Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Take a look at my drawing - Who has the right-of-way?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at my drawing - Who has the right-of-way?

Click on the thumbnail and it will make the regular-sized picture open in a new window.

First, explanation:

I am a person who tends to defend my position on the road. My position is my position and no one will move me from it unless of course they have the right to do so, or I am required to move from my position due to traffic laws.

At this intersection, there are oftentimes cars coming from the top making a left turn on to head down the road that is on the right. I am usually making a right turn at that intersection. We both have green CIRCLES, NOT arrows. When I take this turn, I cross the right lane and immediately get in the left lane because the right lane ends shortly down the road.

The cars making the left turn yield to the vehicles going straight across to the road on the top of the picture. So shouldn't they yield to me since I am making a right turn? I don't take a right turn from the lane that goes straight across since there is a dedicated lane that dumps you out on to the road on the right. There are NO yield signs when making the right turn.

Lately I have had people who would run in to me when I am making the right turn if I had not left MY position in the road and stayed in the right lane longer. I give myself room because I KNOW that this happens, but as it is happening I make it known that I feel that I have the right-of-way and that the minivan making the left turn should be slowing DOWN to let me execute my right turn at normal speed.

In my opinion, I should be able to make my right turn and cross the right lane into the left lane without a car barreling towards me who just took the left turn.

At the intersection that I (poorly) drew
Let me explain what is going on in the picture:

Traffic coming from the right and left side has a red light.

Traffic going from top to bottom have green lights. The car coming from the top does not have a green arrow, just a green light, as do I.

I am making a right turn on to the double lane road that will shortly merge down to one lane because the right lane ends.

Box5 is far behind me even though he has more HP than me, he also has 4.10 gearing and a 5spd. Just thought I would point that out .

SO

Should I be yielding to the people making the left turn? Or should I continue on my route? Since this is a 2 lane road do the people making the left turn have the right of way to the left lane, or do I because I am taking a right turn and they do not have an arrow? Should I be staying in the right lane until the left lane is clear for me to cross over in to or TECHNICALLY should I be able to go right across?

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks to me like the people making the left are already in the lane that you need to merge into.
You need to merge from the acceleration lane into the flow of traffic.

Why not simplify your drive and take a different route?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
DTR question asker

'Cause thats how I get home!

My house is on a road right off the road to the right in the picture... if that makes sense .

So even though they are making a left turn, they still have the right away since I am making a right turn and it is a 2-lane road?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
From your drawing, the left turn traffic is already in the lane that you have to merge into.
They should have the right of way.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say you both turn into your own lane, then you are the one merging so the thru traffic has the right of way.

Sorry.

phox
Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
DTR Mom

Wink Copy on that....

yep, Left turning traffic has the right of way, you are on an access curve to merge for the same direction....unless they are incredulously slow and small, like a Yugo.....have fun.

Heidi in NY still waiting to politely turn left....
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice drawing...

Gotta turn into your own lane then merge when safe..
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
DTR question asker

I had that suspicion. But the people that decide to come flying in to the right lane to pass the left-lane-turners at the last minute, THEY need to yield right?

(This is when we both have green lights).
Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM

You need to write city council and tell them they need a left on arrow only light there. That is a screwy intersection.

I vote that you have right of way going east, but will violate the law by changing lanes like you did. I'm not a cop or anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You are merging into their lane of traffic and must yield the right of way...

Unless of course it is a Thursday between the hours of 11 and 12 PM and you are wearing a pink flowery top and a mini skirt...in which case you need to STOP doing that!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 PM
DTR question asker

Alright that makes sense. Can you answer my second question about how the people turning left getting into the right lane that ends to quickly pass those in the left?

Do they have the right of way too or do I because they are crossing over the left lane to pass quickly?

The drawing doesn't help much, I really need to get some pictures of the intersection. Its horrible.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
I had that suspicion. But the people that decide to come flying in to the right lane to pass the left-lane-turners at the last minute, THEY need to yield right?

(This is when we both have green lights).
Correct.

When turning, you (or them for that matter) must turn into the lane nearest to you then merge if needed.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
Alright that makes sense. Can you answer my second question about how the people turning left getting into the right lane that ends to quickly pass those in the left?

Do they have the right of way too or do I because they are crossing over the left lane to pass quickly?

The drawing doesn't help much, I really need to get some pictures of the intersection. Its horrible.
At best anything they do in a lane they legally occupy would be a contibuting factor, the harmful event is the lane change. Just like on any crash report I write, my opinion. The important part is the $$$ part of the insurance claim. I'd guess from your drawing the ricer gets some new paint on your dime.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Basically you need to pass that easy merge lane and just take a right from the light, then you'll have the right of way I guess.

I think if you collided in your picture above it would be both of your faults. The ricer needs to yield IMO without the left turn arrow.
And you shouldn't change lanes within 100 feet of the intersection.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I have a similar turn on my way home, the person taking the left has the right of way. I have ran a few people off the road with that one.

Quick Reply: Take a look at my drawing - Who has the right-of-way?