Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

To spank or not to spank

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Spare the rod, spoil the child. I would never spank in public but buddy when I got home they would get it. That is what happened to me a couple of times. The wait until I got home was murder as I remember it. Spank on the tail of coarse, no pulling down paints or any of that belittleing stuff and never spank when angry. Kids won't learn anything from that.

Can't help it but I hate going out to eat and have to sit near some unruly children. I only got to go out to eat for very special things and low and behold if I acted up which never happened. I was just so glad to get to go.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The belt is pretty intimidating. I always got a few licks from it but not enuff to make not be able to sit down for a week. Discipline is key. But if any one ever says anything to me about the way I raise my child might get the full furry of the belt! I always dreaded having to get my own "hickory" to get spanked with. Now thats intimidation
Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
i think the belt builds the suspense up. it gives you a few more moments to think about what you did while the belt is being pulled thru the loops. and we all the know sound too!!
Reminds me of when my Grand Parents would make me go get a switch. " . . and I don't mean a little one!"
Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Reminds me of when my Grand Parents would make me go get a switch. " . . and I don't mean a little one!"
Amen on that one, started crying before I even got out the door.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

This is actually a very good topic and one that my wife and I have spoken about at length. I personally don’t see anything wrong with spanking as long as it is used in moderation and under the right circumstances. We only “spank” (if you could even call it that) our daughter when she is really acting up i.e.: not minding anything that we are telling her to do etc..... I personally have mixed emotions about spanking (don’t get me wrong, I still believe in it). If my daughter is doing something that may harm her health and well being and we have told her numerous times not to do so then you can expect a spanking to occur. But to spank every time that she does anything wrong.... I’m personally against that. To me, if you spank constantly, it teaches a child that you have to hit to get the response that you want, so spanking has to be used under the right circumstances.

I have to say though.... When I do have to spank my daughter, it is absolutely the worst thing that I could possibly do. I remember my parents saying “this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you” and thinking how could that be?????? Now I know... After I pop my daughter on the behind and she starts to squall, I have to leave the room and almost cry. It is absolutely the worst feeling in the world.

Besides.... could you spank this?????

Now that said..... when I was a child my Mom used to wear me out pretty often and I pretty much deserved it. But I was usually doing something that would have killed me.

Britt

Old 04-03-2007, 08:10 PM

1..........................2...................... ...spank!!

And for purdy women? They just have to ask!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 PM

Spank!!! Parents that do not believe in spanking should be beat.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by BC847
My grandma would get a mamosa branch that started out about the size of a pencil (maybe a bit bigger) and tapper down to nothing. Man that would get your attention...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I was 'spanked' when I was a kid, and it seemed to have worked for me. My kids get it. I am often told that my kids are some of the most well behaved children that they have ever met. Some ask me why, and I tell them. Some parrents have asked my wife and I to take their kids and fix them. I tell them that they may not like it, and they'll have to sign a waiver...

My mom beat me with various objects. What ever I did, I gar-on-tee that I never did that crap again...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Well I know that I was spanked as a child and what little discipline I did lack the Marine Corps brought up to snuff My mother used an array of "weapons"; her unfinished leather belt known as the strap, a dress belt with some silver studs of sorts (for when I really messed up and dad wasn't home), and a flyswatter for in the car. Father normally used the belt around his waist when he spanked. Though I remember being drug across the yard by my hair once, for what I don't recall. Got backhanded once in the chest for being a sissy about needles (had some really horrible previous experiences). Then when I almost lit the entire forest, our farm and surrounding farms on fire with a campfire that I was told NOT to start I got the "this is gonna hurt me more than it is you" speech just before being bent over a gate and whacked with a 3" wide leather belt with steel eyelets for pregnant cows.......

Anyways, I am sure glad I found a woman that is all for spanking and real consequences for bad behavior.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM

A good swat on the back side did nothing detrimental to me.I always hated going to church, not because it was very boring but I knew I'd usually do something during the church service that warranted a paddling at home or even in the restroom during church
Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Not only do we share the obvious interest in the trucks... but also the same values. Quite the online community.

Here is our script...

Tell them they have crossed the line and are going to get a spanking. Tell them to go up to their room and wait for you (suspense drives the reflection). Tell them that if they lie down on your knee they get 3 smacks with the belt and if you have to force them they get four. Shows them that there are consequences for their open rebellion. That they have a price to pay and that they must submit to their punishment. Tell them why you are doing it, smack x3 and ask them why they got punished. Tell them it ends here and they have paid their debt/punishment in full. When you leave the bedroom they are fully reinstated as a member of the family and that their is no further punishment..
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you Britt. I was spanked as a kid. And when I have kids, they will be spanked. It is a simple form of discipline, fact is; the kid will get it. I'm sick of the you know who crowd taking away parents liberties to discipline their children...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by t-15 firefighter
Besides.... could you spank this?????

Awww, there is no way I could.

Reminds me of the Bucky Covington song that just came out. It's called "A Different World" and it's about how times have changed since back in the day....one of the lines says "we got daddy's belt when we misbehaved"

I am about to have my first in August, I don't know if I will ever spank my child. I want to say no. Not because it's violent, but I believe that there are different ways to discipline a child without causing them physical pain. Ask any person "would you ever cause your child any physical pain?" and I bet all of them say no. Why should gettning a belt across the butt be any different? It's still physically painful for a child or anyone for that matter.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 PM

I was raised with a few swats from the hand now and then, did not hurt me, but I DID get the message. I raised my children with the same level of discipline when needed, did not hurt them. They are now raising their children the same way too, not hurting them either. We ALL need to know where the boundaries are, that is just the ultimate end of the testing.

I would MUCH MORE RATHER SEE someone taking care of the problem, right on the spot, than listen to or have to put up with the disruption. I would also rather listen to a few honestly gained cries than whining and throwing temper tantroms.

Today, if your child gets in trouble, YOU are fined by the courts no your child. The reason YOU are fined is because it is the opinion of the courts that YOU CREATED the child/public nuisance/criminal and YOU should have to pay. What a concept/revelation that YOU are ultimately responsible until they reach adulthood.

My Son was a child that tested you at his/your every turn. He got away with all kinds of stuff at school BECAUSE the school has no power, gave it up to the rediculous whims of the mother-mothers, socker mom's, PTA, etc. I got called into the school only once regarding his behavior. After the Principal told me what things were all about, I asked him why it was that I had to be called into the school - his reply was that they could not discipline him enough to get him to behave. He literally blew them off. I remarked that I had signed the form that gave them the priviledge of paddling him, why did they not do that? His reply was that the form was only a 'tool of persuasion' and they no longer paddled. Their tool of persuasion did not work, can't bribe the kids today with that nonsense. So, I then called my Son into his office and paddled his posterior with the 'retired paddle' that was hanging on the wall. It was the first time something other than my hand hit his butt and he really did not expect me to do what I did. That ended my being called to school again. Now I don't know if he ever got paddled by the Principal after that incident or not. When my Son quit crying, he was told to return to his classroom. I then, privately told the Principal that if he did not live up to the 'letter' of expectation and spank my Son, I would be very happy to return to the school for whatever the next problem entailed, first I would WATCH him spank my child, and then afterwards I would spank him for bothering me with something HE should be handling.

I never really had any more problems with my Son after that incident. I guess he got the message about me coming to school. Also, as a result of my having to go to the school his further punishment that I inflicted was "community service", that was composed of 40 hours of yardwork, weed pulling, whatever that some elderly neighbor might have needed. I had tons of elderly neighbors and throughout several years he did his share of community service. They worked him like an illegal alien.

CD

Quick Reply: To spank or not to spank