Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Something I miss about Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something I miss about Canada...

Kind of funny, but Tim Horton's! My wife and I had no idea what they were, so we went to one, and they were good. If you haven't been to one it's like a Dunkin Donuts/McDonalds/Coffee Shop, I guess. Either way, the breakfast sandwiches were awesome, the biscuit they came on was awesome. It's late and I am hungry and not anywhere near a Tim Horton.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 AM

I thought you were going to say the little vinegar packets they offer with the french fries

Whenever I got the late-night munchies, it usually boiled down to two choices: Denny's was always open, as was another family-style diner at the corner of Old Steese and Illinois, about 5 minutes drive from the main gate. At least, they were 6 years ago when I ate there every other week or so.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen to that
I had never heard of them until a few years ago we went home to Erie PA and about 4 or 5 of them had sprouted up there. Their coffee and bagels are really good and not ridiculously priced like Starbucks.
First thing we said when we got back to Texas: "Man, I miss Tim Horton's"

~Rob
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Amen to that
I had never heard of them until a few years ago we went home to Erie PA and about 4 or 5 of them had sprouted up there. Their coffee and bagels are really good and not ridiculously priced like Starbucks.
First thing we said when we got back to Texas: "Man, I miss Tim Horton's"

~Rob
So they also are in the US? Nice.

Adminak, sadly the Denny's is further down airport, nearing peger.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Not sure if this is still true, but years ago Tim Horton's (Tim's as the Canucks call it) used to not allow any coffee to be sold that was more than 20 minutes old. Or was it 40 minutes? Don't remember, but do remember that they always had fresh coffee and have watched them pour out an almost full container of coffee to make a new batch.
The soup and sandwich lunches are great. They make the bread on site and cut very thick slices.
Introduced my wife to Tim's a few years ago and now whenever we go to Canada that is one of the first places she wants to stop at.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:22 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Adaminak

Whenever I got the late-night munchies, it usually boiled down to two choices: Denny's was always open, as was another family-style diner at the corner of Old Steese and Illinois, about 5 minutes drive from the main gate. At least, they were 6 years ago when I ate there every other week or so.
Jeffrey's is now a car wash. Whoda thought of that conversion......

Originally Posted by 13ALPHA

Adminak, sadly the Denny's is further down airport, nearing peger.
If you ar looking for a decent breakfast sandwich try the Sunrise Bagel/expresso stands. Decent food and coffee and they are all over the place nowadays.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Not sure if this is still true, but years ago Tim Horton's (Tim's as the Canucks call it) used to not allow any coffee to be sold that was more than 20 minutes old. Or was it 40 minutes? Don't remember, but do remember that they always had fresh coffee and have watched them pour out an almost full container of coffee to make a new batch.
The soup and sandwich lunches are great. They make the bread on site and cut very thick slices.
Introduced my wife to Tim's a few years ago and now whenever we go to Canada that is one of the first places she wants to stop at.
One of their latest ads on TV is about how fresh the coffee is...its either 10 or twenty minutes. Commercial shows clerks writing the time it was brewed on the Phoo00 pots.
I prefer Tims coffee over that high priced smells burnt cheap bean Starclucks stuff.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup.. As a true Albertan, I know every town in the province with a Timmies and will frequent as much as my guts will let me. And it is every 20 minutes for a pot. The Starbucks in our town is a desolate parking space in the corner of the Canadian Tire lot. A few Expensive SUV's cruise through, but down the block there is a 15 car lineup in the Drive Thru at Timmies.

Glad you enjoyed your trip through! LOL..
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc

If you ar looking for a decent breakfast sandwich try the Sunrise Bagel/expresso stands. Decent food and coffee and they are all over the place nowadays.
That was a surprise too, here in Fairbanks, little coffee "sheds" literally on every corner, today I am pretty sure I saw three next to each other, on Noble near airport.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Poutine, there is nothing like curd cheese and brown gravy on fries.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
That's too bad. I remember Jeffrey's had awesome fresh fruit pies in the summer months. Oh well...

Isn't there already a carwash at the corner of Old Steese and College, in the parking lot of the Office Max? Guess you can't have too many carwashes in a town like Fairbanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 AM

For you guys that left,,don't forget the 4 ft snowbanks and -40 temps.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Yea, -35 to -40 for a month on end. Boy, WE sure miss every "person" that left for a warmer climate. I went to school in the states and when I was down there, the biggest thing I missed was the clear blue skies. But with all the co-eds running around, I did not really look "up" all that much... It was more like "how are both of, er, I mean how you doing doing today...?"
Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
So they also are in the US? Nice.

Yep, they have 2 here in Groton, CT.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Boy, WE sure miss every "person" that left for a warmer climate.
Trading to Fairbanks isn't much better

I am glad to be here though, but a "Timmy's" would make it a little better...

Quick Reply: Something I miss about Canada...