Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Spring is Still around the corner broken room

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Spring is Still around the corner broken room

Old 02-28-2016, 10:00 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Thanks Scotty. Where is the coffee?

Good morning from a cool, damp Paradise. Yesterday it suddenly cooled off considerably, but still a shorts day. Around 5:40 this morning we had a short (20 seconds) shower with a noisy light show. Just enough rain to rearrange all the evenly spread dust on my vehicles into unsightly blotches. Now I need to wash everything. The forecast is for a nice warm day.

Cougar, you are not getting too many breaks lately, are you? Speaking of breaks, how is your broken bone doing?

Anybody here have a birthday tomorrow? Do you feel cheated? Presents and cake only every 4 years.

Just finished a bowl of Canadian made Caramel Pecan Rapture ice cream. Man, was that tasty!

There used to be a bunch of old steam train enthusiasts on this forum. Not sure who is here anymore, but here is something for you; Flying Scotsman steam train puffs again, thrilling enthusiasts

Read something earlier this morning that is very sad. The new America;
Logic is dead. Excellence is punished. Mediocrity is rewarded. And dependency is to be revered.
This is present day America.

When people rob banks they go to prison. When they rob the taxpayer they get re-elected.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I always lay out a spread but this time Lary did it from the other break room.
Its from cRaCkEr bARrEL
Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm one of the steam train guys. Thanks Stan!

Just took DW to get lunch. We took the old Magnum. 50 mph wind gusts and sloppy steering makes for an interesting drive. Glad I'm home. Guess I'll be ordering parts.....

Last edited by sherod; 02-28-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 02-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
When I was a kid in St. Cloud, MN, I used to go to the roundhouse steam service service shop about a mile from my house and peek through the knot holes to watch the men work on the engines.

That was in the '50's, and the diesel electric locomotive had yet to take over the railroads. The only "streamlined" (diesel electric) train I remember was the Great Northern Empire Builder, which also ran through St. Cloud.

When I went to my uncle's farm in the summer, all the trains on the local track were steam powered. We used to go to a little wooden bridge over the tracks to enjoy the sulfurous black smoke they put out. The engineer would always blow the whistle and wave as the train went by.

By the time I graduated from high school, most of the steam engines were gone.

The biggest trouble the steam engines had was breaking traction when starting out. They had unbelievable torque. The biggest advantage of the diesel-electric engines is that they delivered power to every wheel on the locomotive, giving them much more traction for their weight.

Yes, I am a little long in tooth.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:16 PM

I have been playing with the idea of making a steam whistle. Couple of guys here have gave me input. I live on the highest hill in the county. If I build one, EVERYONE will enjoy it......
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

...... BUT ................ will your wife enjoy it???????????????

Spring must be sprung according to the ants. I fight ants all year, but come spring time when all the new leaves start coming out, so do the the leaf cutter ants. They love to make long highways through my lawn to whatever tree or plant they select. The grass does not easily grow back over these highways, which sometimes can be an unsightly 1" wide. If I am not on top of the situation, they can totally strip a small tree overnight. Yesterday I was on the attack as millions of these ants were not only making a new highway through my lawn, but also had a highway up a huge tree and were bringing down a continuous stream of pieces of new, bright green leaves.

It's been a nice day here. A bit breezy at times, but still a nice temperature of 27c. When are you backwards 'Merkins going to start using your official measuring system - metric?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
I have been playing with the idea of making a steam whistle. Couple of guys here have gave me input. I live on the highest hill in the county. If I build one, EVERYONE will enjoy it......
I will build one too and signal you from my hilltop....wow our neighbors will love us
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
It's been a nice day here. A bit breezy at times, but still a nice temperature of 27c. When are you backwards 'Merkins going to start using your official measuring system - metric?
When he!! goes below 32°
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
When he!! goes below 32°

Awwwww, c'mon, it is soooooo easy to use. You use 32 for freezing and 212 for boiling water. Isn't 0 and 100 so much easier?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Awwwww, c'mon, it is soooooo easy to use. You use 32 for freezing and 212 for boiling water. Isn't 0 and 100 so much easier?
Actually, I get a kick out of the foolishness about this.

One fun one was the first dual system speed limit signs, 60 MPH - 96.6 KPH.

The reluctance to cleanly cut over is downright frustrating, for instance my truck has both metric and US standard fasteners on it.

Some fun to be had. My young daughter was looking over my shoulder and nagging me when driving one night. I reached down and hit the US/metric button on the speedometer at a stop sign and floored it. As she was having a kitten at 95, I backed off, and reached down and hit the button again.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Admin Team Leader

Good Morning DTROnians...Fresh Coffee and Phoo with breakfast burritos in Stans honor come and get them!
Old 02-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
When he!! goes below 32°
Amen, can I get a Hallelujah!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

Coffee is on, Phoo is too...Krispy Kreme Donuts on the counter, Have at em!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:58 PM

The Cop Shop ate them all! Fooey on ya!

Met my new guy today. I mentioned him last week, said he displayed work brickle as my Grandpa used to say. I hope I made a good choice, but I do believe I have.

One more day to say, "I like my job!"

(Tomorrow not so much, tons of paperwork!)

Quick Reply: Spring is Still around the corner broken room