Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stolen Truck Again almost

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those brake pedal steering wheel locks are not worth the money. It only takes 20 seconds to cut through a steering wheel with a hack saw. People don't realize that a steering wheel is 90% foam rubber with a little metal bar inside. I have taken so many reports on stolen vehicles that had the wheel lock it isn't even funny
Old 10-08-2005, 04:57 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkrukow
Sometimes its nice living in the middle of nowhere. If my truck is on my property I vary rarely even take the keys out of the ignition. My work car Ime not even sure the keys will come out. I have never removed them but it is such a junker that no one would want to risk getting caught over a $100 car. If I am just going into a gas station for a soda I wont even bother to shut the truck off. Sitting here reading abought all the crap most of ya have to put up with makes me wonder why you would even want to live in such a area.
Gotta agree with the sentiment here... I dont leave the keys in the ignition( very often) but dont lock it up very often either. Of course who would want my ole flatbed?
Apt complex's are natural targets for car thieves, they're too easy to access, peopel dont report suspicious persons often( no-one knows their neighbors) and theres always a good variety of targets to choose from.
Kinda like a crook-candy store.....
I dont think I could stand living in a big city with the problems you guys have to put up with....'course, y'all probably dont get coyotes killin yer dogs, or hawks taking the cats very often....

Last edited by Chrisreyn; 10-08-2005 at 04:58 AM. Reason: I cant spell!!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
'course, y'all probably dont get coyotes killin yer dogs, or hawks taking the cats very often....
Get better dogs and cats. We had a Lynx living on part our property when I was growing up and it got a few cats, but one lived for over 13 years. Parents just had to have her put down. As for dogs I 've had to bag coyotes up after they messed with some of our dogs. I would love to have that again as opposed to this mess.

Randy
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 PM

I live in Mesa/Gilbert (suburb of phoenix area).

I havent had any issues, yet. Although i know the trucks been stolen before (some damage next to door handle and i can take the key out of the ignition with it running).

Not much can really do. If someone wants your truck they will take it. One of the most popular thefts is with a fake tow truck. No one is the wiser, they just think youre truck is getting towed.. drag it onto a flatbed away it goes.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 PM

Sorry to here about your truck. My brother is moving to AZ from Ca. I did a bit of research last year on AZ thinking I might consider moving also, and it seems AZ has a real problem with vehicle theft from the statistics I have read. I dont understand, in a state where its legal to carry a pistol you would think thieves would be scared.

Dusty
Old 10-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Try ravelco systems the probable make the best ant-theft device, It is wired into the computer system of the truck, and you can have them mounted anywhere.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Originally Posted by bkrukow
Sometimes its nice living in the middle of nowhere. If my truck is on my property I vary rarely even take the keys out of the ignition. My work car Ime not even sure the keys will come out. I have never removed them but it is such a junker that no one would want to risk getting caught over a $100 car. If I am just going into a gas station for a soda I wont even bother to shut the truck off. Sitting here reading abought all the crap most of ya have to put up with makes me wonder why you would even want to live in such a area.

Gotta agree with the sentiment here... I dont leave the keys in the ignition( very often) but dont lock it up very often either. Of course who would want my ole flatbed?
Apt complex's are natural targets for car thieves, they're too easy to access, peopel dont report suspicious persons often( no-one knows their neighbors) and theres always a good variety of targets to choose from.
Kinda like a crook-candy store.....
I dont think I could stand living in a big city with the problems you guys have to put up with....'course, y'all probably dont get coyotes killin yer dogs, or hawks taking the cats very often....
I'm the same, I always pull my keys. Rarely gets locked. Even when I'm in town. At home my security system (composed of 2 Shepards and 1 Rott running loose) seems to take care of things. I also have security signs posted (1 "Beware of Dogs" and 1 "Beware of Dogs, Honk upon Arrival" sign) on my lane, they have a half mile to rethink things. I love the country. My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away cross country. Closest by road is a mile. It isn't as good as it used to be in the country, because of the growing Meth problem. But I'm not worried about thieves, My Snap-On box full of tools stayed unlocked in an unlocked shed for 8 years till I finally moved it into my garage.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DustyRock
Sorry to here about your truck. My brother is moving to AZ from Ca. I did a bit of research last year on AZ thinking I might consider moving also, and it seems AZ has a real problem with vehicle theft from the statistics I have read. I dont understand, in a state where its legal to carry a pistol you would think thieves would be scared.

Dusty
A lot has to do with the porus southern border. That is what they did with our last truck. IT made at least one run back and forth. The other part is you have to catch them. That is one reason I want a two way alarm. Both time I have been 150' away from my trucks in the apartment. Once was 1600-1900 on a Sunday. This one was 2200-0700. As I said before I would likly be in jail if I did catch them.

Randy
Old 10-10-2005, 11:00 AM

If this only happens when you are nearby (e.g. appartment complex, at work, etc. ) Then a security alarm will work nicely. Don't skimp, buy expensive preferably one with a pager system to notify you if someone bumps your truck with a car door. Then bring out the enforcer. With me that is a Mossburg 500.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Foster
If this only happens when you are nearby (e.g. appartment complex, at work, etc. ) Then a security alarm will work nicely. Don't skimp, buy expensive preferably one with a pager system to notify you if someone bumps your truck with a car door. Then bring out the enforcer. With me that is a Mossburg 500.

I am looking at a VIPER 791XV that is posted in another thread here. I looked at a couple of places today and one wanted $1100 for two vehicles. The next one down w/o remote start was $800. A little disappointing when the site the fellow member bought his from only wants $200 for the system. And the place is the HOME of the $1 install .

In AZ they have to have areasonable ability to kill you before you can shoot them. That is why you have to carry two guns down to the truck when the alarm goes off. One for them (empty) and one for you. How are you to know it is empty? BTW mine is a Beretta 96D with Tricon sites and Hydra-shock PP rounds.

Randy
Old 11-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Three and a half weeks later I finally got my truck back. I got so fed up with the crap I went to the Body shop supervisor. He was a great deal of help. It was suppose to be ready between 12 and 1. He called at 12:45 and said on the way back from detailing it started smoking and trying to die. I was thinking the VP fried from sitting with power on it until I found it broken in to. Well I went down and looked at the vehicle and it cranked very slow. Also my holley was not running. I jump across my relay and the pump ran. I told them I wanted batteries to start with and it could also be the relay or ECU. They got the insurance to cover OEM battery cost and I went and bought RED TOPS for $30 buck ea more($60 for red top isn't bad). It still didn't work. They acted all confused and I told just to give me a relay and we'll try that. I slapped that in and off she went. Starts like it did before and will make 23PSI(of boost, same as it did before). But it does seem to smoke more now. I'll pull codes tomorrow and see what I get but I am concerned.

Also and interesting issue; When we were looking things over we found the radio worked in all key positions. Even OFF. It was noted and I have an appointment for monday. What makes it more interesting is the fact that it started working properly a few hours later.

Other then it is screwed up does anyone have some thoughts?

Randy
Old 11-05-2005, 09:30 AM

How many miles did the thieves put on it? Hope they didn't put any GAS in the tank.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truckjunkie
I was just going to post this question as a new subject, but since this thread has already been started....

Have any of you installed a fuel or ignition kill switch in your trucks? One of my neighbors has had two different Ram 1500's stolen right out of his trucking company's employee lot. He's looking for one, and I'm thinking about one as well, though I don't know how differently they'd work for his Hemi vs. my CTD. Does anyone know of a vendor out there that sells these kits?

I thought I'd heard of one kit a while back that actually lets the thief steal the vehicle, and the fuel that's in the fuel line will let them get about a 1/2 mile or so, then the fuel in the fuel line is used up, and the car/truck stalls, more than likely in the middle of the street, where the thief then has to abandon it and make a quick getaway on foot. I realize that your car is now sitting in the middle of the street, but it is pretty conspicuous at that point, and would get some attention...

Any ideas / recommendations?
My dad and uncle had one on thier first generation Cummins, wired into the fuel shot off solenoid if I remember. But I don't know about our generation. Mine has the grey key with the security thing.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by tankeryanker
How many miles did the thieves put on it? Hope they didn't put any GAS in the tank.
0 miles. This scum is such a low form of life they aren't even competent thieves. The destroyed the ignition switch instead of just the lock cylinder. I walked up to the truck in the morning and found the window broke and heard the A/C fan running. What is worse is they did it to another white 2500 V-10 in the complex. They had two chances and couldn't get it done. They were able to coast the other one due to the way it was parked.

Randy