Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Since there’s no new break room, use this one.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Evenin' all! Been MIA again for a few weeks but I've been busy taking care of the family. They were all involved in a head on collision Christmas eve. The other guy was driving too fast and couldn't stop for the car in front of him so he swerved into the oncoming lane and head on in to my wife and kids.

-img_4969.jpg

Her van did it's job and crumpled up around her and everyone else. They were all able to limp away. Broken right arm for the wife that required a plate to hold it all together, Uncle Bob shattered his pelvis and broke a femur (he got some new hardware installed too), one kid broke a finger and sprained a wrist, the littlest one has has a goods case of whiplash and everyone got beat to snot by the seat belts and airbags. Could have been much worse but gratefully everyone will heal.

Christmas in the ER wasn't exactly how I planned for this year to end but 2018 has to be a better year right?

I'll put on some Coffee for any night owls even if it's only for me.....
Old 01-10-2018, 05:28 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ofcmarc, very sorry to read this.
Trauma like that will take its time to heal but you have them all alive.
Prayers for a Speedy recovery.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Prayers for a Speedy recovery.
Thanks Scotty.

Follow up with the trauma surgeon this afternoon. Hopefully all is on track for a full recovery for the wife. She's tired of laying around the house with her arm elevated....
Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Evenin' all! Been MIA again for a few weeks but I've been busy taking care of the family. They were all involved in a head on collision Christmas eve. The other guy was driving too fast and couldn't stop for the car in front of him so he swerved into the oncoming lane and head on in to my wife and kids.

I'll put on some Coffee for any night owls even if it's only for me.....
OUCH - - OUCH - - - NASTY. Kinda stupid response - - move over and hit a car that is coming at you rather than one that is stopped. So sorry, Marc. We never know when we push that button and put it in drive what might happen. Really stupid people out there with a driver's license. Fortunately I have driven millions of miles in my life and never had an accident or ticket. (probably should not have said that - - be VERY careful today, Bob.) Well, I have had accidents on the race track, but not the highway. Prayers for the family are flowing.

Coffee still smells good, so only made ph00. Lary liked his sprinkles. Well good. Interesting they were there just as you are getting back and remembered us. Y'all have a great day, stay warm up north and careful where you step - - might hit a pee spot - - or worse.............

Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
I have driven millions of miles in my life and never had an accident or ticket. (probably should not have said that - - be VERY careful today, Bob.)
Better knock on some wood and stroke your lucky rabbit's foot after that kind of bragging.....

Y'all have a great day, stay warm up north and careful where you step - - might hit a pee spot - - or worse.............
The pee spots are nothing at -25*. They are frozen over and usually have a bit more traction than the regular ice.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Prayers sent from WV for ofcmark and family. Sorry your Christmas eve went that way but very happy everyone is alive

Still no water on the mountain the snow is turning yellow in spots not sure what is causing that lol
Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Prayers sent from WV for ofcmark and family. Sorry your Christmas eve went that way but very happy everyone is alive

Still no water on the mountain the snow is turning yellow in spots not sure what is causing that lol
Thanks Top.

If you have the well head thawed out, Might try putting a welder on the copper supply line between the well head and somewhere easy to get at inside the house like the pressure tank. Leave the welder set on it's lowest setting and it'll heat up the copper line and thaw that out too.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Thanks Top.

If you have the well head thawed out, Might try putting a welder on the copper supply line between the well head and somewhere easy to get at inside the house like the pressure tank. Leave the welder set on it's lowest setting and it'll heat up the copper line and thaw that out too.
At the cabin in the mountains in California, neighbor had the head of his well covered/wrapped in insulation, water-proofed and line coming out insulated even though buried about 12". On the vicious nights he would set an outside faucet to drip - - he never froze - - we did.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Christmas excitement there ofcmarc.
It is clear blue sky, sunny and 32F here today. Good times!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Bob, I wasn't here or I would have let the water trickle....oh well I like living out of a canteen

Mark, All the metal parts are thawed my problem is in the plastic line buried under the concrete sidewalks at who knows what depth? High 50s next 3 days I should have water any day now
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 AM

On the vicious nights he would set an outside faucet to drip - - he never froze - - we did.
That works for a short term cold snap I suppose and I've used that trick before as well.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
All the metal parts are thawed my problem is in the plastic line buried under the concrete sidewalks at who knows what depth?
That's one of the biggest drawbacks to the plastic lines, but they do survive the freezing better than a metal line.

Evenin' all! Coffee is on for any night owl who are brave enough to spend the night in this place......
Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 AM

Mornin all - - and Marc has the coffee on - - going to go ahead with that and ph00ey on the ph00 ph00 today. I did bring some nasty looking apple fritters in - - nasty things. Wait a minute - - I have to finish mine................

In the mid 70's today but starting out with a light fog. Going outside to work in the lanai. It has been neglected and the plants are pouting. Going to feed them, prune a bit where they are ready to burst their pot.

Y'all have a great day. ........................
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Mornin all - - and Marc has the coffee on - - going to go ahead with that and ph00ey on the ph00 ph00 today. I did bring some nasty looking apple fritters in - - nasty things.
Bite your tongue sir! Fritters can be considered healthy food. They have apples in them and hence, good for you!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Mornin' all. Thanks for the cawfee. Slept in this morning and only got up at 06:00. Very seldom do this.

Marc, that accident looks horrible. From the photo it looks like even the roof is caved in, so presume the the van is a writeoff. Hope that the insurance comes through quickly for a replacement. Also pray that your family all make a quick and total recovery.

Bob, how dare you bring apple fritters here! Now I am forced to eat one - or two. No room now for my usual healthy breakfast.

As usual, got lots of 'stuff' to do today, so as soon as the temperature gets up to a decent 70 degrees will head outside. In the meantime will suffer with another coffee and a 'healthy' fritter.

Ciao.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Marc, that accident looks horrible. From the photo it looks like even the roof is caved in, so presume the the van is a writeoff. Hope that the insurance comes through quickly for a replacement. Also pray that your family all make a quick and total recovery.
Thanks Stan.
Yes, It was totaled. I got a decent payout from the insurance co but nowhere near what it was worth to me..... That van was paid off and never gave us a bit of trouble since we bought it new in '06. Now I have a car payment again that I really didn't want..... Oh well

Also, Fritters are healthy for you.....

Quick Reply: Since there’s no new break room, use this one.