I am a header, currently a #3 on the new USTRC Traid system but working my butt off to get knocked down to a 2 lol <helps knowing people>...this is my first year as a card holder, but have roped on n off since I was about 9yrs old. I rope mainly in small jackpots and lower numbered ropings, going to start roping more this year since my gelding is ready. Both my father and brother used to rope, my dad no longer does, he was a header and a heeler, and my brother I am trying to get back into it so I can have a good heeler, just have to get him a good horse first.
~Heather~
Old 04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am!!!!!!....

Oh wait....I thought you said old goat ropers

Never mind
Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-07-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I am!!!!!!....

Never mind
lol dont worry..im sure we can fit ya in somewhere lol
Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I am!!!!!!....

Never mind
I knew somebody would have to say it!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:43 PM

Well,I don't team rope at all.But,I do a good bit of tiedown roping.I haven't ever team roped at all.(Except in the pasture and thats not for fun).But I am going to college next year on a rodeo scholarship and the coach wants me to team rope so I can make more points.But all I have are calf horses and I don't want to mess them up doing that.And plus,If I started heading i'm afraid I might start topknoting calves.And,I would probally forget and bail of my horse with my slack in my hand and run down the rope before I realize I am team roping!But, I think I could do it.The way it is now,I am either working,on DTR,workin on a truck,or roping.We,rope every night for a few hours and then cool down the horses and then flank and tie calves.I am finally getting in good shape after the winter.We rope in the winter too but don't flank and tie as much.Flank and tie 50 times from the post every night will get you in shape pretty fast.But it's great,rodeo is the best sport there is.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Team rope..

my photo gallery shows... Number i used to be a 3 on the old seven system, i dont know on the new one yet... My dad is a 4, heads on both numbers.. Heels he is a 4 too, and im a 2 on heels.. or used to be.. Now i wouldnt know...

I head and heel, could do either or, hit jackpots, round robins, the occasional US ropin, although its been three years since the last one, the booger barters, even more time still, and the coors ropins i dont hit.. too biased down here with unlimited entrys allowed. leaves us dirt broke fellas with nothing...

Tx
Old 04-07-2005, 11:40 PM

thats cool caleb..what u should do is get yourself a cheap horse...n make him into a head horse for ya that way you dont ruin your good calf horses...i know a few horses that are calf and rope horses...but as far as making a calf horse a rope horse your best bet would be to heel of a calf horse cus its more along the lines of calf roping..i would definately not turn a calf horse into a head horse lol..heck my head horse cost me 1000..granted he didnt know nothing when i bought him and it took me a year and half to get him to a normal horse..come to find out he used to be a bucking horse off a buckin string...kinda explains why he was so flanky and chincy and like to bog his head alot...but with alotta hard work and time and patience...hes become one killer head horse...here soon i am gonna kick him over to the heel side n get back to working on my mare as a head horse before i end up breedin her....and i wish i could rope nightly..i rope at least twice a week and all the other nights im on client horses....and good luck on the rodeo scholarship..i am gonna start school here in a few months and i am gonna join the rodeo team...doubt i will run barrels unless i can tune my mare down a bit and get her head set on the pattern shes a running fool but a lil to hot for a barrel horse cus i cant stand hot horses..i like a horse that will work with you and not against you..but shes not a bad rope horse so far...so more than likely i will just rope and maybe even do a lil break away just to get more events in..dunno yet..will see once i start school and what not.
~Heather~
Old 04-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Muted User

im good on a horse but i`ll stick to riding bulls. cause there is no way i will be able to get that **** rope around one of them little buggers.....
Old 04-08-2005, 10:18 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I thought this was gonna be a joke thread....
Old 04-08-2005, 11:29 AM

I would heel off of them but i'm kinda scared to lose a finger.And,I dont like the way heel horses break from the box.They launch straight.A calf horse needs to leave and run right to the corner of the barrier.I want my left leg just a few inches from hitting the chute when we leave.So,I am afraid heeling they might learn some dirty habits too.And my calf horse is so bad,I don't want to change anything about him.I think once they find their job they need to stick too it and excell at it.Instead of being marginal at a few events.IMO
Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Scarecrow thats cool...i have alot of bull riding buddies..even a few that ride PBR..I was always stuck in the middle cus the bullriders hated the ropers n the ropers hated the bullriders n all my friends were either ropers or bullriders lol..although i dont see many of the guys that used to ride...just see all my roping buddies n thats it.

Caleb...come on..ya gotta take chances..I will tell ya it can be a little scarey at times...heck last Sunday i turned this lil muley and right when i dallied and took off i slipped a dally and all of a sudden that steer dug down and i felt my hand go snug in my dally and thought i was gonna lose something..but dropped my dally fast enuff <thank god my heeler had already taken his loop and missed> but i ran alotta rope and had a stiff hand for a few days...as long as ya always remeber thumbs up and if ya get in a sticky situation to just drop your dally everything is fine....i could tie on if i wanted to since im a girl but i refuse to ...maybe heeling <but still doubt i would even then> but never heading..im sorry but the thought of tying on with a steer at the end of your rope and the possibility something could happen and tie you and your horse and the steer up and get one or ya hurt just aint worth it..id rather take the chance of losing a finger then my life..but thats MHO...and as far as the coming out left close to the chute..ya that would definately not working on the heel side cus then all you would do is push that steer to far over and make it cross over in front of your header taking up more time or completely blowing your run...and dont ruin your good calf horses..its hard to get em to the point your happy and to go ruin em aint worth it....as far as my horses i hopefully will end up making my mare my good heel horse that way my brother can heel off her since the horses he and his wife own are not quick enough and have the ability to rope, hes tried and its sad i end up having to lug the steer around half the arena before he is in place and thats with my horse crawling..it definately helps to have a good horse...i personally think my horse makes up at least 75% of my run if not more...I definately would be a much better roper if i had a little more solid of a horse..but then again I take pride in training my own animals and knowing that I aint just sittin on what money can buy.
~Heather~
Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Very true.I think the horse is at least 75% of the run if not more.I have roped on some average horses and the run just does not seem to get together as good.But I have also used some very high dollar horses and they just seem to make a run.Of course,its not the price that makes a horse.But you do get what you pay for.I don't really have the time to make my own horses,just enough time to tune on them.But they are expensive,my main calf horse is worth more than my truck.But you can't skimp on that if you are serious about roping.And,I think they are a great investment.As for team roping,I guess I will give it a try next year.Why not!Just on somebody else's horse!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:21 AM

I rope. We have an arena in my back yard, with lights, and keep about 6-8 steers year around. When its dry enough we practice 3 nights a week. My dad and brother head, and I heel. We dont do if for a living, just as a hobby. An expensive,time consuming, money hungry hobby.

I have 1 jamm-up heel horse, and 1 young mare that I am starting on heels. She is an excellent cow horse. She really looks at the steer, and is starting to score good. She will cheat me in the corner sometimes, but im working on that. My good heel horse is an "arena only" horse. He is scared to death of the pasture, but he is sooooo sweet on the heel end. He just turned 15, and is consistent on every run. You always get the same thing every run.

I have been roping hard for about a year now. We go to local jackpots, and TRA (Team Ropers Association) ropings. I am a #10 in the TRA which is the lowest number you can have. I think Im gonna get bumped this year though, because im not numbered where I should be. I guess Ill just work it as long as I can.

later.........
Phillip

Caleb, you gotta cowboy up son....Trevor Brazile didnt get where he is today by being scared of ripping his fingers off. He heads, heels, trips, and calf ropes. Hey man, im just kidding. I know how tough it is to feed 5 horses just because you wanna rope every event, and not screw up you good horses.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM

I am not really scared of team roping at all,I know I could do it fine.I just don't want to take anything away from my calf roping.I have a great desire to be really good and am always trying to improve my skills.I am afraid if I go to practice on another event I will not be as sharp in the event that I am really trying to excell at.Does that make sense?But to be a one event man in college rodeo you need to be pretty dang good at that one event or they don't want you.Or you can be pretty good at a few events and they will use you.I don't really want to be kinda good at something like that.I would rather be good at one event than OK at a couple of them.But we'll see,I don't think trying it will hurt anything.I might really like it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Team Ropers...How many we got??