Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stolen Truck Again almost

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stolen Truck Again almost

Well,
4 months later and now our '99 has been broken into. They botched the ignition so bad they could not steal it. The fan was running and the RH ext cab window was laying on the ground. They tried to bust the lock out of the door like they did on the '00 but it did not work.

This SUCKS! I should have gotten the two way alarm installed. Then I might be in jail but... Also there was another white Dodge in the complex hit the same way. I'm going to go look at it now.

Randy
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

Man that sucks, sorry to hear about that!!! Those people should be drug behind a truck down a rocky road JERKS
Old 10-07-2005, 11:49 AM

I was just going to post this question as a new subject, but since this thread has already been started....

Have any of you installed a fuel or ignition kill switch in your trucks? One of my neighbors has had two different Ram 1500's stolen right out of his trucking company's employee lot. He's looking for one, and I'm thinking about one as well, though I don't know how differently they'd work for his Hemi vs. my CTD. Does anyone know of a vendor out there that sells these kits?

I thought I'd heard of one kit a while back that actually lets the thief steal the vehicle, and the fuel that's in the fuel line will let them get about a 1/2 mile or so, then the fuel in the fuel line is used up, and the car/truck stalls, more than likely in the middle of the street, where the thief then has to abandon it and make a quick getaway on foot. I realize that your car is now sitting in the middle of the street, but it is pretty conspicuous at that point, and would get some attention...

Any ideas / recommendations?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Man, that's really bad. What complex/area of town? I'm glad my truck fits in the garage (barely), but worry when I leave it parked in the girlfriend's driveway. Of course, I don't think the 1st Gen's are as much of a target, but I think I'll make my garage bigger before I buy a 2nd or 3rd Gen....
Old 10-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Brooks
Man, that's really bad. What complex/area of town? I'm glad my truck fits in the garage (barely), but worry when I leave it parked in the girlfriend's driveway. Of course, I don't think the 1st Gen's are as much of a target, but I think I'll make my garage bigger before I buy a 2nd or 3rd Gen....
Ouch.

You guys probably remember when my shiny regular cab long bed 4X4 03 48RE 3.73 was stolen on my first day of work when I moved to Phoenix. Had a 4" SS exhaust, Edge EZ, double deep trans pan, bed toolbox FULL of tools, B&W hitch, Jordan brake controller, my oakleys, digital cam, $300 prescription glasses, 2000 watt inverter, nice stereo, $400 CB radio, gauges, ... you get the idea.

On my new 01 truck, I installed a hidden manual fuel cut off valve. I definitely have started my truck, drove 3 blocks and then died, having forgotten to turn it off. Very embarassing and my poor injection pump is probably going to die even sooner from running dry so many times. Not sure this is the solution but I don't need to worry anymore... moved to New Jersey!

Otherwise I'm not sure what else you can do. Hook up a hidden switch to your clutch if it's a manual. Wonder if the whole "lo jack" stuff is worth it but I feel like by the time they are gone, they're probably in MX.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Just replace the lift pump fuse with a bad lift pump fuse and forget about it. It aint going anywhere. Or you could pop the hood and pull the TPS, leaving it hidden behind the throttle control where you cant see it disconnected. They will get no where with that one but they can start the truck.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Since our '00 was stolen I have been pulling the Starter relay and the engine fuse. Also I pull the brake light fuse so if the do swap relays they will get pulled over for no brake lights.

Dan, I live in Oro Vally. Just north of Magee on Oracle. Although I was going to drive to PHX this morning to get atrailer to help us move to a new complex at Thorneydale and North of Cortero. Do you know of any places to get the work done? It will need the window, the column repaired and two new batteries (thinking red tops).

I forgot to mention before there was another white 4x4 V10 that was hit the same way. They managed to get it to coast a few hundred feet. I talked to the lady that owns it and she is moving to. I don't know if it is the easy acces to Oracle that makes this place hot or what.

Randy
Old 10-07-2005, 04:10 PM

I think the easy access probably has a little to do with it, but any large apartment complex is going to have problems. We had a car stolen out of our caport years ago, and someone punched the door lock on my dad's Dakota last year while they were visiting, so it even happens in decent residential neighborhoods.

Unless you can keep it in the garage or have an armed guard standing nearby at all times, all you can do is make it more difficult for them to steal so they'll move on to easier prey. I like the idea of pulling the brake light fuse, but you still have to rely on an observant officer getting behind the truck.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
I had an imobalizer dealer installed before I picked up my new truck. Now even if they rip out the ignition switch they can't start the truck. So far, touch wood, (reachinguptotouchmywooden head) nobody has tried to steal my truck. I have caught myself a few times when I jump in and wonder why it will not turn over, then remember the activated immobalizer.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes its nice living in the middle of nowhere. If my truck is on my property I vary rarely even take the keys out of the ignition. My work car Ime not even sure the keys will come out. I have never removed them but it is such a junker that no one would want to risk getting caught over a $100 car. If I am just going into a gas station for a soda I wont even bother to shut the truck off. Sitting here reading abought all the crap most of ya have to put up with makes me wonder why you would even want to live in such a area. Personaly I HATE people(large crowds). My brother-in-law just told us he is moving to New York city to work for New York Life and I said have fun wont be seeing me there. My wife and her parents thought that I should go with them next summer on vacation to New York to see him. I bluntly told them not a chance. If he wants to see me he can come home. I will never set foot in that city especaly to call it a vacation.

Maybey the corn feild behind the house isent such a bad neighbor.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I believe in the 24V trucks (98.5 to 02) pulling fuse #9 in the power distribution box under the hood will effectively disable the truck.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about one of those motorcycle shiney steel cable/shielded padlock kits around the brake pedal a coupla times then through the steering wheel? If I was gonna steal something, I'd want to make a quick clean get away, not stand around trying to cut through cable with some bolt cutters.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
How about a couple of slightly used targets to use as "Sunshades"?

Might make them think twice..........
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I believe in the 24V trucks (98.5 to 02) pulling fuse #9 in the power distribution box under the hood will effectively disable the truck.

I have started doinng that since June when our '00 was stolen and totaled. It does not stop them from destroying the ignition thourgh.

Shovelhead,
I like that idea. I'll have to go make some tomorrow.

Randy
Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 PM

Electric fence tape under the door handles..... they will always try to open the door first. one good shock to knock them to the ground should work..... only problem is making sure you have it off before you open the door.

Quick Reply: Stolen Truck Again almost