Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The Soldier

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Soldier

The average age of the military man is 19 years.<br>He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal<br>circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either.<br><br>He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm Howitzers.<br><br>He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk. He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.<br><br>He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a<br>professional. He can march until he is told to stop or stop until<br>he is told to march. He obeys orders instantly and without<br>hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.<br><br>He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to lean his rifle.<br><br>He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.<br><br>He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job. He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime.<br><br>He has stood atop mountains of dead bodies, and helped to create them. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed.<br><br>He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to 'square-away' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.<br><br>Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the American Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 200 years. He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding.<br><br>Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.<br>
Old 03-28-2003, 10:09 AM

Re:The Soldier

well said...
Old 03-28-2003, 10:37 AM

Thank God we have more of them then those other ones who haven't got a clue. Why is it that these fine young men are fighting so hard to preserve the right to freedom of speech and yet the &quot;others&quot; work so hard to deny us our freedom of movement and other civil rights? Meaningful protest is one thing, disruptive protest is completely another and is not a freedom of speech. Sorry, got carried away.<br><br>~Dave
Old 03-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't know Dave, I remember seeing this in the 60's and 70's as well. people are bored with their lives and will jump on any band wagon that comes along.<br><br> I for one will not forget all that the people in the Armed Forces, and those public servants as well who stand between us and danger, do to keep us safe.<br><br> If you see a soldier, go shake his or her hand and thank them for what they do.<br><br> It will be a great experience for the both of you.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:25 AM

These young men and women that serve our country, both those that wear a uniform and those that don't, have sworn an oath to defend their country to the death. It is the only profession that requires such a solemn promise, and they VOLUNTEER for it.<br><br>I, for one, am beginning to lose my patience with people who refuse to educate themselves on this (or any) issue before they open their mouth. I'm certain that I'll not go around putting old training into use, but I can tell you that I'm sick and tired of people talking about &quot;peace&quot; just to hear their heads rattle. I'd prefer that they find another cause, such as protecting the golden-cheek warbler ;D<br><br>I've tried my best to stay out of these threads, because I generally start thinking about good friends that never came home. Right now, though, my patriotic blood is beginning to boil....Wish I wasn't too old and slow for the cloak-and-dagger stuff now...
Old 03-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Banned

Thaks TP<br><br>God Bless each and every one of them.<br><br>Peter
Old 03-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My father was a Marine. <br>Even though he was out of the service before I came along, he intrenched a deep respect into me for all men and women, past and present who have served and/or is still serving this country!<br><br>May God bless our troops and the families that stand behind them!<br><br>Rich.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:50 PM

I work at American Express and one person who works for me might get called up at any moment. Great guy who does more than he is asked and does not ask for much. His wife is 6 months along and is still willing to go. I have complete respect for him.<br><br>The good thing about American Express is they pay employees their full pay not just bridge the difference between the military and normal pay plus full benefits. If he goes, he will be missed by my team.<br><br>God bless our troops!