Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Speeding troopers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other points I can see, although 3 and 4 strike me as overstated. But I've always been on the other side of the badge.

But for #1, I would think sirens would cause criminals to remove themselves from the dangerous situation much more often than it would cause them to go on a rampage. No?

I'm not taking a stand, I don't care if the law is followed or not. But the law does say that to speed you must use your lights and sirens, and the acceptance that laws must be broke to effectively enforce the law brings great swells of euphoria into my felon's heart.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
An interesting theory but as the speed of sound is (according to Wikipedia):

At sea level, at a temperature of 21 °C (70 °F) and under normal atmospheric conditions, the speed of sound is 344 m/s (1238 km/h, or 769 mph, or 1128 ft/s or 661.5 kt).

I think you need to be going a little faster that 80 MPH to be hidden in the "bubble" of sound. If we assume the speed of sound is 769 MPH and you subtract 80 from that for the speed of the car, the sound will still be travelling 689 MPH faster that than the car. You should be able to hear this a little bit before the car is close to you. Not trying to start an argument it's just that I don't see that as being a valid excuse. If emergency vehicles are speeding they should have their lights and/or sirens on.
Actually at 40mph the sound of the siren can be heard from 300 feet away and when speed is increased to 50mph the distance a siren can be heard drops to 12 ft. I know that is very significant drop in distance and difficult to believe but I literally just took a state run driver/operator driving course yesterday and these are the facts. My department recommends when traveling at highway speeds and the flow of traffic is going faster than you (fire trucks top out usually between 65-75) to turn off siren as it could cause a motorist to become startled and have an accident. Just let the LEO's do their job and be glad they are there for you.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselKnuckles
The other points I can see, although 3 and 4 strike me as overstated. But I've always been on the other side of the badge.

But for #1, I would think sirens would cause criminals to remove themselves from the dangerous situation much more often than it would cause them to go on a rampage. No?

I'm not taking a stand, I don't care if the law is followed or not. But the law does say that to speed you must use your lights and sirens, and the acceptance that laws must be broke to effectively enforce the law brings great swells of euphoria into my felon's heart.
Well, I'm by no means a boot licker but as you drive your 5-10mph over the speed limit I'm sure cops can approach certain situations without sirens or lights!

It's all about getting the job done without taking advantage of the leverage given... When they take advantage of that leverage it bothers me a little bit.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 AM

I was just giving my personal experience and relaying also what I have learned. Others can feel free to correct me, Im certainly no expert.

Originally Posted by DieselKnuckles
I hope that my point came across that I have the utmost respect for the LEOs, but there are a few situations where liberties are taken that perhaps could be best left untaken (and please dont twist that into anything its not). If that came across as "hates cops" then I might have not conveyed my point appropriately. Therefore, Im going to bow out of this discussion.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....THEODORE ROOSEVELT.....
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood...."Citizenship in a Republic," Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Old 07-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Muted User

i lost respect for cops the day they told me it was my problem if i was shot in my own home by a poacher. i dont care what anyone else says, what if your wife or kid walked outside and was shot between the eyes and they cops said oh well its not their problem..............how far would that go with you.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well to get back on topic about the speeding troopers.
Over here the legal situation is a good bit different to the US, but anyways I think that driving with one eye to the mirror solves most of the problems.
Over here we have a rule that says " Principle of trust"- Meaning that you can trust everyone to adhere to the rules of traffic unless he/she is member of one of the groups specifically exempt from that trust. (EG Children, blind people, visibly drunk or under influence, etc)
My driving teachers told me that in real life you must also add any vehicle from a police org., fire department and ambulances to the exempt group.
The drivers of said vehicles are often under severe stress, may have reasons to not turning on their lights, sirens or whatever, but if you leave them the space to maneuver their vehicles as they want you will get out of the situation without troubles.
One group of people exempt from trust is people who do visibly not adhere to the traffic rules. This means that over here if you see somebody speeding you can not suppose that he'll reduce speed simply because you are there.

I try to follow these rules, and couldn't care less whether the guy speeding has a light bar on his roof or not or whether it's lit or not. If I see him speeding I try to act as if he was on heroine or LSD, giving him space to move and get rid of his presence.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 AM

i hate state patrol and most city cops, there is probably 2 or 3 sheriffs i like in the whole county, the rest i hate.
I have an idea for you Logan:
If someone is breaking into your house, don't call the cops. Try a plumber or the local highway department.
Someone steals your truck? Call the better business bureau.
Someone rapes and kills your wife? Tell it to the kid at the McDonalds drive thru.

No one is forcing you to like the cops and no one is forcing you to call them either. Oh wait, you like them when you need them, otherwise you hate them, right?

Grow up.

Zipping up the flame suit......

Steve
Old 07-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Grab a chair...
First, although yes an "emergency vehicle" has to be going to an "emergency" ti "disregard" the vehicle code "without endangering the public" and a police car is an "emergency vehicle". But also, if you look deeper, you may find a law in your state, such as Michigan's that says a "Police officer" may "disregard" the vehicle code, "when enforceing the law, so as not to enganger the public". I hadn't commented on the other issues, because with thousands of people doing the job, many do make mistakes and SOME do get agressive.

In the state police academy, they grouped us in civilian cars and patrol cars and took us out on the freeway. When we rode in the civilian car we were to not look behind us and just raise our hands when we could here the siren. When we were in the patrol car, we could see how close we were when the others raised their hands. This was to teach us not to trust the emergency equipment to protect us. When the hands went up, the patrol car front bumper was always right on the back bumper (next lane over) of the civilian car. Everybody would about break their neck when surprised by the patrol car blasting by them so soon. Then add people listening to radios, etc...

A few years ago, we sent my ex-fiance to a roll over on the south end of the county, from the north side, only way to go was through the city of Grand Rapids (2nd largest in the state after Detroit). It was shift change and she was the closest (keep this in mind for your next thread on why you waited so long for an officer to get to your complaint). It was raining. Comeing through the US 131 S-curve, 4 lanes of curvy cement walls with no shoulder and left and right exit/entrance ramps, a lady in front was surpised by the lights and locked it up in the LEFT lane and stopped. Karen grabbed her mic. and thought she was screaming over the intercom at her to move the car over, but in the stress turned the dial too far and was blasting it over the radio as she was watching a semi jackknife behind her. Thank god the truck driver got it over and straight, and the lady finally moved before the line of cars that had previously pulled over came around the bend (and you know they'd be trying to make up lost time for stopping) to find a road block. I've had people in front of me lock the brakes in panic, when I was behind them WITHOUT lights on, and not even concerned with the person. On the other hand, you've all been out in the country/suburbs and have heard sirens 4-5 miles away because it's quiet. MOST criminal calls are gonna get a silent response. If it's dangerous or in progress, yes they will be "speeding". Probably the main time an officer would bend the rules is to get to court because somebody at a crash or some other call wanted complain a little longer than necessary. He doesn't want to miss court (required to attend) and create animossity between the dept and the judge, much less let his hard work and time on the case/ticket go down the drain in a waste of your tax dollar.

As for speeding during speed enforcement... it's easier and more prudent to let them come to you, than you go to them. It's easier to catch speeders when doing the speed limitthen exceeding it. If you're speeding it's a lot harder to get the car stopped and turned around on somebody. Radars are also finicky and a good stretch of road that supports radar conditions isn't always easy to come by. You don't want to speed through the area, you want to get full use of it. So, you won't see most officers "speeding" while running radar. They're probably doing something else. There are also times an officer may be trying to gat a pace either in fron or behind and be speeding, but may decide the car isn't quite over his threshold or he just isn't able to ascertain the speed that time? Who knows? So what?! As for driving slow... a lot of people call in to report stuff they misinterpret or don't give a good location. We get tons of calls for "a car in the ditch" or "a car stopped and somebody is slumped over the wheel". The officer is gonna go slow so he doesn't miss it or blast by it. Alot of the time it's long gone, because it isn't what was reported ,but you don't know and don't want somebody else to get called to a dead body that YOU missed. That's only ONE example.

As for calling 911 to complain... good luck! I seriously doubt anybody was made multiple officer complaints successfully on a 911 line. If so, it's a fluke. At best, you'd be given a non-emergency number to make a report and hung up on (tactfully disconnected). A 2nd call to make your point and then complain on the lack of service by the dispatcher gets you a court date as you've already been advised on the non-emergency procedure.

Yes, blatant, reckless acts by an officer should be properly reported. They do happen. You're not gonna be privy to all that's going on in the car or over the radio, so before you waste my and your tax dollar (especially mine) tying up a supervisor and officer and operator with penny-anti "stuff", count to 10 and move on. Be glad you saw one out there, becuse they're quite thin ly staffed these days. The guy makeing the error might be blowing in your mouth returning your valuables or even changing your tire tomorrow. Now, about those lawyers....
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by LOGAN
i lost respect for cops the day they told me it was my problem if i was shot in my own home by a poacher. i dont care what anyone else says, what if your wife or kid walked outside and was shot between the eyes and they cops said oh well its not their problem..............how far would that go with you.
I hate to comment without knowing the entire situation, but that's wrong, and if it was a single officer that told you that (in context), then a complaint would be encouraged.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Muted User

i had guns stolen, they wouldnt even come out to take a report, you know guns, those things people kill other people with and rob places with, if something happened, the police would of been here trying to arrest me if it was used to commit a crime even though i reported it, oh wait they didnt take a report.

the shooting at the house was happening alot, you wouldn't think that would be a problem would ya, wrong, they stand in the road and shoot at my house. if they would of missed the deer, IT WOULD OF HIT MY HOUSE, PERIOD. when they finally did catch one of the guys, they arrested him for poaching, nothing else, cause you know shooting a deer is alot worse than killing a human. anyone care if i come over and shoot at their house tonite???? most seem not to care if people do.

couple girls that were here with my buddy one nite stole over 2,000 dollars in jewelry from my mom, all of them had previous records, hell the sheriff knew them by name and address, GUESS WHAT, that did nothing, refused to press charges or arrest them.

I have an idea for you Logan:
If someone is breaking into your house, don't call the cops. Try a plumber or the local highway department.
Someone steals your truck? Call the better business bureau.
Someone rapes and kills your wife? Tell it to the kid at the McDonalds drive thru.
i would probably get farther with those people, i called them and they did nothing, so why should i like them. if someone breaks into my house i will deal with it. we had a girl raped and killed several years ago and if it werent for the FBI the sheriff would of never found her body. if you get a vehicle stolen in highland county it is gone, i have 2 friends that have had vehicles stolen, guess what, NOTHING. they do not care. another thing, wait til some crackhead tries to sell your kids drugs on the street corner next to the school, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT????? cause the cops do nothing.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redleg
Grab a chair...
I've refrained from posting in this thread because I don't want to offend anyone, (yeahI know, 'that's a switch'!), but Don brings up some excellent points that should be listened to with an open mind!

Now with that said, let me add something if I may. I was a police officer for quite a few years before I decided to switch my priorities and concentrate more on the fire side of public service. If I'd had exposure to the more professional people in law enforcement, such as I've seen here in the Michigan S.P., I might have stayed with it instead of making the switch. What I'm saying is that I think there is a vast difference in the way ALL law enforcement personnel may present themselves from different parts of the country. In Mass, (where I was an officer), a LOT of the officers act like Logan or MCMLV have related to us. On my department alone, I can think of at least 8 officers who will get in the left lane and put the pedal to the floor to go get a coffee, just because 'they can'. They seem to have a feeling of superiority over the rest of the general public. When I was working with these individuals, I always tried to dissuade this behavior. Because I was almost always senior to them, I was able to curtail that activity while I was with them, but I'd see them continuing it when they didn't think I was around or looking. Discussions with the Chief resulted in no action other than a gentle 'talking to', so as not to 'break their spirit'.

This is a pretty common problem in the area of the country that I come from. And not just from one agency or department either. It's multi-statewide. Until I came out here to Michigan, I was pretty much under the assumption that this is the way law enforcement personnel conducted business. Now that I've broadened my vision a bit and have seen that this is NOT the way it is everywhere, I find myself regretting that I didn't get out a bit more in my younger days and find out what REAL law enforcement agencies were like. If I had done that, it very well might have become my career.

So I guess the point of my rambling here is to say that not ALL LEO's are in the same group, and there ARE a lot of good officers out there. It's just hard to tell who is who sometimes unfortunately.

chaikwa.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 AM

That's why I like multiple agencies. There is competition. In Ohio, the state is "highway patrol" so you're stuck with the sheriff I assume. I'm sure it doesn't happen everywhere, but with no competitiom, there aren't checks and balances. Plus, the sheriff is a politition which can create it's own issues. Up here the state police are full service outside the metro areas. You could get either a troop or a deputy on a call. We work together a lot, but there is still a competition which benefits productivity. Especially when a given county is a small dept., with limited training and experience. Generally a trooper works in more than one county in his post area and maybe many through a career, so they get familier with many agencies and jurisdictions. Also, most counties and cities for that matter take initial complaints and turn the more complicated stuff over to a detective so they stay available for patrol. Troopers here generally process their own work the entire way through. I stopped into one county dispatch/jail for q quick break one night, and the disaptcher/turnkey handed me three CSC/Rape cases they took an initial statement on earlier in the day. That was the day I found out as policy, they didn't handle those and always turned them over to us. Sometimes they don't have supervisor available rely on us for guidence. At times you may even get a prosecutor that needs a little guidence on handleing a case (another elected official). But at times we have guys here too, that will readily turn something over to the county to get out of work. maybe ringing my own bell a bit, I'll go refill my coffee while I wait for your warrant to arrest me for hijacking the thread now.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I've refrained from posting in this thread because I don't want to offend anyone, (yeahI know, 'that's a switch'!), but Don brings up some excellent points that should be listened to with an open mind!

Now with that said, let me add something if I may. I was a police officer for quite a few years before I decided to switch my priorities and concentrate more on the fire side of public service. If I'd had exposure to the more professional people in law enforcement, such as I've seen here in the Michigan S.P., I might have stayed with it instead of making the switch. What I'm saying is that I think there is a vast difference in the way ALL law enforcement personnel may present themselves from different parts of the country. In Mass, (where I was an officer), a LOT of the officers act like Logan or MCMLV have related to us. On my department alone, I can think of at least 8 officers who will get in the left lane and put the pedal to the floor to go get a coffee, just because 'they can'. They seem to have a feeling of superiority over the rest of the general public. When I was working with these individuals, I always tried to dissuade this behavior. Because I was almost always senior to them, I was able to curtail that activity while I was with them, but I'd see them continuing it when they didn't think I was around or looking. Discussions with the Chief resulted in no action other than a gentle 'talking to', so as not to 'break their spirit'.

This is a pretty common problem in the area of the country that I come from. And not just from one agency or department either. It's multi-statewide. Until I came out here to Michigan, I was pretty much under the assumption that this is the way law enforcement personnel conducted business. Now that I've broadened my vision a bit and have seen that this is NOT the way it is everywhere, I find myself regretting that I didn't get out a bit more in my younger days and find out what REAL law enforcement agencies were like. If I had done that, it very well might have become my career.

So I guess the point of my rambling here is to say that not ALL LEO's are in the same group, and there ARE a lot of good officers out there. It's just hard to tell who is who sometimes unfortunately.

chaikwa.
Come to think of it Scott, this stands with my reasoning. My understanding of a couple of eastern states is that most counties do not handle the traditional police work. They concetrate on jails, courts and civil process. So maybe a little competition would benefit that side too? We have problems, don't get me wrong, I just think it gets reduced ssubstantially with diversity.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:58 AM

I have also noticed a lot of them don't use their seat belt. Doesn't the law aply to them also?

Quick Reply: Speeding troopers