Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Skid steer electrical is making me CRAZY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skid steer electrical is making me CRAZY!

Hubby's main machine is a 2004 John Deere 250 skid steer, on big goodyear rubber tracks - he's got LOTSA attachable toys to go with it, and makes our living with this machine.

The past year, it has been plagued with electrical problems - SPENDY problems. It started just up and quitting in the middle of something - engine still running, but the whole shebang locked up tight - brake, boom lock, everything. New instrument panel and a whopping bill later, she's running again. This fall, as soon as the first damp cold dripping mornings came, she suddenly won't start - tech comes out again - of course he doesn't get there until it's bright and sunny, and cannot replicate the issue (popping the key switch circuit fuse). He left a 20 amp breaker in place of the fuse (with another hefty bill).

Now, hubby and machine are 6 hours south of us on a job - and it quits again, at least with the boom just high enough that with a fistfull of fuses, he was able to get it onto the trailer to bring home. Boom never did unlock.

I have ordered the JD tech manual for the machine and am praying I can find a bypass or workaround to get this thing running again - I do not patently give a hoot in hades about the interlock crap the safety ***** have piled on all this new machinery, so if any of that has to go bye-bye to make the faults go away, so be it! The backup alarm will be first to go - he says it nearly always quits going into reverse....

Does anyone out there have any info that will help me get this critter back to the fine running beast it was before the cascade of e-failures started?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 PM

You might try posting this over on heavyequipmentforums.com. Without looking at it in person it's tough to diagnose problems especially electrical! John Deeres have had their share of electrical problems (at least the ones I have worked on) and it sounds like they need to FIX this issue for you instead of just slapping bandaids on it! Good luck to you, I hope you get it figured out!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Have you checked out most of the wiring for a short? Spent a whole day on a 70XT looking for a wiring problem, turns out a wire moved and got pinched in the ignition and was shorting things out. Caused a lot of funky problems.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If your problems can be caused by moisture it is going to be a PIA to find them- but in a lot of cases we got this kind of stuff sorted out by checking all the contacts and applying a massive amount of silicone spray on the wiring loom.

If you don't find it while dry- water it and check again- (my shop teacher in the 80s about electrical problems)

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try checking out the plug to the seatbelt. if it does not read that the seatbelt is in the whole machine will not move and come to a grinding halt. thats what it sounds like to me i have an 08 325 and used to have an 01 260